emerge doesn't work for me anymore
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: emerge doesn't work for me anymore Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I hope to get some help about emerge which fails when I try emerge <some package>
The error I get:
Code:
 USAGE: ebuild <ebuild file> <command> [command]

ebuild: error: no such option: --color

This goes for each package i try to install.

It started that suddenly all /sbin and /usr/bin didn't work. Then I rebooted and got an error about /sbin/agetty which I managed to solve by booting from a disk on key and copied from there all /sbin and all /usr/bin/ into the hd. I managed to boot normally, but now I get this weird error.

Ideas are welcome.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it happened suddenly, it's probably due to a dying disk or someone breaking into your computer and messing with files.

Did you emerge something recently to trigger this?

Might want to try copying a newer version of the tools in /sbin, /usr/bin, etc., from a more recent install... or use tinderbox binaries?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol you're not in windows: if /sbin /usr/bin doesn't work, there's a reason, and no, rebooting isn't the solve

i dunno what could be the reason, my best bet would be checking the filesystem for corruption, you did that?

for your emerge problem, it's the same in fact:
the message you are getting is from "ebuild", ebuild is crying because he get the --color argument, the --color argument is valid for emerge, but not for ebuild
So you're running ebuild, and i suppose you were trying emerge -> mixed files = fsck your filesystem :)
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
If it happened suddenly, it's probably due to a dying disk or someone breaking into your computer and messing with files.

Did you emerge something recently to trigger this?

Might want to try copying a newer version of the tools in /sbin, /usr/bin, etc., from a more recent install... or use tinderbox binaries?

No one tries to break into the computer. it's offline. I tried to emerge some packages and it failed. I had to hard reset the pc cause I couldn't do anything. then I got the /sbin/agetty error during boot. So I booted from a disk on key and copied ALL /sbin and ALL /usr/bin into the hd (but the disk on key is a little bit older OS). This succeeded but now emerge fails.

Will tar xjvf portage-latest.tar.bz2 and stage3 can help?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to upgrade all your /sbin and /usr/bin, etc. binaries too. Probably should start with coreutils stuff, or grab stuff from the latest stage3 to start fixing the install... portage tends to require certain versions of coreutils, etc.

Having agetty bomb is not a good sign. What did you emerge, what emerged? Might want to check the emerge log and see what got upgraded to determine what now doesn't match up, versionwise...
titanofold
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to moderators: There's a double post here. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-837630.html

Is a corrupt path the problem here?
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS set in your /etc/make.conf

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
You'll need to upgrade all your /sbin and /usr/bin, etc. binaries too. Probably should start with coreutils stuff, or grab stuff from the latest stage3 to start fixing the install... portage tends to require certain versions of coreutils, etc.

Having agetty bomb is not a good sign. What did you emerge, what emerged? Might want to check the emerge log and see what got upgraded to determine what now doesn't match up, versionwise...

I managed to solve the problem now. (there was another error which I hope is not significant. will talk about it later).

Before all the stuff happened, I successfully emerged xf86-video-vesa, xf86-video-vmware, xf86-video-virtualbox.

The troubles started when I tried to emerge xf86-video-fbdev, it said it doesn't know about emerge. That's when I realized that /sbin and /usr/bin was broken. Even shutdown or poweroff wasn't recognized. So I had to hard reset the laptop.

booting again (but this time I didn't do fsck because I forgot) got me to the error of agetty. I solved it by copy of agetty from a disk on key and copied all /sbin /usr/bin.

Emerge failed with the error of --no-color.

Then I booted again from disk on key, extracted portage-latest and stage3 and ran fsck. fsck corrected 1 big file. portage-latest was extracted fine. stage3 extracted up to some point (all /usr) and failed. Don't know why. It reached to /opt and failed. Exiting from previous errors. It failed both times at /opt. /opt exists from previous installation. So I don't know if it's significant.

Now after extracting portage-latest and partial extract of stage3 and chroot, emerge and some of the commands that I checked work.

I checked also commands from /sbin like ifconfig iwconfig and it works.

coreutils is latest version

So, what do you say about extract of stage that failed?I am not sure it's significant.

PS. booting again from the hard disk it fails ;-(

This time it fails with
Code:

cannot execute /sbin/rc
entering runlevel 3
cannot execute /sbin/rc
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, triple-check your disk for any signs of failure. And make a backup of your important data if you don't have one yet.
Then, if you're absolutely certain that your disk isn't dying, do an `emerge -e world`, because right now your system is in a miserable state.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check your dmesg and see if your disk is having issues... perhaps disk failure?
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanofold wrote:
Note to moderators: There's a double post here. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-837630.html

Merged krinn's post from that topic here. For future reference it's best to let us know about issues like this in Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc. as it'll get dealt with quicker.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
First, triple-check your disk for any signs of failure. And make a backup of your important data if you don't have one yet.
Then, if you're absolutely certain that your disk isn't dying, do an `emerge -e world`, because right now your system is in a miserable state.

I checked it few times. After the /sbin/ error which I managed to solve I get consistently an error (after few more fsck.ext2) that it doesn't recognize root partition. Give root password or ctrl d for maintenence which I can't resolve.

I have a backup of the ntfs partition (where all the important stuff is). It looks like I will run mkfs.ext2 on the damaged part and start all over again.

It's weird, because if i boot from livecd, I can access that partition and run emerge from the chroot environment. I will backup other important stuff like kernel configuration which I worked hard.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
(after few more fsck.ext2)

and your partition is ext2 ?
you better run fsck and let him decide what fsck.* should be use, except if you are sure your partition is ext2 (for /boot not a surprise, for / i would say kinda unusual, even it was the case earlier)
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
queen wrote:
(after few more fsck.ext2)

and your partition is ext2 ?
you better run fsck and let him decide what fsck.* should be use, except if you are sure your partition is ext2 (for /boot not a surprise, for / i would say kinda unusual, even it was the case earlier)

It is for sure ext2 both /boot and /.

I chose ext2 for /. it's an external hd that everything will be put on an asus eee 901 with SSD once it's ready.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: