Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Booting a kernel image from QEMU: grub error 17?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DayOldPorridge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Booting a kernel image from QEMU: grub error 17? Reply with quote

So, I'm trying to boot a kernel image with QEMU, but whenever I get to the GRUB command prompt and try to do "kernel /home/user/kernel/kernel.bin" it gives me this error:

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

I'm still a bit of a noob with QEMU, and kernels in general. Could someone point me in the right direction or tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks.
DayOldPorridge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Qemu, you could just use the -kernel option to skip the bootloader entirely. Grub typically needs a disk specification, and specifying a fully qualified Linux path will not work. Your problem is a basic misunderstanding of how Grub works, and is independent of your use of Qemu or what Grub would be loading. The correct command will be something like (hdX,Y)/vmlinuz, but I cannot pick exact values for X and Y without knowing more about the topology of your virtual disk. If you can boot the guest into a LiveCD, showing us the partition table and fstab would be helpful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: