[SOLVED] Installing Apache
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Installing Apache Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

I am VERY new at gentoo and I am sure this is something easy to do if I am pointed to the right direction. I have a box at home that I would like to install Apache on so I may have a PERSONAL web server for my self and things such as viewing sites that I make and stuff like that and for other things as well.

What I want to know is how to I install apache, it seems like it does when I do emerge apache but then how do I configure it and set it to the way I want it to be so it can work, thank you in advance for all your replies!

Last edited by mvelez215 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer lighttpd for something like that, but hopefully this will be of use to you.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
I'd prefer lighttpd for something like that, but hopefully this will be of use to you.

I really wanted to use apache cause I have used it before so I know how to use it BUT I have never used it in linux till now that 1. I am now suing linux as my main OS and I work for a hosting company that uses nothing but Linux and Apache but I will give this a shot, thank you for your help!
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge apache, clean up the config (should default close to what you want, with webroot in /var/www/localhost/htdocs iirc), use the documentation/wiki if you need more info (will help to read), and make sure it's started.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
emerge apache, clean up the config (should default close to what you want, with webroot in /var/www/localhost/htdocs iirc), use the documentation/wiki if you need more info (will help to read), and make sure it's started.

I am sorry for all the questions as I said I am very new to Gentoo or linux it self. How would I "clean" up the config file and how do I know it is started? I will do emerge apache and see what happenes, thank you very much.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvelez215 wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

I am sorry for all the questions as I said I am very new to Gentoo or linux it self. How would I "clean" up the config file and how do I know it is started? I will do emerge apache and see what happenes, thank you very much.
by "clean up", I mean, make sure it is listening on the right interfaces and stuff like that - google will help you find the setup documentation.

/etc/init.d/apache2 start
rc-update add apache2 default

If you don't know vaguely what those mean, re-read the manual, especially the part at the end.

mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
mvelez215 wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

by "clean up", I mean, make sure it is listening on the right interfaces and stuff like that - google will help you find the setup documentation.

If you don't know vaguely what those mean, re-read the manual, especially the part at the end.

Thank you very much for your help I will try this as soon as I can and let you know the outcome.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvelez215 wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:
mvelez215 wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

Thank you very much for your help I will try this as soon as I can and let you know the outcome.

I have done everything that you told me I think. Apache is running. MySQL is running and PHP is running but when I try to go to my IP or the dyndns address I have set up for it, I get a failed to connect error. Is there something else I can check or maybe something I am missing here?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your Listen statement covers everything you want it to... probably Listen *:80

mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
make sure your Listen statement covers everything you want it to... probably Listen *:80

It is set to port 80 Shold I add other ports such as 8080 and try and use that? Maybe port 80 is being blocked?
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I have it.

###
### IP Address/Port
###
BindAddress *
Listen 80
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to access it via local IP address or your external IP address? If you're trying via your external IP (aka. internet IP) then your firewall/router may be blocking your access. Assuming you have a firewall or router of course. You'd need to setup port forwarding if that were the case.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I guess I would have too because the IP address is the one I got when I got my connection here. How can I do this in linux (Gentoo)
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvelez215 wrote:
Yea I guess I would have too because the IP address is the one I got when I got my connection here. How can I do this in linux (Gentoo)

Well I guess first I'd need to know if you have a router/firewall setup at home or not. Assuming you do, I would suggest looking on http://portforward.com/ to figure out how to go about forwarding your ports. It should be a relatively painless process.
Otherwise you could always try to access your webserver via internal/LAN IP, like http://192.168.0.100 or such.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a cable modem from comcast unless it comes with a built-in firewall or they are blocking it
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvelez215 wrote:
It is just a cable modem from comcast unless it comes with a built-in firewall or they are blocking it

I'm not really sure what to tell you then as that could mean several things. Some cable modems come with built-in routing functions and others don't, allowing only 1-2 PC's to connect to the internet at a time. The PortForward site I linked you to before might have your cable modem listed in their database though, so you may give still give it a try. Otherwise I'd suggest Googling around to see if you can find any documentation on your cable modem that might suggest it does have a built-in router and, if you do find said documentation, how to go about accessing its configuration so that you can forward the port for Apache.
mvelez215
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: [solved] Reply with quote

I got it all working now! Thank you everyone for all your help you guys are great!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: