Winchester woman finds 3ft wasp nest on bed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Winchester woman finds 3ft wasp nest on bed Reply with quote

You'll like the picture...
Quote:
A Hampshire pest controller said he took on "the biggest job of his career", after being called to deal with a nest of more than 5,000 wasps.

John Birkett, of Longwood Services Pest Control, said removing the 3ft (91cm) nest from a bed in Winchester was his most unusual job in 45 years.

He said it would have been "extremely dangerous" if the homeowner had tried to remove it herself.

He added: "I just stood back in amazement."

The nest was discovered by a woman at her house in St Cross, in an unused spare room, where a small window had been left open.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-28949601

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it was an unused spare room - why remove the nest at all? Wasps are our friends! They eat those disgusting flies and evil horseflies and mosquitos!

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
so it was an unused spare room - why remove the nest at all? Wasps are our friends! They eat those disgusting flies and evil horseflies and mosquitos!
do they? I didn't know that.

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasps aren't hard to deal with. You just blast them with a CO2 fire extinguisher, and they become virtually immobile (from the cold). That way, you're not needlessly killing them, and you're not spraying what amounts to nerve toxin all over the place. You then just sweep them into a garbage bag, then empty said bag into your neighbor's basement window.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Wasps aren't hard to deal with. You just blast them with a CO2 fire extinguisher, and they become virtually immobile (from the cold). That way, you're not needlessly killing them, and you're not spraying what amounts to nerve toxin all over the place. You then just sweep them into a garbage bag, then empty said bag into your neighbor's basement window.
Speaking from experience?

You know there are enough numbnuts on this forum who'd give that a try and get bitten by wasps while doing that.

I can clearly see cokehabit looking for an extinguisher now.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Speaking from experience?

You know there are enough numbnuts on this forum who'd give that a try and get bitten by wasps while doing that.

I can clearly see cokehabit looking for an extinguisher now.

Yes, speaking from experience. I've never had to deal with a wasp nest quite that big, but it's close. I once had a paper wasp nest that was spherical and nearly two feet in diameter.

If you're afraid to try and use the fire extinguisher method, another way is the Saddam Hussein method. Just go the store and get a bug bomb (a.k.a. "fogger"). They're like $15 to 20. Get one for wasps. You just set it off in there and then close the door (maybe throw a damp towel along the bottom of the door to seal it off). Then after the prescribed time, you just go back in and they're all dead. If it's a child's bedroom, you might not want to go this route or you might wake your child up one morning to discover they have transformed into a tiny Ozzy Osbourne.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, even simple wasp removal is now too dangerous for the average Brit. Just get a bug bomb, set it in the room, close and seal the door and air vents.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug bombs are American. People elsewhere in the world aren't quite as comfortable with NAPALM as Americans are.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have derka-derka ones too.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't you have to be strapped to one to be able to use it?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
We have derka-derka ones too.
:lol:

porodzila wrote:
Wow, even simple wasp removal is now too dangerous for the average Brit. Just get a bug bomb, set it in the room, close and seal the door and air vents.
While I may be able to do it, I'd prefer to pay someone to remove something that large inside my house. I'd even be hesitant to try a bug bomb for fear that not all of them would be affected. A few stings are one thing, but hundreds? No thanks.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of people who are complete wussies when it comes to bees, wasps and hornets for some reason. I think it's a phobia. Phobias create markets, such as "sedation dentistry" and "open MRI".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of experience. For other projects, there are the multiple trips to the home improvement or automotive stores, skinned knuckles, etc. Given the potential fallout, I see no reason to START playing exterminator with something that large. I'm also going to leave others to train 9 y/o kids on automatic weapons. Though I'm more than happy to applaud your success or failure.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of reminds me of the flies in The Amityville Horror.
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for the bug bomb to work you'd have to close the window. With a nest that big in the room, I'd probably be too much of a sissy to close the window.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were willing to brave the room to close the window and seal off the room one wouldn't even need a bug bomb -- just time.

No food, no water . . .

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
If you were willing to brave the room to close the window and seal off the room one wouldn't even need a bug bomb -- just time.

No food, no water . . .

I wouldn't bet on it. They have a way of getting into or out of anywhere. They find a small crack that a draft is coming through, and they chew away the wood to make a larger hole.

Cold will immobilize them, but you can also use smoke to calm them down (when there's smoke in the air, they can't receive each other's 'Democrat pheromones' where one of them panics and the rest go ape-shit without even knowing why).

CO2 fire extinguisher is the most human / green. Bug bomb is the easiest. Throwing gas on it and then a match is the most fun, but in this case I suppose that would take the house too.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, Mr Birkett did manage to save the owner's crocheted blanket.

And all was well...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until she finds out that the wasps built the nest there because they are attracted to sex pheromones, and her nephew had been banging her maid there and left a huge, nasty wet spot on the bed.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go into there to close/block off a window. Why bother when you can just pay people to do it?

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the British nanny state doesn't do this as a government service; after all, how can you trust a mere citizen to make such a decision?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
I'm surprised the British nanny state doesn't do this as a government service; after all, how can you trust a mere citizen to make such a decision?
Unlike your society we operate a legal and judicial system that has grown over the centuries to be superior from one decade to the other.

When you ask whether the UK has suspended habeas corpus for the first time in 700 years then you can comment, until then you can stop your mouth violating these forums with your effluence because it's been less than a decade in the cesspit you live in

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCokey wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Unlike your society we operate a legal and judicial system that has grown over the centuries to be superior from one decade to the other.

When you ask whether the UK has suspended habeas corpus for the first time in 700 years then you can comment, until then you can stop your mouth violating these forums with your effluence because it's been less than a decade in the cesspit you live in
Please stick to the topic.

BK has raised a very good point. Why isn't the state taking care of this? Does the state care about its people? I think not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: