Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xorg-server-1.7 hates nvidia-drivers. <solved> Joy!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: xorg-server-1.7 hates nvidia-drivers. <solved> Joy! Reply with quote

As it says, if you're running ~arch, and you update, and you are running an nvidia card using the nvidia-drivers package, you will have trouble. Apparently, xorg-server-1.7.x and nvidia-drivers don't work together at all. If you've already been hit with this, you will find it hard to get back to xorg-server-1.6.x. It took me a half-hour or so to figure it out and move backwards.

If you have updated, and now find you can't get back to xorg-server-1.6.x, do the following:

1. Add the following to your /etc/portage/package.mask file:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.9
>=x11-libs/libX11-1.3.2
>=x11-libs/libXinerama-1.1
>=x11-proto/xextproto-7.1.1
>=x11-libs/libXext-1.1.1
>=x11-libs/libXi-1.3
>=x11-proto/xcmiscproto-1.2.0
>=x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0
>=x11-proto/bigreqsproto-1.1.0
>=x11-proto/xineramaproto-1.2
>=x11-proto/xextproto-7.1.1
>=x11-proto/fixesproto-4.1.1
>=x11-proto/inputproto-2.0
>=x11-libs/libXinerama-1.1
>=x11-proto/recordproto-1.14
>=x11-libs/libXtst-1.1.0
>=x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.0
>=x11-libs/libXScrnSaver-1.2.0
>=x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.3
>=x11-libs/libXxf86vm-1.1.0
>=x11-apps/xinput-1.5.0

2. Enter this command: emerge -C inputproto fixesproto recordproto scrnsaverproto xf86vidmodeproto bigreqsproto xineramaproto xcmiscproto xextproto libXext libXi libXxf86vm libXtst libXScrnSaver xinput. This will clear these packages. If they aren't cleared, you will get file collisions.

3. Follow that with emerge -av inputproto fixesproto recordproto scrnsaverproto xf86vidmodeproto bigreqsproto xineramaproto xcmiscproto xextproto libXext libXi libXxf86vm libXtst libXScrnSaver xinput.

4. Once that is done, you can then emerge -av xorg-server. That will get you back to xorg-server-1.6.5.

5. Be sure to emerge $(qlist -IC x11-drivers) after you emerge xorg-server.

That should get you back to an xorg-server version that works with the nvidia cards. It worked once, and I used the /etc/portage/package.mask snippet to save bam-bam from the same situation.

If anyone knows when nvidia plans to correct this, please let me, and the rest of us know.

Blessed be!
Pappy

Last edited by pappy_mcfae on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
jimhend~1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problems with xorg-server-1.7.1 conflicting with ati-drivers-9.10 fglrx 8.66.2 [Sep 23 2009]
i have to downgrade back to xorg-1.6.5
thanks for your howto
duryodhana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading to gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r4 and unmasking nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1,
xorg-server-1.7.1 still conficts with nvidia-drivers, so I'm sticking to xorg-server-1.6.5.
BTW I have xorg-drivers-1.7 installed.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the warning

I saw the upgrade this morning, but hadn't gotten around to even trying it.
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hit the same problem with nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1. Now using the drivers after modifying the ebuild and it works fine with xorg-server-1.7.1 (all that was needed was to modify the version of xorg-server the ebuild wants, in my local overlay).
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i4dnf wrote:
I've hit the same problem with nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1. Now using the drivers after modifying the ebuild and it works fine with xorg-server-1.7.1 (all that was needed was to modify the version of xorg-server the ebuild wants, in my local overlay).

I did the same thing and it works really well. :)
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(all that was needed was to modify the version of xorg-server the ebuild wants, in my local overlay).

good news - a little more detail would be nice if you can spare the time
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy the current ebuild in the tree to your local overlay, then change the version in the following line (line 26 in the ebuild) :
Code:
COMMON="<x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.99

to a version higher than 1.7.1 i.e:
Code:
COMMON="<x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.50

then redigest with "repoman fix", remerge nvidia-drivers, then emerge xorg-server then nvidia-drivers, and all x11-drivers you might have installed, as advised by the portage messages at the end of the xorg-server compilation.

HTH
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to unmask the beta drivers, though because the normal ~arch ones won't work!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried ebuild modification. It didn't work. I had to completely backtrack to 1.6.5. That's fine with me. I can't really tell any difference between this machine (Intel GPU, no problems moving on up), and the machines still running the old version.

I'll have to wait until nvidia gets their act together. :(

Blessed be!
Pappy
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a)
it also hates FGLRX

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: resVgaShared
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)

b)
I couldn't go back because libXtst failed to build. Luckily I had packages.

c)
turn on the binpkg feature it really makes life a lot easier.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed beta ebuilds are in the tree but need to be unmasked. The beta drivers have been supporting xorg-server-1.7rc versions. This one ain't really nvidia's fault. 190.42-r1 working fine here.
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: xorg-server-1.7 hates nvidia-drivers...all versions. Reply with quote

Thanks, Pappy! I was *this* close to panicking when I re-emerging xorg-server-1.6.5 and got the error message. I was all like...yeah, I don't need to backup my install before trying the new xorg-server...
Wolfbone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the situation is worse for anyone with an older video card. There is no support in newer nvidia drivers for older cards and I don't suppose Nvidia are ever going to bother fixing the legacy nvidia-drivers versions to work with the new xorg-server. An emerge upgrade does the right thing and skips the xorg-server-1.7.1 upgrade if a legacy nvidia-drivers version is installed, but it also upgrades all the other stuff mentioned in the first post and then xorg-server-1.6.5 will fail to rebuild. There is a bug report here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290679 (although the reporter has marked it INVALID - perhaps not realising that the problem is likely to persist for some people).
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pappy, I had this upgrade tonight.... I saw just in time your How to :P
shallpion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfbone wrote:
I think the situation is worse for anyone with an older video card. There is no support in newer nvidia drivers for older cards and I don't suppose Nvidia are ever going to bother fixing the legacy nvidia-drivers versions to work with the new xorg-server. An emerge upgrade does the right thing and skips the xorg-server-1.7.1 upgrade if a legacy nvidia-drivers version is installed, but it also upgrades all the other stuff mentioned in the first post and then xorg-server-1.6.5 will fail to rebuild. There is a bug report here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290679 (although the reporter has marked it INVALID - perhaps not realising that the problem is likely to persist for some people).

That's my report.... I realized that it would be a problem currently for nvidia drivers--such as me. So I choose to not update temporarily. That is an invalid bug report because yesterday I got some problem of going back to xorg-1.6.5 :( I didn't file a report for the driver issue cause I believe all the developers knew it well... It would affect so many users.... Maybe I will give the official driver a try to manually install it, rather than through portage...
F-0_ICE
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pappy this helped alot. also for fellow fglrx users you may need to run
Code:
eselect opengl set ati
because even after fixing xorg fglrx hung my computer. apparently my opengl was switch to xorg somehow.

at any rate i wonder how long it will take for fglrx to fix this one.....
ATI: RADEON HD 4350
Linksys: WMP54G

True Knowledge is Best Acquired Through Experience.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-0_ICE wrote:
thanks pappy this helped alot. also for fellow fglrx users you may need to run
Code:
eselect opengl set ati
because even after fixing xorg fglrx hung my computer. apparently my opengl was switch to xorg somehow.

at any rate i wonder how long it will take for fglrx to fix this one.....

I guess January.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy,
Thanks for the info- I use ATI (radeon driver), but apparently this got me too. :o However, i can't emerge xorg-server- i get this- any ideas?
Code:
checking for GL... configure: error: Package requirements (glproto >= 1.4.9 gl >= 7.1.0) were not met:                                                                                                   

Package xxf86vm was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xxf86vm.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable                 
Package 'xxf86vm', required by 'gl', not found             

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.                     

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GL_CFLAGS
and GL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.             
See the pkg-config man page for more details.                 

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5/work/xorg-server-1.6.5/config.log
 * ERROR: x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5 failed:                                     
 *   econf failed                                                               
 *                                                                               
 * Call stack:                                                                   
 *     ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_configure                               
 *   environment, line 3558:  Called x-modular_src_configure                     
 *   environment, line 4488:  Called econf '--prefix=/usr' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--disable-ipv6' '--disable-dmx' '--disable-kdrive' '--disable-tslib' '--disable-xcalibrate' '--enable-xvfb' '--enable-xnest' '--enable-record' '--enable-xfree86-utils' '--enable-install-libxf86config' '--enable-dri' '--enable-dri2' '--enable-glx' '--enable-xorg' '--enable-glx-tls' '--enable-config-hal' '--sysconfdir=/etc/X11' '--localstatedir=/var' '--enable-install-setuid' '--with-fontdir=/usr/share/fonts' '--with-xkb-output=/var/lib/xkb' '--without-dtrace' '--disable-xsdl'                                           
 *     ebuild.sh, line  545:  Called die                                                             
 * The specific snippet of code:                                                                     
 *                      die "econf failed"                                                           
 *                                                                                                   
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5',             
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5'.               
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5/temp/environment'.                                                                                             
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5/work/xorg-server-1.6.5'                           

>>> Failed to emerge x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.5,

I did get my system to boot using the vesa driver with xorg-server-1.7.1, but i just removed it per your method posted above, and can't get back to 1.6.5 or 1.6.4. :? I remerged glproto-1.4.10, but it didn't help. xxf86vm doesn't seem to be on my system.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the how-to above. You have to make sure you do it as I've got it laid out. Otherwise, you will run into compilation errors, file collisions, and so forth. You may have to search for further packages as well.

Blessed be!
Pappy
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Pappy! :D
I did it exactly as described, but it didn't work. Had no collisions or other compile problems, except xorg-server-1.6.5.
I've undone it and went back to 1.7.1 with the other updated packages, and rebuilt all x11-drivers. I'm trying radeonhd as my driver instead of radeon, but I don't expect it to work. BTW, this is a ~x86 qt-4.6/kde-live system, which I just did a complete @world update on, but NOT qt and kde-live yet. Would that make a difference with the xorg problem I'm having?

EDIT: Hmmmm weird- I changed to the radeonhd driver in xorg.conf, and restarted X. Seems to work, although i had to adjust my display settings back to my normal 1280x1024@75. I hope it survives a reboot. :roll:

EDIT2: OK- X survived a reboot- I got back into kde-live, but my display settings didn't survive. It always reverts to 1280x1024@85 or 1600x1200 Guess a qt/kde-live rebuild is next. This display settings randomly problem happens all the time with kde-live or kde-4.x.x, on several distros. No amount of xorg.conf tweaking or no xorg.conf at all seems to reliably fix it, for months now. :?
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
jormaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got hit with this on my amd64 desktop and thanks to Pappy got back fairly easy. Before reverting back i tried to install nvidia-drivers from local repository as instructed above,got trough install but X server used xorg GLX-extension instead of Nvidia so i gave up and reverted.

Today i wanted to try if it works on my x86 laptop and lo and behold, i got x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.1 and x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1 running without a hitch.

So in summary:

x86_64 with Geforce 260 GTX + x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.1 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1 don't run for me

but

x86 with Geforce 8600M GT x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.1 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1 works

Last edited by jormaa on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this thread yesterday and expected some problems, I always had nvidia-drivers unmasked and upgrade went as usual smoothly, just that I forgot to reinstall input drivers, but that is always required when version of server changes so no big deal, and I don't see xorg-server dep in 190.42 ebuilds, only in 190.40 and earlier versions, so with unmasked drivers everything works for me.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy,

You might want to update your howto to liberally sprinkle in the --oneshot option. Your instructions turn an awful lot of things that should just be dependencies into installed packages in the world file.

- John
webway
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get xorg 1.7 to work with the xorg nv driver either. I recompiled it, along with the rest of x11-drivers/ as part of the upgrade and X segfaulted in nv every time I started it. I had to revert back to 1.6.5 where all is working fine again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: