Installing viewvc using webapp-config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwdonal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Installing viewvc using webapp-config Reply with quote

Okay, so I must be doing something entirely wrong here. I am trying to install viewvc on my gentoo box using the webapp-config tool and am having zero success. This is the first time I have used the webapp-config tool so I think I'm just not understanding how this is supposed to work.

I currently have apache installed and running. I can access my website locally and remotely. I also had an older version of viewvc working great then I decided to upgrade to the newest version of viewvc (which was apparently a mistake - lol).

Anyways, I run the following (note all of the following commands were run as root):

Code:
emerge viewvc

And it spits out the following:

Code:
 * The 'vhosts' USE flag is switched ON
 * This means that Portage will not automatically run webapp-config to
 * complete the installation.
 * To install viewvc-1.1.1 into a virtual host, run the following command:
 *     webapp-config -I -h <host> -d viewvc viewvc 1.1.1

Okey-doke, I'll just do what it tells me so I run the following:

Code:
webapp-config -I -h localhost -d viewvc viewvc 1.1.1

Note that my webserver docs are located in /var/www/locahost/ and there was no viewvc folder in that directory before I ran webapp-config. After I run the above command I get the following output:

Code:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/WebappConfig/content.py:27: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5, re, os, os.path
*   Creating required directories
*   Linking in required files
*     This can take several minutes for larger apps
*   Files and directories installed
* Install completed - success

So I think OK great everything looks good to go. So I configure the /var/www/localhost/conf/viewvc.conf file with my specific options and I try to point my browser to http://localhost/viewvc/ but I get 404 not found.

So I check the new /var/www/localhost/viewvc/ directory and there is nothing in there except the following:

Code:

terranova ~ # ls /var/www/localhost/htdocs/viewvc/
total 16K
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Sep 17 06:15 ./
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4.0K Sep 17 06:15 ../
-rw-------  1 root root  305 Sep 17 06:15 .webapp
-rw-------  1 root root  653 Sep 17 06:15 .webapp-viewvc-1.1.1

Is it just me or should there be a whole lot more files in there?? Lol. Or some symlinks pointing to some other files...or _something_, anything. Haha. I must be missing something here. I think it is my complete lack of experience with the webapp-config tool. Can someone please help me out?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! :)
jwdonal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: no help? Reply with quote

Is there really no one that can help me on this? :(
jwdonal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Nevermind Reply with quote

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. It was a problem with my apache httpd.conf configuration. Oh, and the answer is "no" there are _not_ supposed to be any additional files in /var/www/locahost/htdocs/viewvc/ because that is not how viewvc works. Viewvc uses CGI scripts and you essentially just need to tell Apache to execute the viewvc.cgi file whenever the user attempts to access http://localhost/viewvc/. I did it like this:

Code:
ScriptAlias /viewvc /usr/share/webapps/viewvc/1.0.9/bin/cgi/viewvc.cgi

The above line is what was messed up in my Apache config (was pointed to the wrong destination directory and file). There are a bunch of other Apache configs that you need in order to run CGI scripts, but the above line is the reason why no other files are required in /var/www/locahost/htdocs/viewvc/. In fact, you don't even need a /var/www/locahost/htdocs/viewvc/ directory at all! :P

Pz!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: