laptop screen automatically dimming at 50% battery [OPEN]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: laptop screen automatically dimming at 50% battery [OPEN] Reply with quote

I'm having an issue that just recently started happening. My laptop screen dims down to a pretty low level when by battery percentage hits 50%. This is a problem since my battery only charges to a max of 58% these days, and once it dims, it is basically unreadable in natural night. I also am unable to increase brightness until I plug my machine back into ac power.

I thought this might have been an issue with laptop-mode-tools, since I recently started using it, but according to the configs brightness control is disabled.

Other culprits are hal, udev, and X, but after a bunch of investigating, I'm really not sure where the call is being made from. Any suggestions on what/where to check?

Last edited by mikegpitt on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
paulusbrand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use gnome?
Have you checked the screensaver settings?
kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

II you are using gnome and gnome-power-manager, there are a bunch more settings accessible using gconf-editor, under the /apps/gnome-power-manager key.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned... I'm using FVWM, so the window manager isn't at fault, although X could potentially be... I only say that since I have a lot of X related updates this weekend.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I can set the brightness with xbacklight, but the f8/f9 hotkeys on my laptop do not work once the battery go below 50%. They used to work... just not after I performed whatever unknown update is causing the issue.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What laptop is it, do you have any extras for your brand enabled in kernel.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
What laptop is it, do you have any extras for your brand enabled in kernel.
It's a generic Intel OEM bundle. I haven't upgraded my kernel in the machine for a while, and only recently started having the issue, so the problem is likely elsewhere.

Is udev capable of doing this? It was among my updates last weekend.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
I haven't upgraded my kernel in the machine for a while

Could be that, udev was working fine with SYSFS, then was crying with it, and finally udev wasn't working fine with it (most problems were missing symlink to /dev/sdX devices).

as you didn't update your kernel for some times, you might still have it enable.
(and you said udev was in your update list)

try udevadm monitor and wait for battery to goes to 50% and check the result (burning one or two candles might help if it's in your religion)

Good luck, looks like kind of issue i hate: hard to track down, but with a so simple solve that you wish to burn the computer
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
try udevadm monitor and wait for battery to goes to 50% and check the result (burning one or two candles might help if it's in your religion)
I took a look at udevadm monitor yesterday and I thought there was some udev battery events firing off when the machine hit 50%, but this must have been a coincidence, since I just checked again right now and when the screen dims there are no events that are listed. Perhaps udev isn't the culprit.

My kernel is 2.6.31, so it's not terribly out of date. I was waiting for 2.6.34 to come out since there was a regression in 32/33 that effected my machine. I haven't had a chance to update yet, but it's worth a shot... who knows.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like I said yesterday, upgrading my kernel was something on my list of things to do and was worth a shot in solving this issue, but it didn't help.

On a side note, I'm quite pleased with 2.6.34 so far... my desktop feels more snappy for some reason, even though I really didn't go in depth into tuning my config beyond a 'make oldconfig'.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: