Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
General Wireless Issue (802.11b & 802.11g)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: General Wireless Issue (802.11b & 802.11g) Reply with quote

Maybe I'm crazy but...

it appears that a wireless b router connected by cat5 to a wireless g router slows down all the wireless g clients when a wireless b client connects to the wireless b router

let me try to lay out my network config..
cable > server > router (only for wireless connectivity, no dhcp or gateway).. then off to my other dd-wrt routers (2) that are setup as wireless clients (cus i dont have wireless cards for them).. which is all fine and dandy, until i hook up the dd-wrt (set as b only) into the main router w/ cat5.. my tivo client (b only) will connect to the b only router, and my wireless g clients basically take a crap in their pants.. its noticeable because if im watching a movie on my media center, (streaming from another wireless g client) it just pauses.. until the download on the tivo client is done, then it resumes..
on the routers status page (g router) i can watch it go from 54mbps down to 5.5mbps then once the transfer is done on the tivo client, it shoots back up..

they are setup as two different ssids, two different channels, the only link between them is a cat5 cable.
hopefully what i said makes sense, even if the problem doesnt lol

https://dylix.org/
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get rid of the b only router?
I used to have similar problems using old networking hardware since (I like using old stuff).
10 based T hubs wireless b routers etc.
It has to do with frames and maximum transmission unit (MTU).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: