Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NTFS partition showing up empty, but the data is there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: NTFS partition showing up empty, but the data is there? Reply with quote

For some odd reason, after having asked for a mate of mine to copy some of his stuff over onto my external HDD, which runs 3 ~300gb partitions, one of those partitions seems to have become 'empty'. It still shows up as there is over 100gb of stuff on the partition, but opening it up in MC or through desktop, just shows it as empty.

There is a similar problem with my 'music' folder on Partition 3, which is showing up as empty, while all the other stuff on partition 3 is there.

I know there is data on partition 2, as that's where I move all my games, when I have no space on my machine to install a new one

EDIT1:
If I mount partition 2 manually, through NTFS-3G, all the data shows up. Is this a problem with the automount module/kernel ntfs module?
ignislupis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange problem with ntfs on linux. Could be similar to your music folder problem. I don't think it applies to the whole partition problem though

I can't remember if it was just the in-kernel driver or ntfs-3g but I ended up with two folders on my ntfs partition 'movies' and 'Movies'. Now in windows I would only get one folder to show up and I think it was the first folder to be created (I don't remember which folder was first). When mounted in Linux I would get both folders (as we know that Linux differentiates between cases even though the file system technically doesn't). I thought it very strange. (I also wondered if I could hide stuff this way. A kind of weird exploit that most people wouldn't be looking for.)

I have since merged the two folders and don't have any problems.

I hope my weird problem helps with your weird problem. :)

Good luck!
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem may be due to bad interaction between the kernel's internal module and the NTFS-3G module. I was advised a while ago to just go with the NTFS-3G only and has been working fine.
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
I think your problem may be due to bad interaction between the kernel's internal module and the NTFS-3G module. I was advised a while ago to just go with the NTFS-3G only and has been working fine.

the only thing that's on, in Kernel, as i've just checked, is the Fuse, on as a Module. NTFS in kernel is not on, for I did have some problems with the kernel's ntfs module before. Or are you saying turn Fuse off in kernel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: