Stymied by Gambas
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Stymied by Gambas Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gambas - so I can recreate a business program I wrote in VB for use in Linux. Unfortunately, I can't make it work and I'm at a loss to figure out why! When installing Gambas-2.16.0 from Portage, it errors out like this:
Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-util/gambas-2.16.0  USE="bzip2 doc examples gtk mysql odbc opengl pcre pdf qt3 sdl smtp sqlite sqlite3 svg xml zlib -corba -curl -debug -firebird -postgres -v4l" 0 kB .....

Creating the information files for gb.xml.xslt component ...
gb.xml.xslt

make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/xslt'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/xslt'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/xslt'
Making install in rpc
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'
make[4]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
test -z "/usr/lib/gambas2" || /bin/mkdir -p "/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/image//usr/lib/gambas2"
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gb.xml.rpc.component' '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/image//usr/lib/gambas2/gb.x$
make  install-data-hook
make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'

Creating the information files for gb.xml.rpc component ...
gbi2: warning: component gb.xml.rpc not found
gb.xml.rpc
Compiling the gb.xml.rpc project ... /var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc/gb.xml.$
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `gb.xml.rpc.gambas': No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'
make[4]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src/rpc'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml/src'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0/gb.xml'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
 * ERROR: dev-util/gambas-2.16.0 failed:
 *   emake install failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  48:  Called src_install
 *   environment, line 3396:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake DESTDIR="${D}" LIBTOOLFLAGS="--quiet" install -j1 || die "emake install failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =dev-util/gambas-2.16.0',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =dev-util/gambas-2.16.0'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/dev-util:gambas-2.16.0:20100128-112912.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-util/gambas-2.16.0/work/gambas2-2.16.0'
Yes, libxml2 and libxslt are installed.

I had problems in the past installing Gambas from Portage, so I thought I'd try installing from source. That version is 2.19.0 and IT errors out like this:
Code:
ruck gambas2-2.19.0 # make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0'
Making all in main
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main'
make  all-recursive
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main'
Making all in gbx
make[4]: Entering directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main/gbx'
/bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile ccache gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..    -DGBX_INFO -pipe -Wall -Wno-unused$
libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6b.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6
libtool: and run autoconf again.
make[4]: *** [gb_la-gbx_c_class.lo] Error 63
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main/gbx'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0/main'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/gambas/gambas2-2.19.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
This, after following the 'Debian' installation instructions from the Gambas home page. This occurred at step 3 'make'. To try and fix the problem, I removed and reinstalled both 'libtool' and m4. This failed to solve the problem. I get the same error, which you see above.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just emerge'ed it without any problems on a freshly installed system.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently re-installed the system on this box to do a new install of KDE4 - I'd just as soon not do it again just to install Gambas....
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would update portage and try again, if it still happens open a bug report
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update...

When I got back home, I tried installing both the package from Portage and 2.19.0 from source on my desktop (x86_64) machine and it failed in the same manner as on my laptop. I also, hated to do it - but I had some spare time, did a fresh Gentoo install on my laptop and Gambas failed to install again. So, I added some comments to this Bug #302136 bug.
Jerry McBride
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:
Just an update...

When I got back home, I tried installing both the package from Portage and 2.19.0 from source on my desktop (x86_64) machine and it failed in the same manner as on my laptop. I also, hated to do it - but I had some spare time, did a fresh Gentoo install on my laptop and Gambas failed to install again. So, I added some comments to this Bug #302136 bug.

Ok... it's an answer to SIX YEAR OLD post. Your problem is (or was) the versions of the installed dependencies.

Currently, Gambas is at 3.8.4 stable and at 3.8.90 in svn. You really have to read the install documentation at: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install. Once you satisfy the dependency requirements, your compile issues will go away.

Please, someone write an ebuild for gambas. I'm willing to help as much as possible.

Jerry
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...
THANKS! :D

I gave up on Gambas a while back. Actually, I sold my truck (the one in my avatar) and went to work driving for a local company, so I don't need the program any more. I don't even mess with programming any more...I had some thoughts about learning 'C' but have NO time...too many projects, hobbies, etc. But thanks for the response non-the-less! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: