AMD / nVidia 2.4.19 kernel patch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: AMD / nVidia 2.4.19 kernel patch Reply with quote

I am experiencing stability problems when I am working with the nvidia driver module loaded, I get konqueror bailing randomly, often in periods of inactivity and compiles often fail unless I drop to the console and rmmod the module.

Someone mentioned that a big fuss had been made on the kernel mailing lists and AMD had supplied a patch. Anyone know where I can get it? Just for once, google was useless. :(
jabuka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiousity, what are your system specs? cpu, motherboard, graphics card, etc...

mark
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been using gentoo since april...i first was running an amd 760 mainboard...epox 8k7a.....now i am using a via kt266a board also epox 8kha+...i ahve upgraded cpu's 3 times and am now running a 2200+ tbred cpu with a geforce 4 ti 4600...i have had no issues on either system...or when i was running a geforce 3...so dont jump to conclusions about the cause of your instability just yet.
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs:

Athlon XP 2100+ (Palomino)
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333)
512MB RAM
20GB Maxtor HD
GeForce 2 MX400

gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r7 low latency kernel
XFS filesystems (moving to ext3 soon so I can have preempt back)
nvidia drivers

The gfx card is a stand in until the geforce 4 Ti4400s drop in price a little.

Another possibility for the konq crashes occured to me last night, they were compiled using a preemptable kernal on XFS, and while the compile finished successfully (unlike many others I tried with that kernel) it may not have been 100% correct, and hence recent segfaults. I am now using KDE3.0.2, compiled with a non-preemptable kernel, so we will see if they persist.

However, that fact remains that ebuilds often fail randomly when the NVdriver module is loaded, but never when it is not. :(
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never experienced such compile problems, I suspect that nvdriver locked my machine few times while playing unreal tournament. Complete lock with sound looping and not being able to login from internal network. But it happens very rarely. I have TB900, k7s5a, geforce 2mx, 256ram, 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 with preemption patch. I think I had such crash with non preemptible kernel version also.
Pitr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could this be related to the now famous mem=nopentium bug relating to some AMD chips ?
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitr wrote:
could this be related to the now famous mem=nopentium bug relating to some AMD chips ?

I don't think so, I don't see the fully freezes described by all those who have encountered it. The freezes I did see I solved by removing preemption from my kernel, it was conflicting with my XFS filesystems.

Now I am in the process of rebuilding my system on an ext3 partion with preemption support, because on my desktop response is more important than throughput. It occured to me that my system tools were built on the rather wobbly platform that is XFS+preempt, so perhaps that's where the problem lies, hence rebuilding from scratch on ext3.
Felice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'm running the A7V133 with a GEforce2MX and had numerous stability problems until I removed the framebuffer from my kernel. Apparently the NVdriver doesn't play nicely with the kernel framebuffer.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have framebuffer enabled...i dont think the two should be a problem with each other...i run the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel and ext3 on linux software raid 0.... i had tried xfs and the performance was miserable...rieserfs gave up a little better performance but then one day blewup after a power outage....but ext3 has been very stable and fast ....i would like to try the gentoo kernel but it always seemed to give me issues with something in my setup ......so i am just gonna stick to the linus kernel
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felice wrote:
I 'm running the A7V133 with a GEforce2MX and had numerous stability problems until I removed the framebuffer from my kernel. Apparently the NVdriver doesn't play nicely with the kernel framebuffer.

I will bear that in mind. I don't currently have FB support, but it is on my "to try" list...
amigadave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A framebuffer works fine, as long as you select the VESA framebuffer driver and not the nVidia framebuffer driver. It works great for me :D
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amigadave wrote:
A framebuffer works fine, as long as you select the VESA framebuffer driver and not the nVidia framebuffer driver. It works great for me :D

OK, I'll do that, but does that not remove the hw acceleration available from the framebuffer (which is the reason I want to try it).

In which case, could I use the nVidia fb driver if I just used the generic "nv" display driver? Or would that also defeat the object?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: