View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: help needed, change grey background during login Reply with quote

I simply cannot find where or how to remove the ugly grey background that appears during login and before personal background settings takes effect. It must have been with the upgrade to gnome 2.26 that this started to show.

- It is not the checkered xorg background I talk about, that one is removed as usual with the -br setting in X startup.
- With gnome 2.24 something similar showed (although I have the feeling it was another color, but I may be mistaken with that), but if you selected, for instance, black background as local login color, this color stayed on during login. But now it doesn't.
- It doesn't help to set the default background to black.

That is, where do I set the "system default" background?

/pste
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I used gnome - this is what I remember (might be wrong).

in gdm settings, there is an option somewhere for default background colour.
And there is one in wallpaper settings.

One of these should work - if I understand correctly you are talking about the ugly plain screen that comes in between the gdm and the gnome desktop.
pste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help!

Yupp, it is exactly the ugly plain grey screen between gdm and the desktop I'm trying to hunt down! And yes it used to work the way you say, although it seemed a little shaky before as well. For instance, if you'd only set a background image, during login the image would disappear showing the grey screen a while before the desktop, just like it does now. You had to first set the background color - save - and then, if you wanted to, set an image. The background setting would be greyed out but still remembered somehow.

However, a while ago, after an upgrade from gnome 2.24 to 2.26 (but it seems like it might have been due to a co-occuring upgrade of gdm as well...) this doesn't work anymore. I have three gentoo boxes two x86 and one amd64 all running gdm-gnome and all having the same "regression" in behavior...

That is, this grey fill must be a default somewhere, the question is where? To start with, gdm or gnome? I tend to think (due to the former "workaround") that it is in gdm...

I like the screen to always be black when there is nothing relevent on it. That is I've set the gdm background to black (no image), I've set my gnome desktop background to black (and selected it as default). Still when I login the grey ugly screen lingers before the desktop is painted black...

/pste
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: