Why drop useflag wpg for inkscape
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Why drop useflag wpg for inkscape Reply with quote

After last sync I recognized that the wpg Use-flag for inkscape was dropped and therefor the following packages would be installed:
Quote:
[ebuild R ] media-gfx/inkscape-0.47 USE="dia inkjar lcms mmx nls postscript spell wmf -debug -gnome (-wpg%)" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libwpg-0.1.3 USE="-doc" 279 kB
[ebuild N ] app-text/libwpd-0.8.14 USE="-doc" 415 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.16 USE="bzip2 python -doc -gnome -gtk" 586 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gconf-2.28.0-r1 USE="policykit -debug -doc -ldap" 1,442 kB
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/orbit-2.14.17 USE="-doc" 0 kB
I changed the ebuild to prevent it. But is there a reason that libwpg is now needed?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-gfx/inkscape/ChangeLog

Code:
  30 Nov 2009; Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@gentoo.org> inkscape-0.47.ebuild,
  metadata.xml:
  Remove automagic RDEPEND against media-libs/libwpg (no switch in
  configure)

I guess this means that, since there's no configure option to disable libwpg support, the build will be broken (strictly speaking, even if it works) if you don't install libwpg.
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the homepage (http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingInkscape) you can read that Inkscape doesn't depend on libwpg, if you want to use this feature you have to install libwpg separately. So, if you have installed libwpg and you emerge USE=-wpg inkscape, wpg functionality will still be available.
That's how I understand it. But I don't need it and I won't install the dependencies.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok wrote:
On the homepage (http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingInkscape) you can read that Inkscape doesn't depend on libwpg, if you want to use this feature you have to install libwpg separately.

Hmm, I haven't been able to find any references to libwpg on their wiki (short of generic install instructions). Any chance you could provide a more specific link or quote the paragraph you're referring to?
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess, he's referring to the this apparent absence of any references to libwpg ;)
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late answer, but I was busy.
As lunar wrote, I think there is no need for libwpg (If you don't need this feature) because it is absence.
The only references I found are one in an ebuild for "Inkscape Subversion on Gentoo Linux" (http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingGentoo) and one in http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingUbuntu#Additional_dependencies:
Quote:
If you want to have optional features you may need to install some more packages:
sudo apt-get install libgnome-vfsmm-2.6-dev libssl-dev libmagick++9-dev libwpg-dev

I am not familiar with writing ebuilds, so I do not understand the value of the Changlog. What is the meaning of "no switch in configure".
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No switch in configure" means, that it is impossible to do "./configure --disable-wpg" (or something like that) to explicitly disable (or enable respectively) the use of libwpg when building inkscape. The build system of inkscape will always automatically determine, whether to use (and thus depend) on libwpg or not, depending on whether libwpg was installed while building inkscape.

This is a such-called "automagic dependency". Tracking such kind of implicit dependencies is nigh impossible, which causes serious problems for source-based distributions like Gentoo. The Gentoo documentation provides a more accurate summary of this topic [1].

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/automagic.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: