B&W G3, PCI Radeon 7000, DRI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
threegee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: B&W G3, PCI Radeon 7000, DRI Reply with quote

I've been reading the various fora trying to resolve this.

My machine is a Blue-And-White G3/450 (PowerMac motherboard: Blue&White G3 according to dmesg) with a PCI Radeon 7000
(from dmesg:
Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,RV100ad_A at 8c008000, depth=8, pitch=768
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci@80000000/ATY,RV100Parent@10/ATY,RV100ad_A
Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,RV100ad_B at 89008000, depth=8, pitch=768
fb1: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci@80000000/ATY,RV100Parent@10/ATY,RV100ad_B

My first question is why it reports 2 framebuffer devices; I assume it is because the card has both VGA and digital outs (forgot the TLA, sorry, "the one Cinema Displays use").

When I try for DRI, it fails: black screen, and the monitor powers off (well, goes to sleep). The keyboard is responsive only to the three-finger salute. The machine is still otherwise responsive (from remote).

XFree86 seems to think it's working, though. As far as the logs are concerned, it's working fine. There's all sorts of cheery talk about DRI working fine. I'm sure it is, if only I could see it. :)

The monitor is an AOC Spectrum 9Glrs, which is unexciting but well-supported by everything (even OS X knows what it is), so I am tempted to discount the monitor as the problem here.

Note also that when I try to boot with the xfree-drm drivers on the box, it won't start X at all, even with every possible "fallback" option (using an old kernel, video=ofonly, etc). Only after I unmerged them, did it work. (I should note I followed the cookbook from the PPC FAQ).

I'm wondering a few things. Mainly, why the presence of the DRM drivers would inhibit X starting, even if they're not loaded and AFAIK I'm trying to use the FB device (ie, booting with 'video=ofonly', not insmod'ing anything, and so forth). Second I'm wondering if there's an additional step required somewhere, that I have missed or misunderstood. For example the cookbook says "radeonfb" but I see mentions about plain ol' "radeon" as the append line. I'm wondering which is right (ie there is a video driver called "radeonfb.o", but xfree-drm builds "radeon.o").

Cheers and TIA,
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: B&W G3, PCI Radeon 7000, DRI Reply with quote

threegee wrote:
My first question is why it reports 2 framebuffer devices; I assume it is because the card has both VGA and digital outs (forgot the TLA, sorry, "the one Cinema Displays use").

ADC (Apple Display Connector) .. and yes that is the second pci device.

threegee wrote:
When I try for DRI, it fails: black screen, and the monitor powers off (well, goes to sleep). The keyboard is responsive only to the three-finger salute. The machine is still otherwise responsive (from remote).

Often a mointor will power-off when it detects a frequency beyond what it is capable.

threegee wrote:
Note also that when I try to boot with the xfree-drm drivers on the box, it won't start X at all, even with every possible "fallback" option (using an old kernel, video=ofonly, etc). Only after I unmerged them, did it work.

Are you loading the radeon driver? (that is the xfree-drm driver and not the radeonfb .. which sould be built into your kernel).

threegee wrote:
I'm wondering a few things. Mainly, why the presence of the DRM drivers would inhibit X starting, even if they're not loaded and AFAIK I'm trying to use the FB device (ie, booting with 'video=ofonly', not insmod'ing anything, and so forth). Second I'm wondering if there's an additional step required somewhere, that I have missed or misunderstood. For example the cookbook says "radeonfb" but I see mentions about plain ol' "radeon" as the append line. I'm wondering which is right (ie there is a video driver called "radeonfb.o", but xfree-drm builds "radeon.o").
The radeon driver is not part of

"radeonfb" is the kernel frambuffer support, "radeon" is both a drm module AND an X driver. An AGP machine would also use "agpgart" .. the B&W is a pci machine. radeon (the X driver) comes as part of xfree86, and radeon (drm) comes from the xfree-drm package.

radeonfb should be built into your kernel. In your X86Config you should stipulate `Driver "radeon"` and `Option "UseFBDev" "true"` in the section "Device". The radeon drm module should be loaded prior to starting X (via /etc/modules.autoload would be the most obvious), and in the section "Module" you should include 'dri', 'GLcore' and 'glx' (for 3d rendering).

The problem as you describe it sounds like a typical problem with a missing module(s) and/or option in your configuartion. Post more info (lsmod, sections from your kernel configuration and XF86Config) if you have further problems
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: