Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo LiveCD for Macbook Pro 13'' (Macbook Pro 7,1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifebrand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo LiveCD for Macbook Pro 13'' (Macbook Pro 7,1) Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!

First post... yaay!

Before I start, I am not sure where to best put this post (sorry!!!), so if a mod reads this they should probably move it to the correct forum location :wink:

There is a bug present in the kernel for the MCP89 chipset present on the newest release of the 13 inch MBP, and possibly on other versions, but I am not sure about that. The kernel bug is listed here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15923

None of the major distros have built a live CD with a revision of the kernel that has the bugfix mentioned above mainlined. So, for anyone that is looking to install Gentoo (with amd64 support only) I have built a bootable live CD specifically supporting the Macbook Pro 13'' hardware that bypasses the aforementioned bug.

You can download the ISO from:

http://arkateck.com/livecd.iso

I have also integrated parted to allow for easy (and safe!) manipulation of filesystems already on the Mac hard drive. No major issues aside from a strange problem wherein the network interface doesn't always properly DHCP during the init stage, if that happens just run a manual dhcpcd on the interface when you land at a prompt and you'll be all set. There is no wireless support built in.

I am very open to suggestions or comments on how to possibly improve this build, but I would expect that it is only going to be useful for a little while anyway, once a newer kernel is integrated into the live CD.

I hope someone can find use for this!
MikeTheGreat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this. I've been having the same problem with the new Apple Mac Mini 4,1 which uses the same chipset.

I'll give this a try.

Would you happen to know which kernel version the bugfix was added in? I couldn't spot that information in the kernel bug report
MikeTheGreat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I tried this, but it wouldn't accept any keyboard input when the livecd reached grub so I was unable to continue. Thanks for the effort though, it is much appreciated.
Lifebrand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange... Do you have access to a USB keyboard? There is USB support compiled into the kernel so that should be a bandaid fix for that. Once you get to a prompt, if you run an lspci and an lsmod and post the output I can look into seeing why its not working.
MikeTheGreat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keyboard I'm using already is USB. A pretty standard one, nothing funky about it.

The problem could be a crash because I don't even get a grub countdown. I had a look at the contents of the *.iso and noted that grub is set with a 30 second timeout. I dont get any timeout, and the keyboard is unresponsive. Not even the numlock light works.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try the latest SystemRescueCD and tell us if it's working ?
MikeTheGreat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've tried with the latest beta of System Rescue CD downloaded from here: http://www.sysresccd.org/Beta-x86

It was able to get past grub, but failed again when attempting to load the kernel.

I see the following before it looks like it attempts to load a bunch of modules and then the screen goes to sleep. The keyboard still appears to be active when this happens as I can still toggle the numlock light. This occurs both with the default options and the option to boot to a 800x600 console only session.

Code:
ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=16)
ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=16)
ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata2: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps

Last edited by MikeTheGreat on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeTheGreat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying with a few more options I find that I can get the System Rescue CD to boot if I select the option to load the VESA graphical environment. It still fails to find any disks, but does load some modules and then drop me to a busybox console.

The grub options are:
Code:
> .linux rescuecd scandelay=1 nomodeset vga=971 dostartx forcevesa initrd=initram.igz
Lifebrand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The live CD image I created should default to the vesa fb module so I don't see a major difference there. Those errors you are seeing on System Rescue CD are as a result of the bug that would be present in that version of the kernel. I don't believe the patch to the kernel was mainlined before 2.6.34+. I will poke around a bit tonight and see if I can find anything that might be helpful in correcting this as the CD image I posted _should_ work, assuming it is using the same chipset, however I haven't looked into that and there may be differences in hardware that are still causing problems...
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo LiveCD for Macbook Pro 13'' (Macbook Pro 7,1) Reply with quote

Lifebrand wrote:
Before I start, I am not sure where to best put this post (sorry!!!), so if a mod reads this they should probably move it to the correct forum location :wink:

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Unsupported Software.
franticfantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't install grub with this liveCD. Configure gives an error about not being able to execute C compiled applications. I get the feeling you forgot to enable something in the kernel configuration. Could you post a new livecd iso with the IA32 Emulation for a.out enabled?
Thanks,
Danny
yabba235
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !
This link is detah : "http://arkateck.com/livecd.iso "
Please for working it or copy this image.
Gentoo livecd still don't work on mac mini aluminium :(
Thank's
Tom
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,

Is there a livecd available besides the one that can't be download in the earlier post because of the dead link?

Thanks,
Tony
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the latest Ubuntu, if you cannot boot with that one, maybe you hardware is falling.

Do you have any other OS on that box right now ?
yabba235
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !
Ubuntu whit kernel patch for macbook pro 7,1 work's but I looking for working gentoo livecd or sabayon whit this same patching kernel.
Link on first post don't work maybe some has this copy ?
Reg.
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my new Macbook Pro today. It is a 17" one with an I7 2.66 ghz and 8 gb ram.
I just looked at it and it is a MacBook Pro 6.1 not 7.1 It says it is an Intel 5 Series chipset. I
was able to boot SysrescueCD 1.6.0 x86 beta and it saw my 500gb drive drive and superdrive.

I am going to blast OS X and try an install tonight

Thanks,
Tony
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: