View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: HiDPI Reply with quote

Does anyone here use linux with a >200dpi screen? After a week trying to make things look decent I've surrendered and scaled each pixel to 2x2 pixels with xrandr (patched to avoid bilinear filtering). It feels retarded to use a glorious 2560x1600 screen at 1280x800, but otherwise GTK+ apps look like shit.

Has anyone found (or made) a GTK+ 2 theme/engine for HiDPI? (Maybe with big paddings and larger widgets.) Or do we have to wait for all the programs to move to GTK+ 3? At the pace Firefox, Gimp and Inkscape are going that'll hapen in 10 years...
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try gnome-tweak tool to bump the text scaling factor up?
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a 22", 3840x2400 resolution screen for a few years now (an old T-221 that I had gotten used at a good price). Comes out to slightly over 200dpi.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can help with your problem. Found it interesting to read about it, even. Because one reason I went with this display, is it is a great antidote to the gradual embiggening of icons that's been going on, and also the ever-widening idiotic fixed-format webpage layout that "everyone" seems to be pushing.

Tho I wonder, what's keeping scalable icons from being more common? Fonts are already scalable. Treat an icon as a font, use the same rendering backend. Perhaps it needs to be adjusted for color instead of just B&W, but it'd be a start... When they do finally get there, I just hope the slider goes sufficiently in the small direction too :) Otherwise that 8K display will make a very bad dent in the budget...
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svg scalablle icons are getting common recently.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

Fonts are not the problem, they are taken care of with Xft.dpi in .Xresources. The problem is check and radio buttons, toolbar icons, paddings, menu separation, etc. Maybe some people (as Akkara says) prefers this cramped look, but I got used to the cleaner lower density.

Maybe I could write a theme that used appropriate separation and sizes (everything x2?), but I find it weird that none has done so before (at least I can't find anything with "gtk+ 2 theme hidpi") and assume it's not that easy. I'll try today and see what I can do. I hope the engine needn't be changed...
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
erm67 wrote:

Fonts are not the problem, they are taken care of with Xft.dpi in .Xresources. The problem is check and radio buttons, toolbar icons, paddings, menu separation, etc. Maybe some people (as Akkara says) prefers this cramped look, but I got used to the cleaner lower density.

Maybe I could write a theme that used appropriate separation and sizes (everything x2?), but I find it weird that none has done so before (at least I can't find anything with "gtk+ 2 theme hidpi") and assume it's not that easy. I'll try today and see what I can do. I hope the engine needn't be changed...

ideally those should be all svg and scale according to the text scale factor ..... gnome 3 icons do exactly that, but not everywhere yet unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: