Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The infamous DEVFS error and no NIC after reboot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowbatt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: The infamous DEVFS error and no NIC after reboot. Reply with quote

Ok so this DEVFS error. So I rebuilt the kernel about 3 times now :). I've read another post that says I need to remount the boot partition and the cp the bzImage file over. I did that but in the wrong order. I coppied then remouted. So tonight when I get home I will try that in the correct order. One question I have before I do this. When add /dev file system. I get options to mount on boot. do I want to add that to the kernel? also when the kernel is done compiling does it say done or jsut kinda quit and go back to a prompt.

Also my Nic module will not load at boot. It loads fine after boot if I do a modprob 3c59x and then a dhcpd eth0 it come up fine. the modules is set to modules.autoload as 3c59x and seems to be everyelse it needs to be. Anyone have any idea's. the second part is not that big of a deal. I just don't like seeing !! errors on load :)
Information is pure. Take a knife, for example. You can use it to cut up vegetables, butter your bread, etc. Or you can use it as a weapon. The way in which information exists in its many forms leaves for us the decision how to use it. - Maynard -TOOL
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, mount /boot and then copy in your new kernel. Also, don't tell the kernel to mount on boot -- the Gentoo init scripts handle that. And yes, a kernel compile drops you to a prompt once it's done.

As far as the NIC goes, do you have net.eth0 starting on boot? (rc-update add net.eth0 boot)
lowbatt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
Right, mount /boot and then copy in your new kernel. Also, don't tell the kernel to mount on boot -- the Gentoo init scripts handle that. And yes, a kernel compile drops you to a prompt once it's done.

As far as the NIC goes, do you have net.eth0 starting on boot? (rc-update add net.eth0 boot)

yea I did the rc-update and it said everything is ok. It confuses me. I'll see how the kernel goes. It should work this last time :) also what do you think would be the average compile time on a p3 933 with 256 mb rdram? it doesnt seem to take too long
Information is pure. Take a knife, for example. You can use it to cut up vegetables, butter your bread, etc. Or you can use it as a weapon. The way in which information exists in its many forms leaves for us the decision how to use it. - Maynard -TOOL
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess around 10-15 minutes, but it depends on what else you're doing and the options you've selected.
lowbatt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i was just worried it wasn't taking long enough :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: