Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Answer:No] MediaTomb - does it work with xbox 360 elite ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: [Answer:No] MediaTomb - does it work with xbox 360 elite ? Reply with quote

I have it working really well with my PS3 but have a friends Xbox 360 over and thought I would try it on there.

MediaTomb does not even show up as a media server, let alone offer any content.

Any idea what is required to make MediaTomb work with XBox? The manual does say that more work needs to be done but I tend to find manuals fall behind what the products actually do.

Last edited by lyallp on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual is still right in this case.

It won't work with 360.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, thinking that Sonny and Micro$oft are both as anal as each other with regard to content protection, that it would.

I see you have to go to all 8 corners of the world to find solutions :-) (your location)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
Strange, thinking that Sonny and Micro$oft are both as anal as each other with regard to content protection, that it would.

The issue really doesn't have anything to do with content protection.
The issue as I understand it is the 360 doesn't strictly follow the uPnp 1.0 standard and the mediatomb devs don't have 360s to really look at adding the extra support needed at this time.

lyallp wrote:
I see you have to go to all 8 corners of the world to find solutions :-) (your location)

There is also Fuppes which you can grab the latest version ebuild in bugzilla.
I have it on my machine also and it might actually be a little faster than Mediatomb. (I choose Mediatomb because of the extremely flexible import scripting and very customizable transcoding.)
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other advantages of Fupps, other than being 'faster' than MediaTomb?

I fail to see how speed can be of an issue. Are there any other features that you think would be good in Fupps?

I quite like MediaTomb, it does a better job than Windows Media Player 11, plays all my music, videos and shows my photos, including Canon RAWs, just fine, shows video thumbnails as well.

I do find that MediaTomb occasionally needs a slight kick in the pants to notice changes in directories that I have iNotify enabled on.

Other than that, MediaTomb seems to do everything I need.

I guess there is one thing I would like, I would like to be able to prevent all the categories/dates/etc, and only serve up PC Directories in my lists - I have so many photos, songs and videos that anything other than PC Directory lookup is useless (overwhelmed by the sheer volume).
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
Any other advantages of Fupps, other than being 'faster' than MediaTomb?

I fail to see how speed can be of an issue. Are there any other features that you think would be good in Fupps?

I quite like MediaTomb, it does a better job than Windows Media Player 11, plays all my music, videos and shows my photos, including Canon RAWs, just fine, shows video thumbnails as well.

I do find that MediaTomb occasionally needs a slight kick in the pants to notice changes in directories that I have iNotify enabled on.

Other than that, MediaTomb seems to do everything I need.

I guess there is one thing I would like, I would like to be able to prevent all the categories/dates/etc, and only serve up PC Directories in my lists - I have so many photos, songs and videos that anything other than PC Directory lookup is useless (overwhelmed by the sheer volume).

For speed difference we're not talking anything dramatic, but for scrolling huge lists, Fuppes felt faster.
I added video thumbnail caching on my machine which also sped up Mediatomb a bit so Fuppes really didn't have any advantages for me.

I've never had a problem with inotify issues. Its not always immediate but seems to always pick up new files (you have to use full scan mode to get updates when you change media.)

I only use Mediatomb for movies as our house has mostly Macs and iTunes/iPhoto sharing works great and has better features.

I made my own import script which for many folders just reproduces the PC-Directory structure. The exceptions are for the TV Shows and Movies folders. For the Movies folder I have it put all movies in an -All- folder and then creating sub-folder for -ABC-, -DEF- etc and also placing it in the appropriate place. For the TV Shows, I also have a folder for each show, create an -ALL- folder for every episode, but if the name has the SxxExx format, it strips this and makes sub folders for every season.

You can see a sample here: http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/Headrush69/mediatomb.jpg and http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/Headrush69/mediatomb2.jpg
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for that.
Your import looks surprisingly similar to my PC directory structure (except for the -All-) folders.
:-)

You have motivated me to investigate import scripts :-)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case you still need one, i use ushare and it works great for the xbox360
http://ushare.geexbox.org/
the dev is not support anymore and frozen, but it just works right now and do its task.
Code:
emerge libupnp
tar -x...
./configure --disable-dlna
make
ushare -x -D

it's also in portage tree, but mask and i didn't use that version (lol, didn't even saw there is one in the tree)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
Cool. Thanks for that.
Your import looks surprisingly similar to my PC directory structure (except for the -All-) folders.
:-)

You have motivated me to investigate import scripts :-)

The scripting part is really flexible.
I plan on adding more sorting folders in the Movies section for things like genre, ratings (as in PG, R, etc), and also years.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: