[SOLVED] Problems with esound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortin_alexandre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problems with esound Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I put the message at the right place.

I have a setup with two computers, one running MacOSX and the other one running a recently installed Gentoo. Basically I want to play iTunes music on my Mac and send the audio output to my Gentoo box using esound. This is based on this web page:
http://blog.haynberg.de/?p=14

Everything worked well yesterday for a few hours.

Now I'm testing the setup again and it doesn't work anymore. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with esound on the Gentoo side. Problem is that I don't know how to debug this: esd doesn't seem to have a kind of "verbose" mode or any mean of logging it's state or indicating if it's working. How does one debug such a problem?

I know that my sound card works and that sound volume is correct. Or at least I assume so since I hear clearly and loudly the output of "speaker-test -t wave".

I suspect esound because when I start esd with the command "esd -beeps -tcp -public", I hear nothing at all.

Between yesterday and today I made some modifications on my Gentoo box to enable 3D acceleration on my graphic card and I had to recompile the kernel. I don't think I touched stuff relevant to sound, but it's still possible that there is now a missing module.

It may also be relevant to say that I'm making the tests with "xdm" removed from the default runlevel to avoid potential X-session-related problems.

I have no error message to give you, since I don't know where to look at! But if you could point me in the right direction, I would gladly do!

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited by fortin_alexandre on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
fortin_alexandre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Hi,

I rebuilt the kernel a few times using old config files that I kept in backup and it started working again. The strange thing is that the more recent kernel config file also works now. I guess that I forgot to make a clean at some point and it messed things up. So I cleaned and rebuilt the kernel and now it works.

Alexandre
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it to work. I had no idea what the problem was.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: