View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, then lets remove php from the tree, who use that anyway, or perhaps remove gnash, I read on mailing list that actually someone proposed that 8O I don't know the answer but you should remove broken and unmaintained ebuilds, not unmaintained.
chimpushrm9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

We need some sort of disaster before people understand that we need some rules and structure.

Haha. Funny but true. :D
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, because it's when it happens that we see what is going on the side track and then we can ajust after that.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why you need true multiple repository support, so developer territory can be demarcated in a sane way and users can ditch crappy trees.
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Diego - Samba ebuilds have been fucked a long time, and that split to multiple packages seems quite absurd - you don't make more ebuild work when you can't even keep current with simple straightforward ones.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimpushrm9 wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

We need some sort of disaster before people understand that we need some rules and structure.

Haha. Funny but true. :D

++

it's always the same: first people have to come to harm, companies or other kind of structures going down before everyone wakes up and regrets and thinks back how great the time before was and improves things :?

that quote wasn't from me

kudos to Icer ;)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog wrote:
PHP herd needs more people just like all the other herds.

[...]

We need new blood, on a regular basis.

It doesn't look like you need more people. More developers would be convenient, but you don't seem to need an influx of new blood that exceeds the current rate of recruitment. Or at least you're not letting it show ;)

beandog wrote:
I still don't understand what keeps people from signing up [...].

Gentoo isn't new and exciting anymore. There once was that wave of enthusiasm about the whole Gentoo thing that made people want to be a part of it. Being part of great and innovative open source project is inherently rewarding. Even more so if the people you work with are competent and friendly and inspire each other to do great work, learn a lot and work unitedly to improve the distribution they love. But those times are over. Gentoo isn't new and exciting and some of the developers, well, they aren't exaggeratedly friendly and inspiring either ;)

It seems like there is no inherent reward in being a developer anymore. Imho, that's exactly what keeps people from signing up. I've already written about my opinions on this topic here. If you don't find a way to make the experience of being a Gentoo developer/staffer inherently rewarding again and communicate this outwardly, people are going to stay away.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still that bad? From what I've seen (as a user), things have calmed down a lot since the exherbo folk resigned/got kicked out ... or at least it's not publicly visible anymore.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad at all. Most people are friendly and nice to work with. Of course there are the occasional fights and nervous breakdowns, but that will happen in any organization of this size.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
Is it still that bad? From what I've seen (as a user), things have calmed down a lot since the exherbo folk resigned/got kicked out ... or at least it's not publicly visible anymore.

oh they still lurk at the window screaming in every now and again and ppl still listen to them...
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about going through the process of becoming a gentoo developer before, but there are two main things which stop me.

1) There is oodles of needless bureaucracy. From the outside looking in, there appears to be a lot of meetings about having meetings to discuss when how something will be done, followed by a lack of implementation of the idea as

2) the petty bickering between devs takes over.

There seems to be a conflict between developers wanting to do their own thing (it is a hobby for them after all) and the overall bureaucracy trying to dictate what is supposed to happen with little follow up (because the devs want to do their own thing).

Add into that the stuff that Diego has pointed out, like wasting time on useless test questions that are no longer relevant and I ask myself why I should bother jumping through all the hoops just to deal with the bureaucratic nightmare. I realize that the purpose of the tests is to make sure people understand what they are doing so they don't screw up the tree for everyone (not to mention the systems trying to build that tree), but what's the point of even having them if gentoo devs can trash all over the tree once they get access anyway?

In short, gentoo needs stronger leadership while also taking into account that devs are autonomous and into their own thing. Until that gets fixed, which after watching the fireworks every few months, I doubt will ever happen, then maybe more outsiders like me would be willing to join. In the meantime, I file bugs, sometimes with patches on stuff I can track down myself, and keep my own private overlay since patches don't seem to get picked up due to lack of developers (take this trivial patch to let stable php build with stable db in bug 289669 that has been sitting there since October). It seems everyone in the php herd is AWOL and they're not the only herd short on people or the only package without a maintainer, but there are potential devs sitting out there who would join if not for the way gentoo's bureaucracy is so poorly run.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have autonomous developers and strong leadership, the two are mutually exclusive. Certainly the developers are volunteers and they should be afforded latitude to pursue projects they find interesting. But from time to time you need to pull in the reigns and coordinate to get specific problems dealt with.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
You can't have autonomous developers and strong leadership, the two are mutually exclusive.

Linux kernel?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
Linux kernel?

Gentoo dev != Kernel dev. Maybe if Gentoo still had it's benevolent dictator they'd be remotely related styles. Besides, Linus is not afraid of asserting things he does and does not want.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drobbins seems to be trying out a similar organizational model with funtoo. He's using git to pull from Gentoo official and to allow others to pull from him, though I suppose he figures that with his reputation downstream users will be mostly using his tree and associated tools.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
Hypnos wrote:
Linux kernel?

Gentoo dev != Kernel dev.

Well, at first glance I'd say that Kernel dev is better at what it's doing.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
drobbins seems to be trying out a similar organizational model with funtoo. He's using git to pull from Gentoo official and to allow others to pull from him, though I suppose he figures that with his reputation downstream users will be mostly using his tree and associated tools.

and it's a good idea,

if the funtoo-tree wasn't that slow in syncing / updating I'd switch over to it

d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, since Daniel removed the Sunrise overlay that was included inside the Funtoo tree.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:

drobbins has no leadersip skills. As a result, he will always remain on the sideline.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
I've thought about going through the process of becoming a gentoo developer before, but there are two main things which stop me.

1) There is oodles of needless bureaucracy. From the outside looking in, there appears to be a lot of meetings about having meetings to discuss when how something will be done, followed by a lack of implementation of the idea as

2) the petty bickering between devs takes over.

There seems to be a conflict between developers wanting to do their own thing (it is a hobby for them after all) and the overall bureaucracy trying to dictate what is supposed to happen with little follow up (because the devs want to do their own thing).

Okay, this is the EXACT argument I want to call out (and I'm honestly not picking on you, saellaven, it's just that I seem the same points raised over and over again).

1) How things appear != how they are.

I *really* hate it when people say "Well, looking from the outside in, it looks like a total waste of time." Frankly, if you're not a dev, you have no idea what it's like.

I enjoy Gentoo development. I get tired of it sometimes, yes, but that's because there's lots to do and I over-commit (that happens in other areas of life, not just Gentoo development).

2) Ignore the bickering, and get to work.

Seriously, just do something. This is how community projects OPERATE NATURALLY. If you don't like something, step up and change it. As freaking simple as that.

</incoherent rant>
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
In short, gentoo needs stronger leadership

Leaders don't develop from people sitting on the sidelines whining about what should change. Leaders come from people who get in the game and play.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog wrote:
If you don't like something, step up and change it. As freaking simple as that.

Mmmm, yeah, it's so simple, that's why Gentoo has been an ever derailing train wreck since drobbins decided to check out IRL. Daniel may not be the greatest leader mankind has known, but at least when he was holding the reigns things kept moving along.

Seriously, you devs *really* don't sit back and take the time to look at your own behaviour. Your recruitment process is a joke, you frequently waste time bitching over trivialities, there's no leadership worth speaking about all, you don't accept criticism, even if you did you wouldn't do anything to change it.

And I'm sorry, but *wah*you're not a dev so you don't know what it's like*wah* doesn't cut it. There's been a massive load of people over the years who could have done plenty for Gentoo, but couldn't be bothered dealing with the hassle of all the bureaucracy and narcissism. And by extension, *wah*lack of man power*wah* doesn't cut it when you completely fail to leverage your generally intelligent user base, recruit new developers, and mobilise the developers you currently have.

Gentoo could be great again if its developers stopped acting like a bunch of over-grown children, sucked it up, coordinated, and worked together to get things done.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not interested in becoming a dev BUT let's start with some constructive criticism and suggestions:

everyone wanting to see a change (either from dev oder users side):

*) either re-write the recruitment process

or

*) make a list of suggestions where and how the process of recruitment and status as a dev can be improved

otherwise we're still at the same spot in a year or more ranting here and there about how bad becoming a dev and gentoo's structure is

I hate today's society's structures and how people tend to talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk and at some point make constructive arguments, suggestions but despite putting this to work afterwards still keep on talking afterwards

hey - it's crystal clear: talking is easier than work but it has to be done otherwise we'd still be sitting in our caves

like some of the (kernel-)devs write:

talk is cheap :D

saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog wrote:

Okay, this is the EXACT argument I want to call out (and I'm honestly not picking on you, saellaven, it's just that I seem the same points raised over and over again).

1) How things appear != how they are.

I *really* hate it when people say "Well, looking from the outside in, it looks like a total waste of time." Frankly, if you're not a dev, you have no idea what it's like.

1) You lament that there aren't more developers, I tell you why I, specifically, have never bothered to seek out a role as a developer, and I get met basically with "I'm sick of hearing this argument." The argument exists, in fact, persists, for a reason. It's been presented numerous times and the public reaction of many gentoo devs that see it amounts to sticking their fingers in their ears, stating that they can't hear you, and telling you that your ideas, as the potential recruit, are the problem rather than the recruiting policies.

2) Perception is reality. This is the public image that gentoo's bureaucracy projects. If you (the gentoo bureaucracy) don't agree with the image projected, you (the gentoo bureaucracy) have to work to change that perception. The onus is on the gentoo devs/council/etc to project the image they want to be the face of gentoo.

3) which gets back to the fact that a lot of those people that are responsible like the glory but don't care so much about doing the work. It's hard, especially the non-technical aspects of it for most technically inclined people. A negative reinforcement cycle gets generated which perpetuates the "myth" as reality.

Quote:

I enjoy Gentoo development. I get tired of it sometimes, yes, but that's because there's lots to do and I over-commit (that happens in other areas of life, not just Gentoo development).

Everyone appreciates that. I don't think any of the user expects any gentoo dev to work themselves into oblivion. But you said that you need more devs. To do that, the bureaucracy simply needs to change. You can argue that it doesn't, but I think the very lack of devs in light of the number of capable gentoo users proves that there is a problem.

Quote:

2) Ignore the bickering, and get to work.

Seriously, just do something. This is how community projects OPERATE NATURALLY. If you don't like something, step up and change it. As freaking simple as that.
</incoherent rant>

And what good is doing something when you file bugs that go ignored, write patches that go ignored, etc? There aren't enough devs to handle the workload as it is, which means potential recruits get discouraged and thus, yet another negative feedback loop is generated. Lack of new devs causes existing devs to burn out, which causes potential new devs to get ignored, which causes them to not want to be recruited...

I appreciate the work of almost all of the gentoo devs, yourself included. But there are a lot of problems in the gentoo bureaucracy. I realize that nobody really wants to deal with them, they'd rather be working on bugs, their own code, etc, but something NEEDS to change or the pool of devs will continue to be overworked and will atrophy over time as people burn out. You can either accept some of the criticism and do something about it, as unfun as the political end of things are, or else you can keep complaining that there aren't enough devs, wondering why we don't jump to join the bureaucracy.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

*) make a list of suggestions where and how the process of recruitment and status as a dev can be improved

Just some ideas off the top of my head in no particular order

• See Diego's comments about updating the dev manual and tests
  • Get rid of "recruiters" and make all devs recruiters
  • Encourage devs to seek out recruits when they see active potentials working through their bugs, on the forums, etc
  • Devs are volunteers, but there has to be enforcement against bad behavior. Suspend devs that violate policies (break the tree (accidental breaks excepted), overstep some herd or maintainer which forces problems onto the tree, etc). Each violation should incur a longer suspension, eventually resulting in termination of privileges and/or being forced to go through another dev to make commits to the tree. Not everyone is suitable to being a dev, even if they have dev access.
  • Actively recruit for herds/packages that need more help. Yes, projects have status pages, but things could be more streamlined. This includes watching for herds were everyone is AWOL and attempting to recruit to fill them (again, ala PHP).
  • Avoid things like the GLEP 55 headache by doing things similar to how things are done in the kernel. Design documents are fine, but what matters is already developed code. Everyone got into a tizzy about what they did or didn't want and how it would break this or that, but meanwhile, nobody seemed to be coming up with practical solutions). Further, if your code breaks existing code, you're responsible for cleaning up the other code as well.
  • Devs have to be more responsive to users if they are going to interact with them. That includes not saying things like "you don't know how it works, so just shut up." If things really aren't that way, explain how they really are but be willing to accept criticism of how things look from the outside
  • From the outside, the council, and the resulting bureaucracy, looks like nothing more than a circle jerk. Part of being an executive means getting out there and interacting with the people, not just the employees (devs) but the customers (users) as well. Without looking, I don't even know who the council members are off the top of my head. Yes, it is a job few people want to do, but the people that want the role have to be willing to handle the full spectrum of politics that goes with it.
  • Maybe there should be a user representative or two on the council so that it isn't only dev representatives.
  • Right now, gentoo reminds me of the US while it was under the Articles of Confederation. There was too much anarchy and not enough structure for the entire body to cooperate with each other. It encouraged a lot of infighting and stagnation. No dev wants to work under a totalitarian regime in their free time, but there simply has to be a clearer set of rules and clear, fair, enforced penalties for violating them.

I'm sure I can come up with some more constructive criticism, but I'm distracted with other things right now... at least there are some ideas to mull over.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: