xfce4-mixer compile error after upgrade to Xfce 4.14
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transpetaflops
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: xfce4-mixer compile error after upgrade to Xfce 4.14 Reply with quote

I still keep an old xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer-4.11.0 around in a local repository simply because I haven't found an equal replacement yet. I'm fully aware that neither it nor it's old gst-plugin dependencies are supported anymore but I've been able to compile it until now.

I'm not a C-programmer but I have a rudimentary understanding of compiling/linking/include directories. I can create a local patch and apply it when needed.

After the latest upgrade to Xfce 4.14, xfce4-mixer can no longer find dbus/dbus-glib.h. Build log is here: http://dpaste.com/14N530J

dev-libs/dbus-glib is installed and the header file is in its proper location /usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-glib.h

When xfce-mixer is attempting to compile panel-plugin, starting at line 272, I notice the include statement to the folder with the header file is missing. But in the section above, where it compiles libxfce4mixer on line 253, the statement is included -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0

My knowledge on what can cause this, or whether it's the problem at all, is very limited. I tried patching the Makefile.am in the panel-plugin directory to add the include path but couldn't make it show up. Any help to figure out how to solve this would be greatly appreciated and a learning experience for me.
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/628424

There is a patch in this bug report that might solve your problem. I haven't tried it.
transpetaflops
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I never thought of checking the bugs forum since the software is unsupported. I did almost solve it with my own patch. I only updated the Makefile.am and not the Makefile.in. With the attached patch from 2017 it works again.

What puzzles me is that I last compiled this program only 3 months ago with no patch and no problems. So what did change? :)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you updated the package that owns the header file, and the header file was moved by that update.
transpetaflops
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev-libs/dbus-glib was last compiled on August 21st and xfce4-mixer was compiled successfully the day after, according to my logs. Nothing has touched dbus-glib since then but after the sync today xfce4-mixer failed. But as I noticed, the include directory statement was missing for the c-file that failed and the patch added it back again. I wonder if that patch were hiding somewhere in Portage and got removed with today's sync... well, it works now at least and I have to learn the difference between Makefile.am and Makefile.in .)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makefile.am is output by a developer and is the input to automake. Makefile.in is the output of automake, and the input to autoconf. Makefile is the output of autoconf, and the input to make. make is the step that applies recipes in Makefile to create object files from source files. In my opinion, if the build system were working properly, it should have regenerated Makefile.in when Makefile.am became newer than Makefile.in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: