[solved] Encrypted root password problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creiss
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: [solved] Encrypted root password problem Reply with quote

Hey all!

I am trying to setting up a Notebook with encrypted root. I set up a luks device (cryptsetup ...) with a minimal installation cd (amd64). I then installed gentoo on /dev/mapper/encroot according to manual. Installed grub and all the jiggles.
After which I unmounted and closed the luks device again, and reopened (and closed it again) just to be sure. It works.

Once the system boots on its own (w/o cd) it boots from /boot (unencrypted, initramfs done by genkernel --luks all) up to the point of "enter luks passphrase". When I enter the passphrase it says "no keys available with this passphrase". I tripple checked it, even tried an easy password without any character goodness (z/y changed from keyboard layout etc) -- still no joy.

Booted back into the installation cd - well, its decrypting the luks device there. So I guess I am missing a port, a lib, or anything.

Any pointer is greatly appreciated.
My head hurts.

Ouch.

-Chris.
Registered Linux User #38359 (http://counter.li.org)

Last edited by creiss on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
andkit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Encrypted root password problem Reply with quote

creiss wrote:

Booted back into the installation cd - well, its decrypting the luks device there. So I guess I am missing a port, a lib, or anything.

Any pointer is greatly appreciated.
My head hurts.

Ouch.

-Chris.

Have you checked that the kernel your /boot partition has the required options built in (cipher, hash algorithm etc.)? It's probably best checked by looking at the contents of /proc/crypto using the debugshell of the ramdisk. You could also try opening your crypt-device with cryptsetup manually from there and see if that works.
creiss
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.

I just recompiled everything (new use flags) and now it works. Please dont ask me why.
I'm glad tho.

Thanks!
-Chris
Registered Linux User #38359 (http://counter.li.org)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: