If you can't compete, ban it.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: If you can't compete, ban it. Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28788142
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thing happened in France...
BlackCabs tried in the UK (holding similar militant blocking of london akin to what worked in Paris) and it was taken to the crown but uber was deemed to be legal

Shame protectionistic laws coming into play
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! I hope that crap is banned everywhere soon.

Uber is a complete rip off, the drivers are sucked dry and if anything happens, Uber, who made the money is of course not responsible - and the insurance companies won't pay...

Next step: hang those guys behind it.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Uber is an app. Just like you can download it and call a "taxi" the drivers can download it and register it to be a "taxi driver." Uber expects the driver to have a car and everything else that would allow him to ferry commuters.

So, why is it do you think Uber is ripping off drivers? Drivers are free to not register for Uber and they're free not to pick up a request when made by a customer. What's the problem?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Uber is an app. Just like you can download it and call a "taxi" the drivers can download it and register it to be a "taxi driver." Uber expects the driver to have a car and everything else that would allow him to ferry commuters.

So, why is it do you think Uber is ripping off drivers? Drivers are free to not register for Uber and they're free not to pick up a request when made by a customer. What's the problem?
It's 'cause the app was made by 'murricans, and Krauts hate 'murrican companies. For reasons such as "they'll make taxi-like services cheaper! Those bastards!"

Seriously, if taxis in Krautland were reasonably priced then Uber would never have gotten popular there in the first place. Of course the typically Krautian solution to that is to try and get it banned, not the sensible "well, maybe we should rethink the pricing policy."

I mean, look at energyladdy's argument: the insurance won't pay if shit goes south. Yeah, that's nobody's problem but the taxi drivers'. if they're willing to take that risk, LET THEM for fuck's sake.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Good! I hope that crap is banned everywhere soon.

Uber is a complete rip off, the drivers are sucked dry and if anything happens, Uber, who made the money is of course not responsible - and the insurance companies won't pay...

Next step: hang those guys behind it.
In addition to notageek's and mdeininger's comments, another app could compete with Uber to provide better profit sharing for drivers.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
notageek wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's 'cause the app was made by 'murricans, and Krauts hate 'murrican companies. For reasons such as "they'll make taxi-like services cheaper! Those bastards!"

Seriously, if taxis in Krautland were reasonably priced then Uber would never have gotten popular there in the first place. Of course the typically Krautian solution to that is to try and get it banned, not the sensible "well, maybe we should rethink the pricing policy."

I mean, look at energyladdy's argument: the insurance won't pay if shit goes south. Yeah, that's nobody's problem but the taxi drivers'. if they're willing to take that risk, LET THEM for fuck's sake.

and your usual taxi driver has a million on his bank account to pay for your quadruplegic ass. Sure. How much does Uber make with every passanger?

One reason the fares are so 'expensive'- and they really are not expensive at all - is the insurance AND the higher than usual safety demands on those taxi cabs.

But nice to see that you open your mouth and critize without thinking it through.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
and your usual taxi driver has a million on his bank account to pay for your quadruplegic ass. Sure.
Your usual taxi driver works for a *taxi company* and doesn't use Uber. Your argument does not apply.

energyman76b wrote:
How much does Uber make with every passanger?
Irrelevant. Apparently the taxi driver substitutes still find it profitable enough to offer their services, otherwise they wouldn't.

Also the insurance argument doesn't apply. It's understood that you don't get that kind of insurance if you use Uber. If you're uncomfortable with that, you DON'T USE Uber. That's a user choice. There's no reason for lawmakers to get involved in that, they should have fuck-all say in this kind of private arrangement.

energyman76b wrote:
One reason the fares are so 'expensive'- and they really are not expensive at all -
Hell yes they are. A 20 minute drive in the south will easily cost you EUR 30+. That's prohibitively expensive.

energyman76b wrote:
is the insurance AND the higher than usual safety demands on those taxi cabs.
It's working fine in other countries without that, apparently. Cheaper, too. A LOT cheaper.

energyman76b wrote:
But nice to see that you open your mouth and critize without thinking it through.
Sure I thought it through. That's just the thing. My conclusion leans towards "give people the choice to fuck it up for themselves." Of course typical Krautian Big Brother nanny-state arrogance prevents this kind of choice from ever occuring, so I can see why you'd be confused.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, here in 'murican redneckistan, they are even moving to make sure that the "taxis" have the same insurance coverage as do the established brick and mortar taxi services. Some things make sense, not all regulation is anti-competitive barrier to entry harassment. Maybe my kraut heritage is speaking ... only a quarter but the most recent infusion.

The large established taxi services here apparently make quite a bit of money from their charges to their drivers, access to dispatch and all. So these apps are disruptive but it is a competetive market sometimes. There were some guys trying to do something similar with charter aircraft services a while back but I lost track of what happened to them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: