arch [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: arch [solved] Reply with quote

I've been using gentoo for a long time and have tackled kernels many times, but I have a couple of basic questions re arch.
I've always dealt with 32 bit systems, but a long time ago I replaced the motherboard and now have a 64 machine.
I've just damaged and repaired my gentoo by trying to switch to a 64 profile, only proving I need a new fresh install to switch, but re kernels;
I've just emerged the current xen kernel and it's just compiled. I've viewed a few posts and have followed a standard guide, but am left puzzled by some basics. Firstly from the guide:

Quote:

Code Listing 2.3: Enabling Xen Support for i386 Kernels

Processor type and features --->
Subarchitecture Type (Xen-compatible)

Code Listing 2.4: Enabling Xen Support for x86_64 Kernels

Processor type and features --->
Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible)
[*] Enable Xen compatible kernel

I hate it when it doesn't correspond with the kernel content: This is what I get.

Code:

.config - Linux Kernel v2.6.31-xen-r10 Configuration
 ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
  ┌───────────────────────── Processor type and features ─────────────────────────┐
  │  Arrow keys navigate the menu.  <Enter> selects submenus --->.  Highlighted   │
  │  letters are hotkeys.  Pressing <Y> includes, <N> excludes, <M> modularizes   │
  │  features.  Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help, </> for Search.  Legend:  │
  │  [*] built-in  [ ] excluded  <M> module  < > module capable                   │
  │ ┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │
  │ │    [*] Symmetric multi-processing support                                 │ │
  │ │    [*] Support sparse irq numbering                                       │ │
  │ │    [*] Enable MPS table                                                   │ │
  │ │    [*] Xen-compatible                                                     │ │
  │ │    [*] Single-depth WCHAN output                                          │ │
  │ │        Processor family (586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX)  --->                   │ │
  │ │    [*] Generic x86 support                                                │ │
  │ │    [ ] PentiumPro memory ordering errata workaround                       │ │

Now am I being pedantic or does it NOT read Subarchitecture Type ???? It does read xen compatible. It it one and the same???
Then for 64 does it NOT read Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible)?? Am I missing it????

Now I actually want to compile a kernel for each. I can use 32 in my current gentoo, and I will spark up another 64 bit gentoo.

It does NOT include a line
Quote:
Processor family (586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX) --->

which is what the kernel config DOES provide. Now the choices are a source for confusion.

Code:

───────────────────────── Processor family ─────────────────────────┐
        │  Use the arrow keys to navigate this window or press the hotkey of │
        │  the item you wish to select followed by the <SPACE BAR>. Press    │
        │  <?> for additional information about this option.                 │
        │ ┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │
        │ │     ( ) 386                                                    │ │
        │ │     ( ) 486                                                    │ │
        │ │     (X) 586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX                                │ │
        │ │     ( ) Pentium-Classic                                        │ │
        │ │     ( ) Pentium-MMX                                            │ │
        │ │     ( ) Pentium-Pro                                            │ │
        │ └─────────v(+)───────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ │
        ├────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
        │                       <Select>      < Help >                       │

The default settings keep selecting Pentium-pro which is wrong. Mine is a dual-core intel, and the setting that works for my machine is as selected in the above.

According to the above, I can't make a selection for 64 kernel, the options are not there.
So, what are the correct settings from the above for a 32 kernel and for a 64 kernel??
Can someone please clarify this important fundamental?

In addition, after compling, I get

Code:

AS      firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-4.6.17.fw.gen.o
firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-4.6.17.fw.gen.S: Assembler messages:
firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-4.6.17.fw.gen.S:13: Error: cannot represent relocation type BFD_RELOC_64
firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-4.6.17.fw.gen.S:14: Error: cannot represent relocation type BFD_RELOC_64
make[1]: *** [firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-4.6.17.fw.gen.o] Error 1
make: *** [firmware] Error 2

Is this important?

Last edited by idella4 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not qualified to answer your questions in detail, but I believe you do need to do a fresh install if you're changing from 32 to 64 bit. I think I wanted to "upgrade" some time ago and learned that this is not something you can "upgrade". It has to be done 32 or 64 bit from the start.

I'm sure others will step in with better answers for you. 8)
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef, yes you're right, your not qualifed, and it does require a fresh install which I am about to do. But that wasn't my question.
To update, Ive compiled the thing and ran it in my gentoo. It took one second to pull up. Message about 32 bit system stipulated, faced with a 64 bit kernel.
That puts me ahead of myself. I want a 32 bit version first. It seems I have a 64 bit version!!!

So, someone else. How to config for a 32 bit and make sense of the muddled instructions from the gentoo doc.

oh I am quite confused. I compiled this kernel in my healthy 32 based gentoo system and posted the post.
I've switched over to a 64 bit debian lenny, to which I am going to try the gentoo xen kernel. I've made what appears to be a 64 bit kernel, but maybe it's not.
I've copied the gentoo kernel source over to lenny tried when yesterday which didn't work. Now I've just copied the .config over
from my gentoo to lenny's copy of the source and was about to recompile it, and I get this

Code:

.config - Linux Kernel v2.6.31-xen-r10 Configuration
 ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
  ┌─────────────────────────────── Processor type and features ───────────────────────────────┐
  │  Arrow keys navigate the menu.  <Enter> selects submenus --->.  Highlighted letters are   │ 
  │  hotkeys.  Pressing <Y> includes, <N> excludes, <M> modularizes features.  Press          │ 
  │  <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help, </> for Search.  Legend: [*] built-in  [ ] excluded    │ 
  │  <M> module  < > module capable                                                           │ 
  │ ┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ 
  │ │        [ ] Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks) (NEW)                                      │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] High Resolution Timer Support (NEW)                                        │ │ 
  │ │        [*] Symmetric multi-processing support                                         │ │ 
  │ │        [*] Support sparse irq numbering                                               │ │ 
  │ │        [*] Enable MPS table                                                           │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] Enable Xen compatible kernel (NEW)                                         │ │ 
  │ │        [*] Support for extended (non-PC) x86 platforms (NEW)                          │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] ScaleMP vSMP (NEW)                                                         │ │ 
  │ │        [*] Single-depth WCHAN output                                                  │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] Paravirtualized guest support (NEW)  --->                                  │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] Memtest (NEW)                                                              │ │ 
  │ │            Processor family (Generic-x86-64)  --->                                    │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] IBM Calgary IOMMU support (NEW)                                            │ │ 
  │ │        [ ] AMD IOMMU support (NEW)                                                    │ │ 

under Processor type and features --->

Now what is going on? I compiled it, switched systems, and this 64 lenny SEEMS when bringing
up make menuconfig to have thrown out the .config I prepared and appears to have made a new
alternate .config, which is completely unconfigured. I'v saved my copy in /boot ofcourse, but is this
a linux system's way of configuring a kernel?????

Then if so, how could I have prepared a 64 kernel, or must it actually be a 32 kernel which has misfired with a misleading message?
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is relevant; can you set up a 32 bit chroot on a Gentoo 64 machine and build a Gentoo 32 kernel from there?
How to set up a 32bit chroot
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Mike see IM.

I'm not concerned re chroot, I'd like some comment to explain this new config occuring. It's confusing and unexpected.
It's more than coincidence that a 64 bit system delivers a config with above settings which match
what I had claimed as previously missing. I'm dealt with an unconfigured .config after spending hours preparing one in gentoo,
Well it will take less time to repeat, but why waste hard effort?

review, just reviewed the config. It's not completely unconfigured. My previous settings were also in place, so does the system have some background settings that deliver an arch appropriate config file???

If so, what happened on my gentoo with the misfire that occured with the kernel I prepared in my 32 gentoo?
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idella4 wrote:
audiodef, yes you're right, your not qualifed, and it does require a fresh install which I am about to do. But that wasn't my question.

That's cool. I didn't think I was. I was just trying to add any help I could, so no need to be an ass. 8)
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef, I'm too consumed in being confused to have time to be an ass. That's not my intent.
I just look forward to posts that will resolve. You're right in what you suggest, I'd just already established that myself anyway.

The point at hand is how to configure a 32 vs 64 bit kernel. Can someone clarify what's going on here?

On boot, it reads

Code:

..... 32 bit xen kernel
host  64 bit dom0 kernel.

Findings so far suggest I (?? need( a 64 bit system to create a 64 bit kernel??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: