Maintaining Gentoo??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Maintaining Gentoo?? Reply with quote

I'm mainly asking for some ideas here...

I've been using the same Gentoo install for a long time now. Actually, only a little over a year, I think. Although for the most part, I'm really happy with Gentoo... I remember my computer being a lot faster when I first installed gentoo. It seems like maybe I might have a leak in my ram somehow. I only have 1GB RAM and I NEED to upgrade. Still, I remember when it was using A LOT less ram. And I've not done a whole lot of tweaking except for the usual updates and such. I do have the as-needed LD-Flag, and I have a customized zen-sources kernel which I built "from seed." Also, I don't use ~x86 except when I need to... like if the stable version does not install, or I'm using compiz, or openrc, and the like.

So, besides the usual things that most of us all know, what are some things to do to give gentoo continuous tlc? Its late and I'm not thinking of a whole lot of specifics. Maybe one thing would be to defragment my EXT4 partition??

I'd be tempted to try out compcache but it just sounds odd to use ram as swap.

Thanks a lot,
~Shawn
bombcar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using a GUI, you're using lots of RAM. Newer versions of GUI programs almost always use more RAM, and something like compiz, etc will want gobs.

I'd recommend upgrading to the maximum amount of RAM your system can take, or at least 2GB. Even my servers have that much these days.

Check the output of free to see how much swap you're using:

Code:
# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        996164     878240     117924          0     418816     257788
-/+ buffers/cache:     201636     794528
Swap:       506512       7356     499156

If the amount of "used" swap is greater than the amount of buffers/cached, you need more RAM.
Ahenobarbi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested take a look at free ( to check if it's problem with RAM). Also try rc-status to see if you have any unneeded services and top/htop to see whats using most RAM.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the advice of running top to see what's eating away your ram, i have a few current gentoo systems < 512 megs of ram that are still snappy and have been constantly running for 2-3 years. Maybe try out lighter window managers like XFCE or fluxbox? (personally, XFCE is my favorite) It's been a while since I've used it but i remember kde/gnome having a lot it likes to run by default, and it's probably accumulated more over the years.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintaining Gentoo?? Reply with quote

belikeyeshua wrote:
So, besides the usual things that most of us all know, what are some things to do to give gentoo continuous tlc? Its late and I'm not thinking of a whole lot of specifics. Maybe one thing would be to defragment my EXT4 partition??

emerge tmpwatch and make sure you configure it (edit it in the cron directory). That'll at least help cleanup the FS a bit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: