Oh no - I removed ncurses and now I can't install anything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Oh no - I removed ncurses and now I can't install anything Reply with quote

I want to update my system, but I was getting an ncurses conflict. So, I removed the old version to attempt to install the new version, but now nothing will install. In fact, I can't even remote login anymore:

Code:
-bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Connection to 192.168.101.203 closed.

note: I typed the follow out since I could not access the command line remotely to copy.

Code:
# emerge ncurses
sh: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'
 * Use eselect news to read news items

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
sh: error while loading shared libraries: libcurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/ncurses-5.7.-r3
bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 * ncurses-5.7.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...     [OK]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...     [OK]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...     [OK]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-)...     [OK]
[sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r3] bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

>>> Failed to emerge sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r3
[sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r3] bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

excrementa occurrunt, sin occurrunt, nil desperandum.

Take a look at this thread, which should help you.
The idea is to download a stage3 tarball, unpack it somewhere and copy the files needed to your system.

Edit:

Forgot the actual link:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-688061.html
Sorry.

A better solution still you can see in the post below.
Now it's time for the harvest

Last edited by Clad in Sky on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, get a compiled ncurses only from the Gentoo Tinderbox (here it is) and extract it into the root directory. Afterwards, force an emerge of ncurses (be sure to include the --oneshot option) to make your system state consistent.

- John
jmanko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, John. That worked, and forced emerge in process. :)
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joy's of shared libraries.

:D
jcTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadlorde wrote:

+1

I'm not a developper, but I think 10 years ago it was a great idea because of disk capacities; but today I think this should not be a requirement.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive them, Lord, for they knoweth not what they sayeth.

- John
jcTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Forgive them, Lord, for they knoweth not what they sayeth.

- John

:lol:
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Better yet, get a compiled ncurses only from the Gentoo Tinderbox (here it is) and extract it into the root directory. Afterwards, force an emerge of ncurses (be sure to include the --oneshot option) to make your system state consistent.

- John

Hi.

I did the same thing* and I downloaded the 64bit-Version of ncurses, but all I get is:
Code:

host / # emerge -1v ncurses

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6  USE="cxx gpm unicode -ada -debug -doc -minimal -profile -static-libs -trace" 0 kB                                                                                                 

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6
 * ncurses-5.7.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                                  [ ok ]
 * Package:    sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: base-system@gentoo.org
 * USE:        amd64 cxx elibc_glibc gpm kernel_linux multilib unicode userland_GNU
 * FEATURES:   sandbox
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking ncurses-5.7.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work
 * Applying ncurses-5.6-gfbsd.patch ...                                                                [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-emacs.patch ...                                                                [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-nongnu.patch ...                                                               [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-tic-cross-detection.patch ...                                                  [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-rxvt-unicode-9.09.patch ...                                                    [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-hashdb-open.patch ...                                                          [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7 ...
 * econf: updating ncurses-5.7/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating ncurses-5.7/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7/configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-terminfo-dirs=/etc/terminfo:/usr/share/terminfo --with-shared --without-normal --without-hashed-db --without-ada --with-cxx --with-cxx-binding --without-debug --without-profile --with-gpm --disable-termcap --enable-symlinks --with-rcs-ids --with-manpage-format=normal --enable-const --enable-colorfgbg --enable-echo --enable-warnings --without-assertions --disable-leaks --without-expanded --with-macros --without-trace --with-chtype=long --with-mmask-t=long --disable-ext-colors --disable-ext-mouse --without-pthread --without-reentrant
configure: loading site script /usr/share/config.site
configure: loading site script /usr/share/crossdev/include/site/linux
checking for egrep... grep -E
Configuring NCURSES 5.7 ABI 5 (Mon Feb  7 21:28:54 CET 2011)
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Configuring for linux-gnu
checking for prefix... /usr
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/narrowc/config.log
 * ERROR: sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6 failed (compile phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 2704:  Called do_compile 'narrowc'
 *   environment, line  730:  Called econf '--with-terminfo-dirs=/etc/terminfo:/usr/share/terminfo' '--with-shared' '--without-normal' '--without-hashed-db' '--without-ada' '--with-cxx' '--with-cxx-binding' '--without-debug' '--without-profile' '--with-gpm' '--disable-termcap' '--enable-symlinks' '--with-rcs-ids' '--with-manpage-format=normal' '--enable-const' '--enable-colorfgbg' '--enable-echo' '--enable-warnings' '--without-assertions' '--disable-leaks' '--without-expanded' '--with-macros' '--without-trace' '--with-chtype=long' '--with-mmask-t=long' '--disable-ext-colors' '--disable-ext-mouse' '--without-pthread' '--without-reentrant'
 *     ebuild.sh, line  557:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/build.log'
host / #

Part of the log:

Code:

gcc version 4.5.2 (Gentoo 4.5.2 p1.0, pie-0.4.5)
configure:1699: $? = 0
configure:1701: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -V </dev/null >&5
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1704: $? = 1
configure:1724: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1727: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -mabm -msse4a -march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed conftest.c  >&5
/usr/lib/../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/lib/../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:1730: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 1708 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int
main ()
{

;
  return 0;
}
configure:1753: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Running ldconfig doesn't help,
fix_libtool_files.sh gives
* Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths...
* Could not get gcc's CHOST!
gcc-config -l gives
* gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2 *

Any help? Please?

*package conflict, emerge -C ncurses: I thought all ncurses did was give me menus (e.g. make menuconfig).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luda,

Did you use
Code:
tar xpf <tarball> -C /

The important option there is the p to preserve permissions. Without that, ncurses will be extracted but none of the files will be +x, so the system will not execute them.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, no, I didn't.

Now I did:
Code:
host / # tar xpf ncurses-5.7-r3.tbz2

bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored

but it didn't solve the problem

btw: I first tried the ncurses.....tbz2 linked above, which is a 32bit-version, then I did
host / # rm `tar tf ncurses-5.7-r3.tbz2.1` (32bit)
host / # tar xpf ncurses-5.7-r3.tbz2 (64bit)
to fix that.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luda,

Is th file ncurses-5.7-r3.tbz2 in your / directory ?

Is your error *identical* to that in your earlier post ?

Are you able to run
Code:
emerge --info
if so, the output might be very useful.

What about
Code:
gcc-config -l

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for trying to help me.
To aviod unnecessary misunderstandings, here is what happened:
I tried to update my system and got some file-collisions.
I figured removing ncurses woudn't hurt, so i removed the ncurses-package.
Then I couldn't emerge anything and tried the fix mentioned above.

Now, if I try to install ncurses, I get:
Code:
emerge ncurses -1

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6
 * ncurses-5.7.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Package:    sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: base-system@gentoo.org
 * USE:        amd64 cxx elibc_glibc gpm kernel_linux multilib unicode userland_GNU
 * FEATURES:   sandbox
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking ncurses-5.7.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work
 * Applying ncurses-5.6-gfbsd.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-emacs.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-nongnu.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-tic-cross-detection.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-rxvt-unicode-9.09.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * Applying ncurses-5.7-hashdb-open.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                              [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7 ...
 * econf: updating ncurses-5.7/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating ncurses-5.7/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7/configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-terminfo-dirs=/etc/terminfo:/usr/share/terminfo --with-shared --without-normal --without-hashed-db --without-ada --with-cxx --with-cxx-binding --without-debug --without-profile --with-gpm --disable-termcap --enable-symlinks --with-rcs-ids --with-manpage-format=normal --enable-const --enable-colorfgbg --enable-echo --enable-warnings --without-assertions --disable-leaks --without-expanded --with-macros --without-trace --with-chtype=long --with-mmask-t=long --disable-ext-colors --disable-ext-mouse --without-pthread --without-reentrant
configure: loading site script /usr/share/config.site
configure: loading site script /usr/share/crossdev/include/site/linux
checking for egrep... grep -E
Configuring NCURSES 5.7 ABI 5 (Mon Feb  7 22:43:24 CET 2011)
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Configuring for linux-gnu
checking for prefix... /usr
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/narrowc/config.log
 * ERROR: sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6 failed (compile phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 2704:  Called do_compile 'narrowc'
 *   environment, line  730:  Called econf '--with-terminfo-dirs=/etc/terminfo:/usr/share/terminfo' '--with-shared' '--without-normal' '--without-hashed-db' '--without-ada' '--with-cxx' '--with-cxx-binding' '--without-debug' '--without-profile' '--with-gpm' '--disable-termcap' '--enable-symlinks' '--with-rcs-ids' '--with-manpage-format=normal' '--enable-const' '--enable-colorfgbg' '--enable-echo' '--enable-warnings' '--without-assertions' '--disable-leaks' '--without-expanded' '--with-macros' '--without-trace' '--with-chtype=long' '--with-mmask-t=long' '--disable-ext-colors' '--disable-ext-mouse' '--without-pthread' '--without-reentrant'
 *     ebuild.sh, line  557:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/work/ncurses-5.7'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r6/temp/build.log'

The information you asked for:
Yes, I copied the file to / so I wouldn't fuck up the paths.

Code:
emerge --info
Portage 2.1.9.37 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.5.2, glibc-2.13-r0, 2.6.37-gentoo x86_64)                                                                                                                               
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.37-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Phenom-tm-_II_X3_720_Processor-with-gentoo-2.0.1
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 18:15:01 +0000
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
app-shells/bash:     4.1_p9
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python:     2.7.1, 3.1.3
dev-util/cmake:      2.8.3-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.1-r1
sys-apps/openrc:     0.7.0
sys-apps/sandbox:    2.4
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake:  1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.21
sys-devel/gcc:       4.5.2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool:   2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:      3.82
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.36.1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA @FSF-APPROVED dlj-1.1 PUEL Q3AEULA RTCW-ETEULA ut2003 cadsoft AdobeFlash-10 AdobeFlash-10.1 googleearth"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mabm -msse4a -march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-mabm -msse4a -march=amdfam10 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs collision-protect distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages metadata-transfer news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="local http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://ftp.wh2.tu-dresden.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/ http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/ ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/ "
LANG="en_GB"
LC_ALL=""
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en en_GB de"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="32bit 3dnow 3dnowext 64bit 7zip S3TC X a52 aac aalib acl acpi alsa amd64 amr amrnb amrwb bash-completion binary-drivers bitmap-fonts bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdb cdda cddb cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cdrom cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cxx dbus dga dhcpcd dia dirac directfb distcc divx djvu dri dts dv dvd dvdr dvdread emboss emovix enca encode exif expat faac faad fam fbcon ffmpeg firefox firefox3 flac fortran ftp gcj gdbm gdu gif gimp glx gmp gnutls gpm hddtemp hdri highlight iconv icq ieee1394 imagemagick imap imlib2 ipv6 jabber jingle jpeg jpeg2k juju kde kde4 kdm kdrive kpathsea lame lastfm lcms libcaca libdvdread libnotify libssh2 lm_sensors logitech-mouse lzma lzo mad matroska mikmod mime mjpeg mmap mmx mmxext mng modules mp2 mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mtp mudflap multilib multitarget musepack musicbrainz ncurses nls nocd nptl nptlonly nuv ogg oggvorbis openal openexr opengl openmp openssl oscar otr pam pango pcre pdf plasma plotutils png policykit posix postproc ppds ps pstricks python qt3support qt4 quicktime rar readline realmedia reiser4 reiserfs rtsp samba schroedinger sdl session sha512 shaders smp sndfile spell sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg symlink sysfs syslog tcpd theora threads thumbnail thumbnails tiff tls truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb v4l2 vaapi vcd videos vorbis wavpack wma wma-fixed wmf wmp x264 xanim xcb xcomposite xine xml xorg xpm xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ice1724" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en en_GB de" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa vga fglrx" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

gcc-config -l gave:
Code:
gcc-config  -l
 * gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2

A few minutes ago I edited /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2 and exchanged "lib with "lib64", now i get:
Code:
/etc/env.d/gcc # gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2 *
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2_backup

[/code]
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried to compile a "hello world" C-program:

gcc -Wall foo.c
In file included from foo.c:1:0:
/usr/include/stdio.h:34:21: fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

:(
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcTux wrote:
dreadlorde wrote:

+1

I'm not a developper, but I think 10 years ago it was a great idea because of disk capacities; but today I think this should not be a requirement.

Yeah...

And when everything is statically linked on your system, and a massive security flaw is found in a core library, have fun recompiling everything that links with it.

Think about load times with everything statically linked. That'd be terrible.
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure I won't make it worse:

Code:
mkdir tmp; cd tmp; wget stage3-tarball; tar xpf stage3-tarball; mount  dev, sys, proc ... ; cp /etc/make.conf, resolv.conf ...; chroot . /bin/bash
env-update; source /etc/profile; emerge --sync; FEATURES="buildpkg" emerge --emptytree gcc ncurses

then install these 2 packages on the host.

Could this fix my problem or will it make it worse?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luda,

gcc-config wrote:

[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2

Tells that a recent update installed gcc-4.5.2, which as it is more than just a bugfix was installed in a new slot. As you did not select it, it was not being used.
Thats ok, you don't have to use the newest gcc you have.

Some time later, you did emerge --depclean, which removed all old packages on your system - including your active gcc. Hence the error from gcc-config because its still pointing to your old gcc.

The fix for this is to select an existing gcc. As you only have one to choose,
Code:
gcc-config 1
will do that.
Follow the instructions on the screen when the command completes too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Luda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually using gcc 4.5.2 for a while now, gcc-config 1 was telling me "Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2", after changing /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib64/ in the mentioned file the error message was gone. This led me in the right direction:

If I had downloaded the correct ncurses archive the first time, everything would have been fine (I guess). But I didn't. I use a 64bit-system (multilib), the file in the link above is for a 32-bit system.
I then wanted to remove the files I just put on my system (as explained in previous post) and did something like
Code:
rm `tar tf ncurses.tbz`

and then unpacked the 64bit-file. It took me some time to realize that /lib/ on a 64bit-System is just a symlink to /lib64/, which was then replaced by an ordinary directory named "lib".
recreating the symlinks (/lib/ -> /lib64/ and /usr/lib/ -> /usr/lib64/) fixed everything.

Thanks for your help and support everybody :)
BrainMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luda wrote:
I am actually using gcc 4.5.2 for a while now, gcc-config 1 was telling me "Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.2", after changing /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib64/ in the mentioned file the error message was gone. This led me in the right direction:

If I had downloaded the correct ncurses archive the first time, everything would have been fine (I guess). But I didn't. I use a 64bit-system (multilib), the file in the link above is for a 32-bit system.
I then wanted to remove the files I just put on my system (as explained in previous post) and did something like
Code:
rm `tar tf ncurses.tbz`

and then unpacked the 64bit-file. It took me some time to realize that /lib/ on a 64bit-System is just a symlink to /lib64/, which was then replaced by an ordinary directory named "lib".
recreating the symlinks (/lib/ -> /lib64/ and /usr/lib/ -> /usr/lib64/) fixed everything.

Thanks for your help and support everybody :)

Someone, give this guy a prize!!

I have been searching for several days for an answer to this problem. Nothing I found was helpful until I came across this post. I would imagine this being one of the most common reasons for the "C compiler cannot make executables" errors.

My problem was that I hadn't really touched the system, or at least, so I thought. I had "installed" a Gametree Linux tarball. It looks legitimate, I picked it up from the source, everything looks okay, but the damn thing replaces the /usr/lib symlink with a directory, completely crippling everything, including X, so I am stuck in the console. After seeing this post, I realized what had happened, and went back to Gentoo, fixing the link. Voilá, everything back to normal.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this problem really isn't addressed anywhere else, as far as I have been able to tell...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: