USB Keyboard Kernel Flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l34785
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: USB Keyboard Kernel Flags Reply with quote

Hello, I just started to install Gentoo. I just made my kernel but my USB keyboard and mouse aren't working, It's a keyboard and mouse combo - Microsoft - Wireless Desktop 3000. What puzzles me is that it works until I make my kernel, then it stops. Which leads me to believe I need a flag. So my question is, what kernel flag do I need to add for a USB Keyboard/Mouse?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: USB Keyboard Kernel Flags Reply with quote

l34785 wrote:
Hello, I just started to install Gentoo. I just made my kernel but my USB keyboard and mouse aren't working, It's a keyboard and mouse combo - Microsoft - Wireless Desktop 3000. What puzzles me is that it works until I make my kernel, then it stops. Which leads me to believe I need a flag. So my question is, what kernel flag do I need to add for a USB Keyboard/Mouse?

do you mean they stop working while you're on the install cd, or that they stop working when you reboot into your new kernel?

I ran into this on an Asus board last week. For me, the fix was: UHCI was enabled in the kernel, and not OHCI. I disable UHCI, and enabled OHCI, rebuilt the kernel, reinstalled to boot, rebooted, and yippie, it works!

You may also need to look into USB HID devices and make sure these are enabled.
l34785
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it stops working while I'm still using the install CD. Specifically, once I become root of at livecd. Basically right after I pick the kernel I want to boot. Let me check on those flags, thanks.
Update: I was previously booting with the flag acpi=off because my system was hanging. Now my system wants to work with acpi and my keyboard works as well. I guess it was an airhead moment on my part :oops: .
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my next suggestion was to try using SystemRescueCD (which is built on gentoo, so you can follow the handbook verbatim)
it's gotten many users around that exact issue during the install

still highly recommended, gives you a nice GUI while you do your install - if you arent doing your install over SSH that is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: