Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]upgrade system but keep harddisks possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]upgrade system but keep harddisks possible? Reply with quote

Hello folks. I've been forced to upgrade my pc since the ye olde motherboard got busted. So I'm using this opportunity to buy a new processor, some memory and a motherboard. I need to keep the old hard disks for now. at least until I can get the data copied somewhere.

So previously I had a athlon xp processor and a integrated nvidia graphics card. I have several harddisks: one with ide interface and a couple other with sata interface plus a cd/rw disk drive. first few disks including boot and root partition are on lvm2 partitions.

the new processor is going to be phenom and the motherboard has a integrated ati graphics card.

so am I correct when I assume that I have to first boot from live cd? or can I still boot from the hard disks? will the old kernel be able to cope with the new hardware?

Last edited by Icer on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade system but keep harddisks possible? Reply with quote

Icer wrote:
Hello folks. I've been forced to upgrade my pc since the ye olde motherboard got busted. So I'm using this opportunity to buy a new processor, some memory and a motherboard. I need to keep the old hard disks for now. at least until I can get the data copied somewhere.

So previously I had a athlon xp processor and a integrated nvidia graphics card. I have several harddisks: one with ide interface and a couple other with sata interface plus a cd/rw disk drive. first few disks including boot and root partition are on lvm2 partitions.

the new processor is going to be phenom and the motherboard has a integrated ati graphics card.

so am I correct when I assume that I have to first boot from live cd? or can I still boot from the hard disks? will the old kernel be able to cope with the new hardware?

It depends if the old linux will cope with your new hardware for several reasons:
- Will the drive order be the same? (will /dev/sda still be /dev/sda in the new machine?)
- Optimizations (did you optimize your software for a totally different processor? if yes, you *could* get in trouble)
- Kernel (do you have support for your new hardware compiled? if not, that *could* cause trouble)

Luckily, this is all easily fixed. They can all be corrected by booting a livecd and then chrooting inside the gentoo installation. There you can alter the kernel, edit fstab for the new drives and emerge -e world with new optimizations.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but, you can't chroot a 64 bit stage3 from a 32 bit system. If that is the case then you will need install from an installCD, minimal or otherwise of the correct bitness.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade system but keep harddisks possible? Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
Icer wrote:

It depends if the old linux will cope with your new hardware for several reasons:
- Will the drive order be the same? (will /dev/sda still be /dev/sda in the new machine?)
- Optimizations (did you optimize your software for a totally different processor? if yes, you *could* get in trouble)
- Kernel (do you have support for your new hardware compiled? if not, that *could* cause trouble)

Luckily, this is all easily fixed. They can all be corrected by booting a livecd and then chrooting inside the gentoo installation. There you can alter the kernel, edit fstab for the new drives and emerge -e world with new optimizations.

Ok. I'll need to take a look at the install docs again. Been a long time since. I'll keep the drive order the same. Why would it be different?

Hmm... I have a amd64 system with quite basic optimizations. O2 etc. Cannot remember them all. What comes into the old kernel, I don't think it has support for the new hardware.

Mike Hunt wrote:
... but, you can't chroot a 64 bit stage3 from a 32 bit system. If that is the case then you will need install from an installCD, minimal or otherwise of the correct bitness.

K. I thought so. So 64bit live CD it is then.

What I'm most worried is that can I get the lvm2 partitions to show up and be accessible when booting from the CD?

Anyway thanks for the advice. :)
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a new motherboard with new controllers. That means you have to transfer the disks from the old motherboard to the new one, that *could* cause a change in which order the drives are detected.

Lvm2 is supported by the kernel, it should just work if the necessary user-space tools are available (which is I think)
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and you might need to create the device nodes first if they don't show up:
Code:
vgscan
vgscan --mknodes
lvs
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hunt wrote:

I checked the processor. The old one is athlon 64. So the bitness should be correct.

Rexilion wrote:
You have a new motherboard with new controllers. That means you have to transfer the disks from the old motherboard to the new one, that *could* cause a change in which order the drives are detected.

Now that I think about this disk ordering I think it could be a problem. The old motherboard had 2 IDE interfaces so I had the disk which has the /boot and root partitions on first IDE if and the CD/RW on the second IDE if. The new one has only one IDE if. So that means I have to put the hard disk as master and the CD/RW as slave on the same if. That of course depends on my assumption that the physical cable connection order has any effect on the order the disks are detected.

I had one IDE hdd (with root and boot partitions) and one sata hdd on the lvm2 system while one sata hdd was not within the lvm2 group.

Rexilion wrote:
Lvm2 is supported by the kernel, it should just work if the necessary user-space tools are available (which is I think)

That is good to know. Thanks again.

Right now I'm waiting for the parts. Hopefully they arrive next week.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the gear. As I suspected the old kernel does not work with the new hw. I booted up from livecd(using the kernel parameter dolvm) and I am able to find and mount the old disk partitions. The lvm partitions show up too.

Yesterday I tried to compile new kernel but I did not get the sata driver right. I tried to lsmod and lspci to see what drivers the livecd used. Anyway I had to go to sleep before I got it working. If anyone got good ideas how to find out the correct drivers please tell me. The motherboard I use is asus m4a785td-v evo. As usual the motherboard manual is not very useful in finding out what driver I should use with Linux. For the display driver I can emerge ati drivers but I'm not that far yet.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icer wrote:
If anyone got good ideas how to find out the correct drivers please tell me.

Paste the output of "lspci -n" into the http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ . It will tell you the correct drivers. (thanks to pappy)
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
Icer wrote:
If anyone got good ideas how to find out the correct drivers please tell me.

Paste the output of "lspci -n" into the http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ . It will tell you the correct drivers. (thanks to pappy)

That page looks very promising. They list my motherboard too. I'll check it out. Thanks! :)
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have booted with the new kernel. IIRC the missing thing was sata AHCI driver in the kernel. I'm recompiling the system because dbus and hal fail to start. they say: unknown user: "haldaemon" and unknown group: "plugdev" etc.

Let's see if that helps. Hopefully I can start using gnome soon.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that those groups are missing sounds pretty serious. How did you do that? :S .
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
Hmm, that those groups are missing sounds pretty serious. How did you do that? :S .

I don't know really. I'm re-emerging most packages now.

Hald and dbus did not start at first boot. re-emerging helped in that case. Also my normal user account was lost somehow but I was able to recreate it using the existing user-id. So the existing file ownership associations were not lost. The most important thing right now is that I managed to keep the existing files. :) :!:

I'm now trying to get X and gnome running. I emerged the ati-drivers and put VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" in make.conf.

I noticed also a problem with the locales. In many packages complained about missing locales and defaulted to C locale. Just listing here things which I need to take a look at later... :)

It's actually quite fun to fix these things. I'm learning tons of new things again. It's like back in 2004-2005.

Last edited by Icer on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DId your computer crash? It could be that some *very* important files are located inside the lost+found directory on the root of your partition....
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
DId your computer crash? It could be that some *very* important files are located inside the lost+found directory on the root of your partition....

Well I'm not 100% sure if I've had that kind of crash. Could be worth checking though.

But now it's time for me to call it a day. I got gnome and X working.

Still on todo: check audio, locales, keyboard, unicode, dual display settings, hardware monitor/sensors..

But I think this topic is finished/solved since I got the disks and lvm partitions up and running. Thank's to all who helped. :)
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recapping the steps here in case I need to do them again:

1. boot from livecd: (kernel)gentoo-nofb dolvm
2. vgscan
3. vgscan --mknodes
4. lvs
5. mount lvm and other partitions
6. chroot
7. make new kernel