Best way to encrypt your system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Best way to encrypt your system? Reply with quote

I am looking to encrypt the gentoo part of my dual boot systems, which is the best way to do this? Truecrypt, which is already used to protect the windows partition and comes up on boot, or should i use this - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Root_filesystem_over_LVM2,_DM-Crypt_and_RAID ?

I dont mind having to reinstall gentoo, might do that anyway as im bored, or would people just suggest encrypting the /home dir like Ubuntu does instead of doing full system encryption?
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM-Crypt works well for this. It is up to you whether to encrypt system directories, and depends in large part on your threat model. If you assume that you will be aware of when an attacker gains access to the system, then encrypting the system directories is optional, but you should not trust their contents after you regain ownership of the system. This threat model applies for laptops that might be stolen, but are otherwise safe. If you are worried about the evil maid, encrypting all the volumes and keeping the key material on a token that remains in your possession may be a better choice.
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just concerned in case any of my systems ever get stolen
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, it is probably adequate to encrypt only the filesystems which will hold private content. This may require encrypting / or relocating /root if you plan to store anything sensitive there.
tuber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also loop-aes.
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
In that case, it is probably adequate to encrypt only the filesystems which will hold private content. This may require encrypting / or relocating /root if you plan to store anything sensitive there.

If i encrypt / - isnt that the same as full drive encryption?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loop-aes is a poor choice. If I recall correctly, it is said to interact poorly with journals when used with file backed loop device. Additionally, its cipher choices are less flexible than DM-Crypt.

No, encrypting / is not the same as full drive encryption. There are also swap, /home, /usr, and /var to consider.

[Edit: added italicized portion in response to correction from tuber. I had not researched the details, and knew only that it was said to be unsafe in some cases.]

Last edited by Hu on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have decided to use truecrypt and encrypt /home only - tried a few other ways earlier and it all went mad :( how big should i make /var and /log? first to be done will be laptop and after i give 80GB to windows i will have 150GB to spare, norm a do

boot - 100M
swap - 4GB
/ - 15G
home - rest

when i used FreeBSD i used 4GB for var and log, think 4GB might be overkill for /log
tuber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
loop-aes is a poor choice. If I recall correctly, it is said to interact poorly with journals. Additionally, its cipher choices are less flexible than DM-Crypt.

Do you mean there is a performance problem or a data integrity problem? The latter is true for a file-backed loop device, but not true for device-backed loop device.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuber wrote:
Hu wrote:
loop-aes is a poor choice. If I recall correctly, it is said to interact poorly with journals. Additionally, its cipher choices are less flexible than DM-Crypt.
Do you mean there is a performance problem or a data integrity problem? The latter is true for a file-backed loop device, but not true for device-backed loop device.
I had heard of data integrity problems. I was repeating imprecise information from elsewhere, and have now amended my post with the clarification you supplied. Thanks.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using dm-crypt (luks) is probably the method of choice nowadays. You can encrypt a whole system except for /boot. A luks capable initramfs can be created easily with genkernel (leave out modules and it works with non-genkernel kernels too).

If you only encrypt /home, be aware that password hashes and other interesting data may be stored in /etc/shadow, /var/* and so on.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuber wrote:

Well, it is also true for a device-backed loop device. For example, AFAIK write errors are not necessarily correctly reported through. Moreover, there is the problem that barriers are not available. However, the latter holds also for dm-crypt, i.e. journaling will be somewhat less secure (in the sense of data integrity) with encryption than without encryption, no matter which method you choose.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: