Aic7xxx Settings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendenm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Aic7xxx Settings Reply with quote

Okay I have a Tyan motherboard with an embedded Adaptec controler (module Aic7xxx).

Well the boot/install CD recognizes it just fine and installs it without a hickup.

However, when I compile the kernel and include it with it's default settings on boot up I get tons of problems. It seems to be going through and trying to send commands to each ID and LUN. Most of course which have no device attached.

How does the boot cd handle this. Is there a file I forgot to compile or a drive mapping or something?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a silly question, but which one of the two aic7xxx drivers did you choose?
Brendenm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
This is probably a silly question, but which one of the two aic7xxx drivers did you choose?

I chose the newer of the two, since the old one is no longer being maintained.

I found something on google finally that talked about possible interference from ACPI. So I removed that and recompiled. It "seems" to work, as in I can boot and login but the SCSI identification takes F.....O.....R.....E.....V.....E.....R.
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: SCSI Termination Reply with quote

I'm sure you already checked, but....

... are you sure that your last SCSI device is terminated properly? Improperly terminated SCSI can cause all kinds of weird stuff - or at least it has for me in the past.

Just a thought.
Brendenm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought of the SCSI termination bit also, but I checked that and all works fine.

I've been running NT and 2000 and XP on this box without changing any hardware configuration. I have also run other distribs of Linux (Mandrake, Debian, RedHat, etc) and they didn't seem to have a problem.

Hmmmm I read something about ACPI could this possibly cause it?
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aic7xxx Settings Reply with quote

Brendenm wrote:

However, when I compile the kernel and include it with it's default settings on boot up I get tons of problems. It seems to be going through and trying to send commands to each ID and LUN. Most of course which have no device attached.

I also got this SCSI card, and I also get these messages. But this are not error messages, just normal information.

The only problem I had was the default setting for "Initial bus reset delay" (5000 ms). I didn't want to wait 5 s for the SCSI card, therefore I changed it to 500 ms. Haven't had any problem yet. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: