phenom/ondemand crash?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: phenom/ondemand crash? Reply with quote

I recently configured cpu freq control on my quad-core phenom 9500. At first glance it seemed to work ok, but every few days it just "stops", no panic, nothing in the log, needs a reset to restart it. It appears to be due to the ondemand governor, as when I use performance, I observe no crashes. Granted, this isn't definitive, as I've only be playing with it for a couple weeks, and it sometimes runs several days before crashing.

I've googled and searched around in here, but not seen anything that looks quite like this. Does this issue ring any bells with anyone? Hints on things to try?

Thanks in advance...
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ondemand governor causes frequent power state changes which some aging/cheap PSUs may not handle well. Try with conservative governor, which changes less often.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm currently running conservative, for about 36 hours, and no crashes yet.

The machine's not that old, it was built about 18 months ago, dmidecode reveals that the bios (ami) was release july 2008, so it's not too antiquated. The motherboard is an ASUS M3A, I don't know enough to tell whether it's likely to have a suspect PSU.

Any other ideas on how to nail it down?

Thanks again...
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symptoms of a PSU going bad are often system instability under load or when power consumption changes (eg. plugging in a bus-powered usb device). It is sometimes hard to distinguish from other hardware problems. You could try replacing the PSU.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Well, I haven't noticed any other symptoms like that to date. I've run it maxed out cpu and disk wise for hours on end, and I've been using the machine for all sorts of stuff, including plugging/removing usb things which draw power, etc, etc. The only time it started exhibiting kind of instability was when I started fiddling with cpu governor.

But one never knows, it's easy enough to pop in a new supply. I'll dig one up and try it. Thanks...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: