Gentoo on Amazon EC2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gthiruva
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Amazon EC2 Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success with running Gentoo as an Amazon EC2 instance. I've tried starting with a community Gentoo AMI, but as soon as I try to update it (emerge -vuD system) it becomes un-bootable. Any thoughts?

Code:

Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org/
 Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

* Mounting proc at /proc ...                                             [ ok ]
 * Mounting sysfs at /sys ...                                             [ ok ]
 * Your kernel is too old to work with this version of udev.
 * Current udev only supports Linux kernel 2.6.25 and newer.
 * Could not create /dev/pts!
 * Checking root filesystem ...fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
                                                                          [ !! ]
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
[/code]
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This line in particular seems troubling:
Code:
 * Your kernel is too old to work with this version of udev.

I don't have much experience with EC2... does it force a kernel version external to your VM (like if you were installing inside a chroot), or does it simple run your installation as-is inside a virtualized instance?
casnyder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running gentoo on ec2 for several years now, almost since they started offering ec2.

Frankly, I don't understand this:
"does it force a kernel version external to your VM (like if you were installing inside a chroot), or does it simple run your installation as-is inside a virtualized instance?"

Your image gets fired up inside a xen instance. You can choose to launch with the default kernel (2.6.16 I think), or any number of customer kernel images.

Lately I've been using Ubuntu kernels. I find them on http://thecloudmarket.com/ and pick one that matches more or less what I want, then go to kernel.org to download the appropriate kernel images so I have any modules I need.

I'm not on amazon's list of approved kernel producers, but apparently someone on the ubuntu development team is, and there you go. I'd much prefer to use kernel images produced by the gentoo community, but I haven't the slightest notion of how to interest someone in doing that.

I see cloudmarket is now listing quite a lot of gentoo images, most of which are fairly old.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casnyder wrote:
I've been running gentoo on ec2 for several years now, almost since they started offering ec2.

Frankly, I don't understand this:
"does it force a kernel version external to your VM (like if you were installing inside a chroot), or does it simple run your installation as-is inside a virtualized instance?"

Your image gets fired up inside a xen instance. You can choose to launch with the default kernel (2.6.16 I think), or any number of customer kernel images.

Lately I've been using Ubuntu kernels. I find them on http://thecloudmarket.com/ and pick one that matches more or less what I want, then go to kernel.org to download the appropriate kernel images so I have any modules I need.

I'm not on amazon's list of approved kernel producers, but apparently someone on the ubuntu development team is, and there you go. I'd much prefer to use kernel images produced by the gentoo community, but I haven't the slightest notion of how to interest someone in doing that.

I see cloudmarket is now listing quite a lot of gentoo images, most of which are fairly old.

funny that, we're doing ours at Rackspace. They have Gentoo 10.1 images (it's all Xen), and they're up on "2.6.32.9-rscloud"

They come without portage installed, but that one was easy (wget portage-latest.tar.bz2, tar -xvjf portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /usr)

It's been very nice for us.
_sil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a guide I stumbled upon some time ago. I haven't tried any of that myself so not sure if it's gonna be helpful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: