LVM RAID 1 for root
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vprisivko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: LVM RAID 1 for root Reply with quote

I have LVM RAID 1 (not mdadm RAID 1, but exactly LVM2 RAID 1) for my root partition. I would like to make my system boot without either of the HDDs where the underlying PVs of the root LVM partition reside.

The kernel launch line in grub.cfg (automatically generated by GRUB2) looks like:

Code:
linux   /kernel-genkernel-x86-3.11.7-hardened-r1-3 root=/dev/mapper/vg-root ro dolvm

It looks perfectly with both disks enabled and the system is HDD fault-tolerant runtime, i.e. it works properly if either of HDDs are down during runtime.

However, if I try to boot without one of HDDs, I am getting

Code:
Refusing activation of partial LV root. Use --partial to override.

during boot and kernel panic. From one side it seems reasonable since it's not a normal behavior for lvm to launch when one of PV is absent. However, it's absolutely necessary in order to boot server. The potential workaround I can think of is adding some additional option to kernel launch line.

Do you know how to make the LVM RAID 1 work for root partition when on of HDDs does not work?
spike88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking its because when you make the group with pvcreate its based off of the two harddrives working together to form one group. I may not be right on this one just my idea
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: LVM RAID 1 for root Reply with quote

vprisivko wrote:

Refusing activation of partial LV root. Use --partial to override.

I bet you have to modify lvm's config file and then rebuild your initramfs. Unless you want to modify initramfs manualy (which will definitely work, until next kernel rebuild)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: