OSS4 sound & suspend/resume
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwaldow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: OSS4 sound & suspend/resume Reply with quote

Hello,

I haven't used Gentoo for 4 years, so please direct me to any resources I need to answer any questions you have.

I have a Fujitsu ST5112 slate tablet, successor to my ST5032. The ST5032 has components to run Kubuntu almost out of the box. Unfortunately, the ST5112 has the Intel HDA sound standard, implemented with a STAC9228 chip. This does not work with ALSA.

I've turned back to Gentoo as I knew I was going to have to assemble support for this machine myself. I've successfully installed the OSS4 sound system, and it works. But OSS4 does not work with suspend/resume - they say it must be switched off and on when resuming.

But Firefox (among others) maintains a link to the sound system, and OSS4 says I must close any such programs before I can switch it off! The idea behind suspend/resume is to keep my workspace as it is.

I am not knowledgeable about sound - I have never needed to be. Stereo out of the headphone jack, switching off the single speaker when I plug it in, and working microphones are all I have needed or care about for myself.

So, a question - is there a layer I can put around OSS4 so that Firefox, et al think the sound is there, and continue when resumed, but I can turn OSS4 off and on when suspending and resuming? Can someone point me towards discussions and howtos for such a component?

Thanks,
Bret
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: