View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miros84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Ati VS Nvidia in Linux Reply with quote

I want to buy a new computar, and I was wondering which is the best supported and has better perfomence in Linux systems? I want to play HD movies
Tell me your opinions.
aceFruchtsaft
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidia's binary driver is still much better than ATI's proprietary one, IMO. On the other hand, the open source drivers for ATI card are more advanced than the one for Nvidia cards (nouveau), but still cannot keep up with ATI's binary driver as far as 3D acceleration is concerned.

I'd probably recommend Nvidia, however they currently only offer DX 10.1 cards while ATI already supports DX 11 (this might be relevant in the near future if you have a dual boot setup with Windows for gaming).
r3tep
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ati VS Nvidia in Linux Reply with quote

miros84 wrote:
I want to play HD movies

If you want to play BluRay, you should read the relevant threads in this board because there are some problems you'll get (encryption, DRM).
If you want to play HDTV, contact your TV-provider about supportet decryption-modules (and DRM).

Unencryptet and DRM-free HD-files should not be a problem on modern hardware.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unencryptet and DRM-free HD-files should not be a problem on modern hardware.

Modern hardware can be also low-power cool & quiet Atom, EPIA, Geode. Then hardware decoding becomes important. See stickies on this very forum.
zlomek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best is INTEL :wink:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want todo?

nvidia is still the best if you want 3D stuff for game.

ATi with their improved drivers are getting better but still hit& miss sometimes.
Providing openspecs is nice and all but for an end-user it is essencially useless for those that just want a GPU that works in linux. Maybe in a couple more years but atm don't count on it

intel cards are nice but not that powerful.

So just review what you want from it. I would personall go nvidia
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best is INTEL

:lol: Intel makes the worst GPU hardware and has the worst drivers.

At least that is what the wine folks tell me. I made the mistake of going for the default intel gma on the dell laptop I had work order me. This has prevented me from doing pretty much any real gaming in linux on the box when I am not using it for its intended work related purpose..

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to buy new laptop. Currently my notebook has ATI X1600 Mobility on board and it worked quite fine until one day Ati decided to discontinue support for my graphics card after 2 years, which meant that I had to switch to open source drivers if I wanted to update the kernel. On the contrary, at work I have a much older box with Nvidia card and it's still supported! That's why although ATI seems to be producing better cards recently, I will stick to Nvidia. The other reason is that many scientific (and others too) applications are being written using Nvidia CUDA technology while AMD is just starting with their Stream technology.
Or maybe I'm wrong with my ATI prejudice? What would YOU say?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
The best is INTEL

At least that is what the wine folks tell me. I made the mistake of going for the default intel gma on the dell laptop I had work order me. This has prevented me from doing pretty much any real gaming in linux on the box when I am not using it for its intended work related purpose..

That's not intel's fault - it's the wine devs for using nvidia-proprietary OpenGL extensions.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
The best is INTEL

Back in 2008-2009 Intel drivers were pretty good, but nowadays I see some threads about users that need to use version 9999 to make the drivers working with Xorg-Server 1.7 and other crazy bugs.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote certainly goes to nvidia. I have had problems with ATi, and Intel graphics support is just awful as of current.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3d, nVidia with proprietary drivers. For anything else, ATi with the open source driver (eventually 3d will catch up, but today nVidia is the best option for that in Linux). There's no point in using an Intel chip.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I vote for Nvidia.
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use or plan to use multi-head, skip nvidia. I had a very nice, super-fast nvidia Quadro 295 GTX in my newest machine, but there was no support for XRandR in the nvidia drivers. That means for my dual-monitor setup I had to use Xinerama. Due to a bug in that library, the cursor would skip randomly between screens when moving or dragging windows between screens. In addition, there were no virtual consoles available. When you hit Ctrl-Alt-F[1:6], all you got was a black screen.

I bought an ATI HD4350 from Newegg for about $19 after rebate. It supports XRandR (goodbye flitty cursor), and I get a proper virtual console. Not nearly as fast as the nvidia card but I don't care. I'm never going back.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'd still say nVidia. They still have the best balance of hardware and driver stability although it's a hassle dealing with the binary blob and Gentoo's version changes sometimes.

ATI cards are seemingly faster on paper but despite them being taken over by AMD they still can't write decent drivers to save their lives, and the source drivers still have a way to go :(

Intel stuff will usually Just Work (Well, not so much the new GEM driver stuff...), but are very basic.

If it's just for playing movies and your CPU is beefy enough, an Intel will work.

Disclaimer: I've never gotten the decoding acceleration to work on nVidia, ATI or Intel graphics chips in Linux so in my case they all play video with the same overhead!
Some others here might be able to give their experiences on how easy it is to get the decoding acceleration working on ATI/NV hardware tho'; That is really the only real reason to pick one of them over an Intel card for video playback reasons.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia !

i will end my life at vomit on ati
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my nvidia card in my notebook 9800mGTS, is now supported. It has a bios bug, so I had to patch all my kernels manually for a year. Now this card is supported. The laptop is 13 months old now. The graphics card is expensive but worth its dollars. Also all livecds doesnt worked for me in native resolution for about a year now. I hate to say that, but nvidia is not my choice. I had a x700 ati card for my laptop before, and that card worked out of the box.

Also I hate that nvidia idiot idea, to rename their cards. My card is now named mobile 250gt or so, the only difference is nothing! They only overclock the cards a little and give them another newer name. Very confusing!

Well for intel, I have orded a laptop now, and I will see how awful intel really is. I expect the worst and no gaming at all from Intel.

Well one vote for nothing.

ATI worked like a charm, but thats 2 years ago, 2 years are ages in computer technology
NVIDIA creat gpu, but driver and bios bugs (in windows 1 of 5 downloaded drivers are working, but all drivers are supposed to work on windows xp)
intel ... I have ordered today a notebook with an intel card, i will see this later.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some feedback when you will have a working laptop.

I hope that your intel video card will not be a pain in the ass, because sometimes it can.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, my GMA 4500MHD has been smooth with kernel modesetting. I really don't understand all the Intel hate.
sidarali
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia with their proprietary driver and vdpau enabled decreases cpu video decoding usage dramatically in linux.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I really don't understand all the Intel hate.

I don't think there is a Intel hate. There is a hate just for you can't play games other than sudoku on an intel gpu with joy. Other than that, they are the best for power saving.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

I don't think there is a Intel hate. There is a hate just for you can't play games other than sudoku on an intel gpu with joy. Other than that, they are the best for power saving.

Well I am on the way to install gentoo, at the moment I build the kernel in the chroot envrionment.
As far as I can tell, I have an INTEL Int. GMA 4500M, HD Videos are nearly smooth in Linux-Mint. It seems there was 22 of 23 frames played of my blueray ripped video. Resolution 1920x1080. What pisses me of, that this card has no dedicated video memory. If there would be 32mb integrated in the chipset it would be enough I think. Also What I don*t like on intel cards, so many names for the same gpu, but all are the same crap. I am happy, that I dont own a GMA 950 or so in my new laptop. EEPC users can*t even watch youtube videos smoothly, because of INTEL GMA950 what all the articles in the forums on the web says.

I bought the laptop with the intel gma4500m card for backup purposes, because when My main system is falling, I want to go on smoothly working on this laptop then. I hope naev, battle for wesnoth and et are working on this card.

There is no hate for intel video cards, there is a hate on intel(if you ask me), because intel is like microsoft, There is no real competitor on processor market for laptops. Buts that totally of topic, sry.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

Indeed :P
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
...because intel is like microsoft, There is no real competitor on processor market for laptops. Buts that totally of topic, sry.

I think intel contributes to linux and open source very much for such a company. They have open source drivers and keep updating them. Nothing like microsoft. Take a look at Intel’s Open Source Technology Center You may be suprised. They always keep fine Linux support for most of their motherboards, wireless, chips, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I am not an intel fan. I never consider an intel gpu on my system, since I like gaming. But they are not as evil as microsoft. And I think sometimes microsoft is like an angel compared to apple. Apple is the most hostile company towards open-source. If they can, they will patent drinking water on foot, then all of us will have to drink water while headstanding, until they patent that, too. :)
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you guys trash Intel, remember that they've had before day one support for their graphics chips.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: