setting up an adhoc-hub drives me crazy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: setting up an adhoc-hub drives me crazy Reply with quote

I try to set up an adhoc-hub/ap. I use a rtl8187-usb-stick, but due to the inability of the rtl8187-driver to run in adhoc-mode, I use ndiswrapper (or has someone rtl8187 working in adhoc out there?)
Anyway, If I set it up the manual way it works like a charm, like this

rmmod rtl8187
modprobe ndiswrapper
sleep 3
iwconfig wlan1 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan1 essid -- ANY
iwconfig wlan1 key dc:c4:36:8e:ed open
iwconfig wlan1 rate 11M chan 4
ifconfig wlan1 192.168.0.5/25

other nodes can connect now and communicate, iwconfig wlan1 shows:
IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"ANY"
Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.427 GHz Cell: 02:E0:7F:A3:B0:F7
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:DCC4-368E-ED Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality:62/100 Signal level:-56 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I setup /etc/conf.d/net the following way:

modules_wlan1=( "iwconfig" )
config_wlan1=("192.168.0.5/25")
mode_wlan1="ad-hoc"
essid_wlan1="ANY"
adhoc_essid_wlan1="ANY"
#scan_mode_wlan1="ad-hoc"
channel_wlan1="4"
#wpa_supplicant_wlan1="-Dndiswrapper -d -iwlan1"

If I start the box, and I have net.wlan1 in default start level, strange things happen. iwconfig shows the right key and mode, but the wrong ssid (Its the one of an other nearby AP), not the configured "ANY", but it comes even more strange.
If I restart net.wlan1, log and iwconfig shows nearly everything like expected, with the exception of the channel#. The channel-parameter seems to be ignored, everything else is okay even the SSID. Clients can connect/associate now, but not communicate, i cannot ping, dhcp for them is also not working, the hubs IPs and routes are set up as expected, the iwconfig-output is exactly the same as if I do it the manual way.
If I then do this:
iwconfig wlan1 key dc:c4:36:8e:ed open
everything works fine, but I swear, the same key was set before, if not, the clients couldn't associate, this command seems to trigger something, I cannot see.
btw. wpa_supplicant is even worse.

Any idea!
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwconfig configures the wireless layer, ifconfig configures tcp/ip. first the wireless stuff has to be set up, then, on top of that, you assign ip-adresses etc. iwconfig can NOT assign any tcp/ip-parameters.
ANY is a special keyword for iwconfig - meaning just "take ANY" ap out there, and in ad-hoc mode it does just this, hooks up with any ad-hoc-node out there. if this other node is on channel 11 your card can not be on the same channel with a different ssid (i think). also, not all iwconfig-commands work on all cards.
personally i find setting up wireless connections with conf.d/net a little tiresome and do it in extra-scripts, but it certainly works easily. you probably have to adapt your config a little more.
GOOD LUCK!
rer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought lowercase "any" is the special word, or is this caseinsensitive? And why does it work, when I execute the script?
I also put the script in the udev-rule for the device, as a RUN-rule, but this also doesnt work reliable espacially when I resume from hibernate, although the rule seems to be executed, because the device-renaming from wlan0 to wlan1 included in that rule is also done. Is it possible, that the device needs some time to settle and the udev-rule or net.wlan1-initscript is executed to early?
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought lowercase "any" is the special word, or is this caseinsensitive?
i don't know, but generally it is a good idea to avoid using keywords like that at all (like naming your box l0calhost).
Quote:
why does it work, when I execute the script?
because all thje commands are executed in the right order, using other scripts and (sub)systems like udev can mess this up.
Quote:
also put the script in the udev-rule for the device, as a RUN-rule, but this also doesnt work reliable
while it is possible to do all this with udev it will require very thorough testing, especially if you have the same stuff in your /etc/conf.d/net-file. it is probably the best to write your own rule which must then be executed in its correct place in the sequence (i guess the correct place is NOT the device-renaming-rule).

and yes, some devices are special - i once had a wlan-nic which could not be configured at all before issuing a
Code:
ifconfig <devname> up
and waiting a couple of secs till the light went on.

if you want to give your wlan-nic an ip you probably also need the module "ifconfig" or "ifcfg" in /etc/conf.d/net
GOOD LUCK!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: