X on a Lombard (bronze/333mhz)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanCD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: X on a Lombard (bronze/333mhz) Reply with quote

Despite laborious google searching and banging of head against various walls, I cannot get XFree to work correctly on my powerbook.
I emerged XFree and Gnome, then ran Xeasyconfig, but things aren't working. When I use the fbdev colors in X are inverted in strange ways and certain layers are pixellated and noisy to the point of being illegible. When I use the ati driver the screen either immobile blue vertical stripes appear on screen or the monitor goes blank and X dies. Depending on what options I have enabled in XF86Config-4 sometimes the screen becomes too dim to read after X quits, and I’m forced to reboot.
After playing around with the config file I tried about every monitor sync on the internet with even a vague association with a powerbook lombard (333mhz, by the way), and came across this (site is down to protest something, but the google cache hopefully works) and compiled a mach64 specific XFree and kernel modules. Things were no better and only a little different after doing this, however.
I’ve got a copy of my XF86Config-4 file here and a copy of the XFree86.0.log here .
Thanks,
Ryan
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is CONFIG_FB_ATY and CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT enabled in your kernel?

The card is a ATI Rage Pro and to get anykind of accelerated graphics you would need to use the framebuffer device, and as I remember (I had a machine with a similar graphics card) you need to use a DefaultDepth of 15 rather than 16 (this was at one point a bug, not sure if it was ever fixed).

Also from the XF86Config is see you are loading dri, you may not have any success with dri as you only have 8mb VRAM, so it may be best to disable this (and glx, GLcore) in your config.
ryanCD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, seems to work.

I was using another kernel driver, and had a bunch of extranious stuff installed, i.e. the macintosh platnum and valkyri drivers, when I removed those and switched to the included ati frame buffer driver everything worked. 16 bit color still doesn't work btw.

Well, I guess I'm going to try and get the sound driver working now.

-Ryan
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanCD wrote:
Thanks, seems to work.

I was using another kernel driver, and had a bunch of extranious stuff installed, i.e. the macintosh platnum and valkyri drivers, when I removed those and switched to the included ati frame buffer driver everything worked. 16 bit color still doesn't work btw.

humm .. it should, what warrnings are given in the log? Does the log give any clue to where it dies?

Code:
egrep "^\(WW\)" /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: