Grub fails on boot, just keeps beeping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Grub fails on boot, just keeps beeping Reply with quote

Hi,

I installed gentoo last weekend and ran into some trouble when it was time to reboot the system. When I rebbot grub don't seem to load properly. All that comes up is the word GRUB and then the computer starts beeping continiously until I reboot. If I use my bootfloopy that only has grub on it and selects the kernel and stuff from that the system boots and works flawlessly. I guess I messed up my grub installation, but now I can't get it to work. Could someone please help.

My menu.lst:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage (hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage.gentoo.20020421 root=/dev/hdb8

I have tried with title=Gentoo Linux, but that didn't work.
My bootpartition is /dev/hdb1 and grub is installed in the MBR of hdb with the following commands att the grub prompt:

root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)

What went wrong and how do I fix it?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub fails on boot, just keeps beeping Reply with quote

acon wrote:
splashimage (hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Try changing this to:

Code:
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Otherwise, make sure that all your partition information is correct (i.e. root is really on /dev/hdb8, etc.)

acon wrote:
What went wrong and how do I fix it?

Not sure what went wrong, but you can fix it by booting to the gentoo CD and re-doing the grub part of the install process. (you might reference that part of the install doc, just to make sure you get all the steps)
acon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I still can't get it to work.

I have tried with a menu.lst that basically is the one from the installdocs with the partition names updated to reflect my configuration. I have also tried to reinstall grub several times, but it still doesn't work. Here is my new menu.lst:
----------8<-----------
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=My example Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb8
----------8<---------
/boot/bzImage is now a symlink to /boot/bzImage.gentoo.20020421.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong or give me any troubleshooting hints to help me home in on the problem. grub loaded from a floppy can load the kernel and boot gentoo correctly. Could there be something wrong with the first cylinder of the hard disk that
makes grub fail to load? Could my BIOS rename the disks when I boot from the second disk instead of the first? Could there be some sort of lba-trouble? Or am I just an idiot and don't deserve to run gentoo?

I don't have a gentoo CD so I can't reboot from it. I installed from a spare partition of my HD that has since been reused. Is there any difference between running grub from the CD and running it from the gentoo-system?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: