View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonsamm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Desktop environment without HAL: K3b and automounting Reply with quote

I have a system here on which I generally don't have HAL running. I only need to start it to use K3b, the CD burning/ripping tool for KDE. Without it, my CD burner seems not to be recognised. How can I configure it to understand that /dev/hdc always points to this device?

And is it possible to have USB sticks and the like automounted without HAL running?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Desktop environment without HAL: K3b and automounting Reply with quote

wilsonsamm wrote:
I have a system here on which I generally don't have HAL running. I only need to start it to use K3b, the CD burning/ripping tool for KDE. Without it, my CD burner seems not to be recognised. How can I configure it to understand that /dev/hdc always points to this device?
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-797736.html

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem possible atm, I tried with the 1.70 beta and no change, in fact now rather than just saying "no devices found", it gives "Make sure HAL daemon is running, it is used by K3b for finding devices." as the "solution"...
The k3b devs must know of the issue but are uninterested in supporting k3b without hal. :(
wilsonsamm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh this is lame.

this is highly lame.

And what will the K3b people do when HAL enters its deprecation phase? I think HAL already has been abandoned by its creators?

Is there another software for KDE that can do this job and that doesn't need HAL?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilsonsamm wrote:
tbh this is lame.

this is highly lame.

And what will the K3b people do when HAL enters its deprecation phase? I think HAL already has been abandoned by its creators?

Is there another software for KDE that can do this job and that doesn't need HAL?

Yep, that's pretty lame :(
wilsonsamm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd rather do without CD burning capabilities if it meant I didn't need to use HAL.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilsonsamm wrote:
And I'd rather do without CD burning capabilities if it meant I didn't need to use HAL.
I do most of my burning on the command line, at least for CDs, and for DVDs where I feel I need k3b I have an older installation with k3b 1.0.5 I can chroot into and use.

Something of a hassle, but still better than installing and using hal. :P
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like k3b now relies on solid for hardware detection and solid needs hal for this. There's already a hal deprecation request for solid in kde's bugzilla but this might take ages to land in an official kde release...

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
wilsonsamm wrote:
I do most of my burning on the command line, at least for CDs, and for DVDs where I feel I need k3b I have an older installation with k3b 1.0.5 I can chroot into and use.

do you use bashburn, or do you just run your own commands ?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Hopeless wrote:
wilsonsamm wrote:

do you use bashburn, or do you just run your own commands ?
I just use a few bash aliases and a couple of little scripts around cdrkit's cdrecord, depending on the task.
tbh I could do the same for dvds, I just never really bothered getting my head around using growisofs.

Polynomial-C wrote:
Seems like k3b now relies on solid for hardware detection and solid needs hal for this. There's already a hal deprecation request for solid in kde's bugzilla but this might take ages to land in an official kde release...
That's fantastic, thanks for pointing it out, I'll be keeping an eye on that, hopefully it'll be possible to patch solid ourselves once the initial work is done, I wouldn't mind that.

I suppose it'd be kde 4.6 at the earliest before we see this in a release, can't see it making 4.5 this late.

Off topic, but "Samuli Suominen", is that the same ssuominen gentoo dev?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:

At the 4.3.5 level, I don't see solid depending on hal, while k3b depends on hal directly.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
Off topic, but "Samuli Suominen", is that the same ssuominen gentoo dev?

Yes he is ;)

dmpogo wrote:
Polynomial-C wrote:

At the 4.3.5 level, I don't see solid depending on hal, while k3b depends on hal directly.

Solid doesn't hard-depend on hal but needs it currently for hardware-detection. Older solid ebuilds had a hard-dependency on hal which got removed later.
I already talked with ssuominen about k3b depending on hal but solid does not anymore but we didn't come to a conclusion yet. Let's see what will happen :)

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
keba
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, HAL will not be necessary any more in Kde 4.6, but apparently (I'm trying an RC from the overlay), K3B (2.0.1) still needs HAL... So: How can I get a system without HAL and still be able to burn CDs etc?
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3B 2.0.2 is out, and its changelog states: (http://k3b.plainblack.com/)
Quote:
Added K3B_ENABLE_HAL_SUPPORT option to the build configuration. It allows to disable any direct calls to HAL (253388)

2.0.2 is already in the portage main tree, but the ebuild still needs to be adapted. (see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=351883)

Edit: Good news, I was wrong! The ebuild does already build k3b without hal. I just looked for a new use flag, but actually the 2.0.2 ebuild has dropped hal dependency completely and builds k3b without it by default.
keba
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent news. Thanks
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kompi wrote:
K3B 2.0.2 is out, and its changelog states: (http://k3b.plainblack.com/)
Quote:
Added K3B_ENABLE_HAL_SUPPORT option to the build configuration. It allows to disable any direct calls to HAL (253388)

2.0.2 is already in the portage main tree, but the ebuild still needs to be adapted. (see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=351883)

Edit: Good news, I was wrong! The ebuild does already build k3b without hal. I just looked for a new use flag, but actually the 2.0.2 ebuild has dropped hal dependency completely and builds k3b without it by default.

That will not help with device detection nevertherless. It only eliminates direct dependence of k3b on HAL which k3b used just to stop HAL from inquiring CD/DVD drive during the burning process. k3b drive detection is done through solid, which still uses HAL
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New KDE coming out on the 26 of January with auto detection with no hal.

I am not sure if this will solve the problem for K3b, but I sure hope so...

And I just have to say, did who ever named hal ever hear of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
New KDE coming out on the 26 of January with auto detection with no hal.

I am not sure if this will solve the problem for K3b, but I sure hope so...

And I just have to say, did who ever named hal ever hear of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

as long as solid does not use HAL, k3b will be HAL free as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: