Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does one change profiles from time to time say for KDE inst?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Does one change profiles from time to time say for KDE inst? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a bit new again to Gentoo...first install really in most part of a decade.

I have OS installed.
I have Xorg installed.

I'm now getting ready to try to install KDE.

Reading on the document, it recommends a KDE profile.

I know I need to read through very thoroughly the whole documentation set for Portage and about profiles, etc....they weren't as big a deal really back when I did Gentoo.

This is what I currently have set for my profile:

Code:
# eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde/systemd
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
  [9]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib *
  [10]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
  [11]  hardened/linux/amd64
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [13]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [14]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
  [15]  hardened/linux/amd64/x32
  [16]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64
  [17]  default/linux/uclibc/amd64
  [18]  hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

I guess my question is, and just need this briefly for the KDE install. Does one usually pick a profile and stick with it pretty much forever going forward, or is a profile something to be set depending on your usage that day, like for a KDE install, would I change to the #6 profile, do the install..and change it back, or leave it there...or what?

I'm just a bit confused on the profile thing.

I do fully intend to read through all the documents on portage and profiles, but I kinda quickly need to get KDE installed and start working on a project I have....and would like to get that at least installed and once settled, go back and read all the documents that Gentoo has for me now.

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't change it often, but changing the profile isn't something that causes a lot of harm, just a lot of rebuilds. These will be automatically done with a normal --newuse emerge of @world.

In fact, my normal modus operandi for a new install is to
  • Start off with a non-GUI profile, like default/linux/*/13.0.
  • Get my system bootable, stable, and up-to-date.
  • Change my profile to default/linux/*/13.0/desktop and then follow the X installation guide.
  • Change my profile again to default/linux/*/13.0/desktop/kde and then follow the KDE installation guide.
Regardless of how you get there, default/linux/*/13.0/desktop/kde is where you should normally end up if you're a KDE user (if you're not using systemd).

- John
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no-multilib you have to carry on and add USE flags as needed, I do not see no-multilib KDE profile as available.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Thank you!! Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Well, you don't change it often, but changing the profile isn't something that causes a lot of harm, just a lot of rebuilds. These will be automatically done with a normal --newuse emerge of @world.

In fact, my normal modus operandi for a new install is to
  • Start off with a non-GUI profile, like default/linux/*/13.0.
  • Get my system bootable, stable, and up-to-date.
  • Change my profile to default/linux/*/13.0/desktop and then follow the X installation guide.
  • Change my profile again to default/linux/*/13.0/desktop/kde and then follow the KDE installation guide.
Regardless of how you get there, default/linux/*/13.0/desktop/kde is where you should normally end up if you're a KDE user (if you're not using systemd).

- John

Ok..hey THANK YOU all!!

That clears up a bit of philosophy with the profiles I didn't quite get from just my reading so far.

Very much appreciated!!

cayenne
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be careful on, as Jaglover hinted, trying to switch away from no-multilib profile will usually cause a lot of issues for you. This is specifically for that profile only, in that the no-multilib profile is NOT compatible with other profiles. This is one of the rare times that reinstalling is easier than fixing otherwise, but it is possible (involving a lot of work on your part).

I would suspect, the x32 profile is another profile that is not compatible on switching away from (but can't say for sure, as I haven't seen any posts about that one yet).

Personaly, I think there should be a big disclaimer on using that profile, due to the amount of trouble everyone has when trying to switch away form that profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: