Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ati radeon 3650 of w500 should use fglrx or open source ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterloo2005
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: ati radeon 3650 of w500 should use fglrx or open source ? Reply with quote

Should ati radeon 3650 of w500 use fglrx or open source driver?

I use fglrx. my gentoo often hangs in gnome-light. I don't know if it have something with fglrx.

thanks
meadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you experience problems with fglrx I'd suggest to use the open source driver. AMD has published the specifications for its grapic cards, so the FOSS driver will improve quickly.
E001754
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna play 3D games, you can't avoid fglrx.
If you just stick with video playback and 2D desktop, then go for open-source drivers. They get better all the time and are in a sufficient state for this purpose.
If your 3650 card is using a chip codename RV500 or less, then you have to stick with fglrx 9.3, since ATI dropped support for <=R500 on fglrx>=9.4.
However, for RV500 or older cards, I believe the open-source stack is rather good, and even goes 3D.
I've read somewhere, that the most powerfull card fully supported by open-source stack is the Radeon X1950X. Newer cards are more or less supported on 3D.

You can also check www.phoronix.com, where is posted since today an article about performance between open-source and fglrx.

Is your 3650 a PCI or an AGP card ?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E001754 wrote:
If you wanna play 3D games, you can't avoid fglrx.
If you just stick with video playback and 2D desktop, then go for open-source drivers. They get better all the time and are in a sufficient state for this purpose.
If your 3650 card is using a chip codename RV500 or less, then you have to stick with fglrx 9.3, since ATI dropped support for <=R500 on fglrx>=9.4.
However, for RV500 or older cards, I believe the open-source stack is rather good, and even goes 3D.
I've read somewhere, that the most powerfull card fully supported by open-source stack is the Radeon X1950X. Newer cards are more or less supported on 3D.

You can also check www.phoronix.com, where is posted since today an article about performance between open-source and fglrx.

Is your 3650 a PCI or an AGP card ?

3650 is r6xx (mine is 3450 and it's r620), with the svn version of the open source 3d games are playable, for example oa works great, nexuiz less better
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: