Question about installing X & KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schuthrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Question about installing X & KDE Reply with quote

So there I am trying to emerge KDE. Obviously it needs to emerge the X stuff first. I patiently wait for it to complete, actually I went to sleep, but then, don't we all at this point? Everything goes well, so I run through the configuration. At this time I didn't have the "Desktop Configuration" http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml in front of me, so I was playing it by ear. Anyway, I'm succesful with the install and the configuration. So I type 'startx' and nothing happens...command not found. Hm... I check where any startx lives and there's one in /usr/X11R6/bin. So I check my path and that's not included.

I tried making a link to startx in /usr/sbin, but then it complained about not being able to find other files, so I tossed that idea.

Shouldn't the path to this been put in there after the install of X? I'm wondering this because I fear I did something wrong along the way.

If not, where's the best place for me to append the new path? I'd like to ensure this path is appended for any user logging into the system.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Schuthrax
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add /usr/X11R6/bin to your PATH variable and you should be good to go. I had to add it to mine, so it may be a bug. (might want to check bugs.gentoo.org and see if it's already been filed and, if not, file it. :))

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: