deferring qtwebengine builds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: deferring qtwebengine builds Reply with quote

Yesterday, in my weekly emerge --update, I noticed that an update to dev-libs/re2 was going to cause a rebuild of qtwebengine. I decided I wanted to postpone this, so I added
Code:
>dev-libs/re2-0.2020.08.01
to package.mask to mask the update.

I have decided to try this as a strategy to deal with repeated qtwebengine builds - every time I see that a package upgrade will force a rebuild of qtwebengine, I will mask it. At some point, this will cause a problem - I will get a blocker, or one of those old ebuilds will be removed from the tree. At that point, I will bite the bullet, and remove all those masks and let everything including qtwebengine, build. I hope to reduce the number of painful qtwebengine compiles this way.

Thoughts?
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like this could be more readily solved by masking dev-qt/qtwebengine, then using emerge --unmerge to remove it. If you mask packages triggering the rebuild, then you are not updating those packages, and will miss out on any fixes (including security fixes) in those packages.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, one of the packages I use regularly - kmymoney - has a hard dependency on qtwebengine. Yeah, I know I'll miss a few updates, so I probably won't keep these masked very long.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use unstable version you can wait some days for the release of 5.15.2 version for build with new re2
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar problems with things like isl/icu causing rebuilds of huge packages. I just emerge --exclude the offending libs until the big package gets an update itself.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using stable qtwebengine, so I guess updates will be slower. I think, to reduce the number of missing updates, I will unmask and rebuild it every other time it needs rebuilding.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: