View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Enabling RAID autodetection in kernel Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to setup software RAID on a brand new Gentoo 1.2 install - following the software RAID installation instructions. Everything works fine, except that I can't seem to find where to enable the RAID autodetection option when configuring the kernel. I thought it was supposed to be in the RAID/LVM section, but I don't see it there. So, of course, my system is not able to mount the root filesystem - GRUB comes up, but when I hit enter, I get a kernel panic error.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support, you can select options for promise and higpoint controllers. I have a promise fasttrack controller, and the options I have selected to enable support for it are:
PROMISE PDC202{46|62|65|67|68|69|70} support
-- Special Fasttrack Feature

and

Support for IDE Raid controllers
Support Promise software RAID (Fasttrack(tm))
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at that computer right now, but I don't think that's what I need - I'm using SCSI drives (with an Adaptec controller), but it's not a RAID controller. I'm using software RAID.

... unless maybe I didn't understand your reply...

If you look here http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-raid1/?dwzone=linux there's an article (by Daniel Robbins, actually) that has a screen shot of what I'm talking about. Under the Mulit-device support section, there is an option for Auto Detect support - which I don't have when I do make menuconfig (actually, I don't have the Boot support option either).

Does anyone know why? I already tried a vanilla kernel, but I got the same thing.

Help!
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked one of my gentoo machines with a RAID in it, and that option "Auto Detect Support" isnt there either. Under "Mutiple devices driver support (RAID and LVM)" I only have "RAID support", "RAID-0", and "RAID-1" compiled into the kernel, no modules.

Going back to your problem. While in fdisk did you change all partitions that are going to be in the RAID into type "fd" (the label under "System" when printing the partiton table should be "Linux raid autodetect.")

What does your /boot/grub/menu.1st look like? Specifically what device does root point to?

- Chris
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same kernel settings as you: RAID Support, RAID0 & RAID1 compiled in - no modules.

In fdisk, I set all of the partitions to fd (and I double checked them to make sure I didn't forget!) - they all say Linux raid autodetect. Actually, I used the same partitioning scheme as in your docs (except that my drives are SCSI):

Code:
/dev/sda1   100MB       type: fd  *bootable*
/dev/sda2   512MB       type: fd  (I have 256MB of memory in that machine)
/dev/sda3   <the rest>  type: fd

... and the exact same thing for /dev/sdb - including the bootable flag.

My menu.lst is also the same as in your docs:

Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 1.2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/md2

When I boot, I get the Grub screen with no problem (so I assume that all of my SCSI modules are loading OK, otherwise I wouldn't even get that far), but when I hit enter, I get a kernel panic. I'm not at that computer right now, so I don't have the exact message, but it was definitely a problem with trying to mount the root filesystem.

I'm using the standard Gentoo kernel, and the stage 3 tarball from a 1.2 CD, all of which has worked perfectly for several other (non-RAID) installations.

I followed your docs exactly, and everything went perfectly, except when I ran mkraid I had to use -force on all three of the devices. I've actually scrapped the whole thing and started over about 3 or 4 times (including fdisk-ing the drives), and each time I had to use -force to get mkraid to work on all 3 devices. However, it worked fine: the drives synced without a hitch, and everything went perfectly after that. Also, after it wouldn't boot, I booted from the Install CD, built /etc/raidtab again, and was able to successfully run raidstart, mount the filesystems, etc. and it all worked fine. So it looks like all the RAID stuff is working OK - /proc/mdstat looked fine at that point too.

The only thing I did different than your docs is that I used ext3 on /dev/md0 and on /dev/md2. But I don't see how that should make a difference - and the last time I even tried just using ext2 instaed, but I got the same result.

Any ideas? If you want the exact text of the panic error, let me know, and I'll try it when I get home and post it here.

Thanks!
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That -force on the mkraid worries me, you shouldn't have had to do that. But I guess if it did start and sync ok I guess it doesn't matter. During the install did you (after making the RAIDs)
Code:
cat /proc/mdstat

If so do you rememeber if all the RAIDs were [UU]?

Reading over what you said I dont see anything obviously wrong. And it seems the only difference between our setups is that you use scsi. I have never done a grub config with scsi drives, so when you get home boot into single user mode and enter grub, then type:
Code:
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Make sure that the output of that command is the same as your root param in menu.lst. If it doesn't match, there is your problem. If not, post the text of the boot error and we will go from there

- Chris
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto-detection is actually created when you set the type of partition ...you should ahve created the partitions you wanted to use as part of your raid setup the changed the partition type to fd...this is lsr autodetection...then in the kernel just enable the raid level you are you using...you can enable all of them but if your only using raid 0 why have linear and mirroring compiled in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just to make sure I didn't screw anything up, I started from scratch again. I ran fdisk on both drives, and just to be sure, I removed all the partitions wrote the (blank) partition table, then started fdisk again and re-built the partition tables, and verified that they were all set to type fd. I checked the RAID status (/proc/mdstat) after each mkraid command, and everything looked good. Here is what /proc/mdstat looked like after all the disks had finished syncing:

Code:
Personalities : [raid0] [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md2 : active raid1 scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3[1] scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3[0]
   1461824 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid0 scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2[1] scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2[0]
   1060096 blocks 32k chunks

md0 : active raid1 scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1[1] scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1[0]
   104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

Everything looked OK at that point, although I did have to use -force again on all three mkraid calls. Hmmm....

Anyway, when I got to the Grub configuration, I verified that I was using the right argument for root, and I was: (hd0,0). Although, when I ran find /boot/grub/stage1 at the grub> prompt, I got (hd0,0) and (hd1,0), presumably because I made both drives bootable. Is that the right thing to do?

Everything else went as usual; I had no problems mounting the RAID filesystems, or anything like that. I even checked /proc/mdstat several times throughout the installation to make sure that everyone was happy, and I saw no problems. When configuring the kernel, I made sure to include RAID support, RAID0 and RAID1 - not as modules.

So I finished up, unmounted everything and rebooted. After the reboot, the Grub screen came up so I hit enter. Linux started to load - the usual screenfuls of stuff flying by - until I got the same kernel panic error. Here's the interesting stuff from the screen at the point when it failed:

Code:
... USB stuff ...
md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.

... some IP stuff...

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:02, iso_blknum=16, block=32
XFS: bad magic number
XFS: SB validate failed
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02

I'm not sure what to think at this point. When I was setting up the disks, I distinctly remember seeing that the superblocks were written successfully, and I got no errors at all. I'm starting to wonder if this is some kind of funky SCSI issue...

I'm also wondering why I'm getting messages from EXT3, EXT2, and XFS, when I'm only using EXT3. Is that a problem?

Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'm all ears...

Thanks again!
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. The previous (guest) reply was from me - I guess I wasn't logged in...

Anyway, one other thing: is it possible that the drives and SCSI card I'm using are too old to support the autodetection stuff? They're good (adaptec card, seagate drives), but they're pretty old... I don't think it should make a difference, but I just thought I'd ask.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure what your doing wrong ... i have set up raid 0 several times on both ide and scsi drives...right now i am running gentoo on three scsi seagate cheetahs....i partitioned the drives with three 500mb primary partitions on each drive sda1 is boot sdb1 and sdc1 are swap...then i created extended partitions with the remainder of each drive and one logical partiton in each extended partition so that /dev/md0 consists of sda5,sdb5 and sdc5

/etc/raidtab looked like this

raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level 0
nr-raid-disks 3
persistent-superblock 1
chunk-size 32
device /dev/sda5
raid-disk 0
device /dev/sdb5
raid-disk 1
device /dev/sdc5
raid-disk 2

then when you issue the mkraid it reads from this file...but i know your getting this far...as for the force option having to be executed it seems that the superblock adn raid array is still being seen thats why it is asking you to force it...you should try 'mkraid --really-force /dev/md?...this will ensure that you are over writting the old raid if its persisting for some reason.

you could also try erasing the /dev/md? partition by using if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md? bs=1k , i think thats the right code

if you feel like it post your grub config the raidtab your creating and fstab.
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say I'm using the -force option to mkraid, I'm actually using --really-force, so that's covered. I haven't tried explicitly erasing /dev/md? - maybe I'll try that next. If you look a couple of posts back, you'll see my Grub configuration. Here's my raidtab:

Code:
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              1
nr-raid-disks           2
chunk-size              32
persistent-superblock   1
device                  /dev/sda1
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/sdb1
raid-disk               1

raiddev                 /dev/md1
raid-level              0
device                  /dev/sda2
device                  /dev/sdb2

raiddev                 /dev/md2
raid-level              1
device                  /dev/sda3
device                  /dev/sdb3

My fstab looks like this:

Code:
/dev/md0      /boot     ext3      noauto,noatime     1 2
/dev/md2      /         ext3      noatime            0 1
/dev/md1      swap      swap      defaults           0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660      noauto,ro      0 0
proc         /proc      proc      defaults           0 0

That's it. Do you think that the superblocks are not getting written properly? Is there any way to check the superblocks other than by booting? I don't think raidstart needs them - it uses raidtab, right?

At this point, I'd even consider scrapping the autodetection thing and just putting whatever I need to start RAID manually into the startup scripts - not as pretty, but maybe it would work...

Again, any help/ideas/suggestions are appreciated!
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the problem is with your RAID, I think it is with your filesystem. You shouldn't have had to do the -force option when making the RAIDs, what was on these drives before this gentoo install? You might be getting XFS and ext2 errors because of rements of past filesystems. Have you tried zero'ing the drives?

Also, what kernel options have you enabled under "file systems"?

And since we are dealing with SCSI here, your sure that you chain is terminated and that all cables are in good condition? What SCSI speed are you using (wide, Ultra Wide, Ultra2, etc)?

Sorry about not having any answers for you, but we are elimating possible problem areas.

- Chris
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chatwood makes a couple of good suggestions....the zero'ing out of the partitions would be a good idea and obviously checking your hardware would be a must.

i really cant see anything that shouldnt work for you from what you have posted....although i have not tried to mirror the boot partition myself ,i know it can be done.

also when you have issued the --really-force command did you first attempt to just use raidstart /dev/md? ...... that should have worked because the reason to use the -foce option is to over-write an existing raid device
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna check what filesystems I have compiled into the kernel when I get home, and see if there's any extraneous stuff in there. I already checked, re-checked, and checked again all of the SCSI stuff (I've been burned by SCSI before) and everything looks good. I agree with the -force thing, I'm gonna wipe those drives when I get home and start over (again!) and see what I get. I've used those drives for Linux before (never for RAID, though) so I can't be sure what was on there when I started - although I'm sure that EXT2 was on there at some point, but definitely never XFS. Hmmm...

When I -force'ed mkraid, I didn't try raidstart first (at least not the very first time), but I do remember the error I got from mkraid when I tried it without -force said something about already finding EXT2 on the drive. I didn't think much about it at the time - I figured mkraid would just write over whatever was there, but that may be part of the problem: if I just finished telling fdisk to make all the partitions type fd, why would mkraid see EXT2 anywhere on the drive?

Any suggestions on the best way to zero the drives? I was thinking about doing a low-level format through the SCSI utilities. That ought to do it, huh?

As usual, thanks for the help and suggestions!
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it sees the persistent superblock and assumes that there is or was a raided device and warns you.

but if you write the zero mask to the entire drive and then repartition and set the raidtab again you should be ok....create boot as a primary and swap as a primary then / as a logical drive inside an extended partition...i am assuming that boot and swap are relatively small...mine are

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: ISO file system ??? Reply with quote

Comparing with common mount errors at command line, I believe kernel tries all possibilities
when autodetected. Look at error reports when fstab is set to default mount
floppy or cdrom drives and they are not set correctly or MT --It tries all f/system for drive type, enabled in kernel - before giving up - after several passes.
The odd >>ext2, xfs<< may be same type of attempts. Note order 3 - 2- iso-xfs
ever had any hard drive using cdrom iso9660 specs ?
Zero - isn't that same as dd useage for zeroing a file directory for swap useage
Not swap (partition) If so, it would be dd if=/dev/zero of=/ (target)
Syntax aside, why would it be required, one drive- doubtful, all -??? (grasping 4 straws)
After install - before reboot - have U tried an unmounted e2fsck, ( &/or w/8193)
I would suspect loader has been pointed at wrong path for getting file info ??
Think of alternate ways to check, re re re the same things may relieve stress
but only reconfirms those things still don't cure anything.
If really frustrated, do something else - totally non-computer related. The
sub-concious often works best on its own.
OO curiosity no b/up, extra levels of errors being introduced why Software raid ?? Good hunting 3x9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: persistent superblock Reply with quote

Re persistent theory
reposition hard drives to eliminate hitting same bad block ???
Quick install of any other O/sys (un-Gen2) even old [ A:\ > sys. com C: \ ]
to transfer ios.sys & msdos.sys from Dos rescue floppy (two minutes) would rule out anything SCSI related one drive only needed ?

3x9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: autodetect Reply with quote

Damn this login & out thing, every time go to other site, lose page for forum !

Anyhow, if not detected properly, how would you be able to open drives for
partitioning, then mke2fs ?
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I low level formatted both drives, then started over, and I got the same thing. I'm gonna try installing another OS on the drives and make sure they boot OK, as soon as I get a chance.

Is there any reason you suggested that I make the boot and swap partitions primary and the rest extended? I've been making all 3 partitions primary each time - do you think that may be part of the problem? BTW I have my other Linux box setup with 3 primary partitions, and it works fine.

Thanks
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run all primary partitions on my machines.

Last night I installed gentoo on a machine following my software RAID how-to and ran into zero problems. So, its not like there is a huge problem with the docs, there is just some strange issue with your machine.

- Chris
km
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I thought all primary was OK.

Yeah, I have absolutely no problems with your docs either - I agree that it's definitely something screwy with the setup I'm running. As much as I hate to say it, I'm afraid it might be hardware at this point. I'm gonna see if I can scrape up the stuff I need to try it again with different drives, and/or a different SCSI controller - or maybe I'll try it on another machine, maybe it's something weird with the BIOS...
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: You are not alone Reply with quote

I don't think the problem is hardware. I have a brand new machine that seems to work fine with Windows and with Gentoo without software RAID. When I try to use software RAID, however, things get messed up, and I get the same problem as you. My drives are ext2, ReiserFS and XFS, so I'm using an XFS kernel (can the Gentoo kernel handle XFS?). I see no kernel option for enabling RAID autodetection, so I get a "cannot mount root FS" error at boot. Here's my /etc/raidtab:
Code:
# /boot (RAID 1)
raiddev         /dev/md0
raid-level      1
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda5
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde5
raid-disk      1

# / (RAID 0)
raiddev         /dev/md1
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda6
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde6
raid-disk      1

# /usr (RAID0)
raiddev         /dev/md2
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda7
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde7
raid-disk      1

# /tmp (RAID0)
raiddev         /dev/md3
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda8
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde8
raid-disk      1

# /var (RAID0)
raiddev         /dev/md4
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda10
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde10
raid-disk      1

# misc 1
raiddev         /dev/md5
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda11
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde11
raid-disk      1

# misc 2
raiddev         /dev/md6
raid-level      0
nr-raid-disks      2
chunk-size      32
device         /dev/hda12
raid-disk      0
device         /dev/hde12
raid-disk      1

chatwood2's RAID docs are great. The only problem is that they don't say to copy /etc/raidtab to /mnt/gentoo/etc before chrooting to /mnt/gentoo (that burned me the first time).
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: You are not alone Reply with quote

Yama wrote:
chatwood2's RAID docs are great. The only problem is that they don't say to copy /etc/raidtab to /mnt/gentoo/etc before chrooting to /mnt/gentoo (that burned me the first time).

Forget what I said here. I must've been reading an older version of the docs. Either that or I'm blind :lol:
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: All fixed (I think) Reply with quote

I think everything's under control now. I recently discovered that XFS doesn't play nicely with Gentoo's kernel optimisations, so I decided to reformat my XFS filesystems to ReiserFS (after first using dd to wipe them clean). I then emerged the Gentoo kernel sources and configured my own kernel. There is no option for RAID autodetection, but it appears that it is bundled in if you compile RAID directly into the kernel (not as a module). My RAID devices worked perfectly after installing the new kernel and rebooting.

chatwood2, thanks for the excellent tutorial!
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run the vanilla kernel and never have trouble...everytime i would run a gentoo or jp kernel something would get messed up...so to get one added thing i would be loosing two it seemed.

xfs was a miserable performer and reisersfs blew up on me and i lost the ability to boot, so this last install i went to vanilla kernel and ext3 and everything is stable as well as fast.

on my lsr raid 0 array running hdparm i get

rommel # hdparm -tT /dev/md0

/dev/md0:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.47 seconds =272.34 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 0.82 seconds = 78.05 MB/sec
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: