How to detect a keylogger
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitethorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: How to detect a keylogger Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just been told by my boss that they think someone might have installed a keylogger on our internal network. I'm supposed to look and see if I can find anything and if I find anything remove it. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to look for one of these things. I've been doing some googling and found a ton of threads of people looking for keyloggers and one about a guy trying to circumvent one. I also found out that the only really good software keyloggers use evdev. Is there a way to check and see if there's something recording or decoding the output from it? We have two computers with a fixed IP for external access (ssh), if I find anything it would probably be on one of them luckily root loggins are not allowed.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to detect a keylogger Reply with quote

main purpose of a keyloggers is: log key presssed and transmit that info so you can see what was pressed.
so i suppose even if i have no idea how to find the keylogger, i suppose i could just watch and look for the "transmit info" phase. You "may force" it to transmit by pushing keys many times (i suppose a keylogger transmit a buffer and not key by key).

wireshark is your friend.

whitethorn wrote:

luckily root loggins are not allowed.

yeah, and you're enough lucky to have no users in the wheel group ?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, plug wireshark in a mirror port switch or in a hub and you will see all the trafic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: