No sound with phonon in KDE 4.3.1 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: No sound with phonon in KDE 4.3.1 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having a hard time getting sound to work with phonon i KDE 4.3.1, or more specifically with JuK and Amarok which I presume is using phonon. The sound works fine in mplayer, VLC and in games, so it seems like phonon is the trouble here. When I go to systemsettings -> multimedia I don't hear anything when I try to test the sound, regardless of what output or backend I use. There are no errors or warnings as I can see, and it just seems like the sound is muted.

The strange part is that I actually had sound when testing in systemsettings -> multimedia a couple of weeks ago when trying to get amarok to work. Amarok still couldn't produce any sound (or warnings), so I unmerged it and emerged JuK. It was at this point that sound disappeared with phonon, and I haven't been able to get it back.

This is what I've tried so far without any luck:

- Doublechecked that I'm in the audio group
- Checked the mixer-levels in kmix and alsamixer
- Tried both xine and gstreamer backend
- Re-emerged phonon with +xine -gstreamer useflag
- Tried to "rm home/user/.kde4/cache/libphonon/hardwaredatabase && kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental"
- Searched through bugzillas and forums

My soundmodules is compiled in the kernel and has worked flawlessly for years, and I'm hesitant to compile them as modules for several reasons, one of them beeing that everything works great except for programs using phonon, so I'm guessing that compiling as modules wont solve anything.

Any help would really be appriciated!

Edit: I finally figured it out! I had to create the following in .asoundrc, which enabled the "secret" output in kmix/alsamixer and in systemsettings.

pcm.softvolPhonon {
type softvol
slave.pcm "default:CARD=0"
control {
name "Phonon"
card 0
}
min_dB -51.0
max_dB 0.0
resolution 100
hint {
show on