[?]"multi-arch" system possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: [?]"multi-arch" system possible? Reply with quote

Hi, i have to build a gentoo system in a HD that has to be used in an amd and a x86 computer for a school project(in my school there are dual cores, or core 2 not sure, and at my home i have a Phenom II).
This must been done like this, because it's a school project that sometimes will be developed at school and sometimes at home.

My question is, if its possible to build a system that is compatible with both processors at the time of emerging. I don't need any optimizations, so i was wondering if leaving the cflags as "i686" or something else would leave the system ready to work in both procesors.

And what stage is recomended, amd64 or x86.

Thanks a lot, and sorry if my way to speak english is not the best.
jerann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd use i686 and do a 32-bit build. It sounds like your school computer is probably 64-bit capable (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, and I think some Pentium D/Pentium 4 varieties were), but really you don't get much of an advantage with 64-bit most of the time anyway. If you think you'll use this hard drive in something with more than 4 GB of RAM, then 64-bit would be a must, but most of the time 4 GB is sufficient. If you decide to go with 32-bit, i686 should be perfect as long as you know you won't be running that install on anything older than a Pentium II (that is, anything before around 1997).

The kicker is that if you get a 32-bit install going and you later want to upgrade to 64-bit, you'll have to reinstall from scratch. So, if you want to go with a 64-bit build, you'll first want to make sure that your school computer supports 64-bit instructions. You can do that by looking up the processor specs on whatever OS you're on (you'd go to System Properties in Windows, or just type cat /proc/cpuinfo at a console in any version of Linux), and check it at Wikipedia or something like that. Then, during the install process you'll eventually get to the point of setting up /etc/make.conf. I'd be willing to bet that Phenom II will probably run anything compiled for an Intel 64-bit processor of the generation we're talking about; that is, if you used -march=nocona, it would probably work. A brief glance at Google and the gcc documentation didn't say that explicitly though, so if you really don't care, you could either:

1. Don't use -march at all in your CFLAGS; instead, just put CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
2. Don't use -march, but throw in a few instruction sets you know will be there: CFLAGS="-mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -O2 -pipe"

I'm going to disclaimer all of that by saying I haven't ever tried to do this myself, but I'm reasonably certain that a Phenom II and an Intel x86_64-style processor are close enough that gcc should be able to compile optimized 64-bit code that will run on both. The most important thing is to decide before you get started if you're going to do 32- or 64-bit, because that will affect which install media you use, and which handbook you use.
wsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school there are E2200 or similar. They support 64 bits.
I won't be using more than 4gb, so i got a i686 finally.

I'm having some sort of problems with the amd64 build that i have at home like java not working and flash working weird, i have just 2gigs of ram, it's a good option to build an i686 with the optimizations of my Phenom II?

PD: I edited the post :P

Last edited by wsh on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jerann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32-bit might be easier... I don't develop in Java, but I the last time I tried (a year or more ago), I had trouble getting Java to work in 64-bit Linux. And actually, I don't use Opera either; lol. Otherwise, I haven't had any trouble at all on 64-bit. But since it doesn't look like you'll get any appreciable benefit from 64-bit, I'd redownload and do 32-bit, just to be easy.
wsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerann wrote:
32-bit might be easier... I don't develop in Java, but I the last time I tried (a year or more ago), I had trouble getting Java to work in 64-bit Linux. And actually, I don't use Opera either; lol. Otherwise, I haven't had any trouble at all on 64-bit. But since it doesn't look like you'll get any appreciable benefit from 64-bit, I'd redownload and do 32-bit, just to be easy.

Yeah well, i'll try to get java working, because this is the first install of gentoo in which everithing worked at the first try and i'm happy for it :P. (Except for java).
wsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, i got to the part when i set up X.

I got it working at home where i have an ATI vga.
But at school all the vgas are nvidia.

Is there any way that i could use X in both systems?
Maybe using 2 different xorg.conf?

I installed nvidia-drivers, but i don-t think that X would load the nvidia module automatically.

Any ideas?
Flarkis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does your xorg.conf look like? and are you running x86 or ~x86?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: