update that doesnt need to recompile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: update that doesnt need to recompile Reply with quote

well it just occured to me that many of these -r1, -r2, etc releases contain the same exact files but fix silly things like symbolic link errors, and file locations.

why should we need to recompile the whole package for this? would it be possible (i imagine it COULD be fairly simple) to have the ebuilds have a section that says "if upgrading from version x.xx then just move the files from A to B.

all i know right now I am (happily) recompiling my kde-libs....most likely to fix some silly missing link or somthing :P

what do you guys think?

proxy
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: update that doesnt need to recompile Reply with quote

proxy wrote:
what do you guys think?

Well, yeah, this would work, but it would require more thought from the ebuild maintainers, so it's not likely. ;)

Though, an upgrade function would be nice in the case of, say, the kernel source trees; once could generate a new source tree using incremental diffs instead of downloading the whole 30 MB shindig again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: