HFS+ Smashed with Ext3 Accident
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbrt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: HFS+ Smashed with Ext3 Accident Reply with quote

I had a serious accident during the installation of Gentoo Linux on my Mac.

Usually when modifying filesystems, the program that does it, asks for confirmation before the modifications are made. mke2fs did not.

So where I should have typed "mke2fs -j /dev/hdb5", I accidentaly typed "mke2fs -j /dev/hda5". And just when I hit enter I realized my mistake. I had overwritten the partition's existing HFS+ filesystem with Ext3. Luckily it wasn't my primary OS X partition, but still I lost a bunch of important files.

Installing Linux should be a routine for me, but that might just be the problem. I was too self confident, and got careless when typing the commands.

I tried to fix the problem with Apple's Disk Tool and Drive 10, a Micromat's native OS X disk utility. But no luck so far. Disk Tool tells me that "Invalid B-tree node size", and that the partition is still HFS+ formated, but journaled, which I never enabled in OS X.

I can mount the misfortunate partition in Linux, but there's only one empty folder in it: lost+found.

I think there are no utilities that fix this kind of problems. So I'm asking is there any way to fix HFS+ filesystems manually, or is there anything I can do to recover my lost files?

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: