View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Good afternoon Reply with quote

Hello and good afternoon,

I would like to introduce myself to this community. I'm a vivid Windows user and like my XP installation and the operating system. However, I always wanted to use Linux as I thought that it would be good to know how to use it for work and a coolnes factor (being able to decide what's being installed and have a tailored system). Unfortunately Suse 6.1 was too comlicated for me and the soundcard never really worked. Even after spening 9hrs on the problem.

So years back I used Ubuntu 7.04 and it performed pretty well. However for some reason I don't like Ubuntu and so I tried Debian. Much better (don't know why tho) and installed that on my machines. Unfortunately my wireless wasn't working and the power management wasn't as good as under Windows so it flew off the drive. I definitely wanted to use my laptop and desktop machine for my daily work so I couldn't spend much time configuring the system.

Now things have changed a bit. I simply installed Gentoo in a virtual machine and pretty amazingly it works despite me being a noob when it comes to command line action. However since I started with the installation 2 days ago I simply have the feeling that everything just comes together.

It's very well explained and in contrary to other distributions there is not this feeling off 3,000 different opinions how to do this or that. This confused me when I started. Just compile a kernel and build a module. I didn't understand a word.

So I thought why not be up for a challenge? So this is my Gentoo way from now on and I hope it will be brilliant. To see the progress of the installation is so much more thrilling than staring at a progress bar :)

Let's hope that te real installation on my T60 will be good :)

I'm up for it!
ilovebeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome bloke, i hope you'll grow to love linux & gentoo. one thing you can be assured of is... if you need help... here is where you'll get it. good people here.
a vivid windows user? are you bright pink? anyway, welcome.
ilb
jongeek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is a great choice for running Linux, and I'm happy you're intrepid enough to brave these waters.

ilb is right, these forums are a treasure trove of info on running and tweaking Gentoo. Just ask, the friendly folks here will be glad to help out.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the jungle :)

A few things that may help you in your gentoo journey - mainly, understanding what it is, what you'll need to expect, etc:

-the absolute most flexible 'distro' out there. I put that in quotes because, as one other person put it, with gentoo you're realistically building your own distro, from scratch, installing only the packages you need/want. On that same token, you'll find all sorts of goodies in portage that you might not find with other distros.

-the documentation is second to none. I've used and do use other distros for certain things, and as I browse the other forums quite often I'll find people who complain about their distro not documenting something, so they follow the gentoo doc; and of course i help them as i would help someone who was using gentoo, usually with very similar instructions on what they've missed

-gentoo is not a turnkey distro. expect to put in some work, expect to do a bit of reading, and expect to do a bit of fine-tuning.

The end result is a very light, very lean, very fine-tuned linux installation, that requires very little updating or ongoing maintenance, and never requires a complete reinstall barring hardware failure or hardware reallocation.

I have been hooked since '04. Since then I have gotten a good dozen people hooked, from the linux newbie who only ever tinkered with Red Hat 7.3 way back in the day, to the hardcore OpenBSD user.

I can only say that...you will no doubt become frustrated at some point with gentoo requiring you put in more work and reading than other distros, BUT, trust me/us that the end result will be well worth it. Stick with us for a bit, be patient, and you will become an addict too :)
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks guys.

It's unbelievable how good the documentation is. I was looking for a power management profile. Not even Ubuntu's documentation is nearly as good as the one from Gentoo! And it's easy to understand and most importantly it simply works what's written down by those guys!

Although I don't understand much yet what I'm typing I'm sure I'll learn quickly and for a long time a Linux distribution keeps me happy. Can't believe it myself to be honest! :) One question I've to ask I'm afraid.

Does anyone have a useful link for the integration of a WLAN card? My T60s card isn't recognised and only bluetooth seems to work. It's an INtel AGN card. Will run lspüci later on to see if I can get more information.

I'm only asking for a documentation not a specific solution. At least I want to learn myself :) Your help is appreciated.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crisdean wrote:
Hi and thanks guys.

It's unbelievable how good the documentation is. I was looking for a power management profile. Not even Ubuntu's documentation is nearly as good as the one from Gentoo! And it's easy to understand and most importantly it simply works what's written down by those guys!

Although I don't understand much yet what I'm typing I'm sure I'll learn quickly and for a long time a Linux distribution keeps me happy. Can't believe it myself to be honest! :)

Welcome :) .

Gentoo *is* challenging but if you, like me, are ready to put a tremendous effort in trying to understand how things work, you'll never regret it because, so far, Gentoo has, for me, been the only one distribution to be smart enough to manage packages and dependencies (without going by hand all the way down) and manual enough to make you *see* how it works.

Gentoo is particular in that you must take your time to understand and to proceed with the steps that are required, regardless of the distribution. Other distributions tend to hinder that as a consequence because of the ease of use, mostly. Gentoo handbook puts you through all the required steps to start to understand how GNU/Linux works, which you have to figure out by yourself with binary distributions.

Most of all Gentoo gives you *total* control over what you do. *You* decide what to do with your system, packages and dependencies, which is not true with binary distributions since the developers have had to make choices as to how and what to link. This choice is up to you with Gentoo but you have great places to look at in case you need advices. I mean Gentoo forums, sure, but also Gentoo web site and the huge list of FAQs.

It'll help if you already have developer knowledge. But don't worry if you don't. It'll ease your task to understand why such package doesn't compile or why packages that were compiled with GCC version A do not link when compiled with GCC version B (this is a source based distribution, eh ;) ) but these forums are the greatest source of help.

crisdean wrote:
One question I've to ask I'm afraid.

Does anyone have a useful link for the integration of a WLAN card? My T60s card isn't recognised and only bluetooth seems to work. It's an INtel AGN card. Will run lspüci later on to see if I can get more information.

I'm only asking for a documentation not a specific solution. At least I want to learn myself :) Your help is appreciated.

To the contrary of Windows, GNU/Linux uses chipsets as a reference, not brands. So what's that for a card? Please post lspci output and we'll be able to give you a hint. Currently Gentoo supports Intel AGN 5100 and 5300. I have the former in my laptop, for example.
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Thanks for your encouraging post.

Well I don't know what my mistake is but lspci isn't installed on my system and
Code:
emerge lspci
doesn't work. I currently have a couple of problems and need to sort them first. In order to use KDE I decided to gofor the meta package. Installed it with
Code:
emerge kde-meta
and went shopping. After coming back I read 7 failure lines or so and the xserver won't start kde (no xorg.conf and trouble configuring one - I don't really like the xserver but I need KDE :D ) So I currently put my windows disk in as I have to do some stuff with it as well before moving back to Gentoo.

Can someone let me know why lspci can't be installed by emerge? It says that there are no needs (similar output) for ebuilds for lspci. I'm sorry but I forgot to write that message down. Seems to be the standard when something can be emerged.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm welcome crisdean,

simply because lspci isn't provided by lspci ;)

currently there's no functionality like in ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install lspci

"you're looking for the app lspci ? try installing it via emerge pciutils" ;)

I dunno why pciutils and usbutils aren't installed on your box but install those and you're able to execute

lspci and lsusb :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
try installing it via emerge -1 pciutils"

Beware because it'll be removed once you run emerge -aq --depclean!

lspci is part of sys-apps/pciutils :) . Next I would first emerge xorg-x11 alone and xterm for a start. Mind variable VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf. Setting that variable will automagically pull down the required video drivers. Same goes with INPUT_DEVICES -- but the defaults if unset should match.

Then configure X so that is starts. Recent versions of xorg use HAL for autodetection so that your xorg.conf will be very short -- Ubuntu's only got three sections, serverflags, files and modules, IIRC.

After that go on with getting kde to work. It's only a little step further. Run startkde on the command line (but not as root!) to check it's starting.

Enjoy.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
try installing it via emerge -1 pciutils"

Beware because it'll be removed once you run emerge -aq --depclean!

fixed !

thanks for the hint, VinzC

I had supposed that it was installed by the system-profile but I was wrong

long time has passed since I last time installed packages manually from memory ;)

(I'm keeping track on a txt-file which packages are installed and follow it when a fresh install is in order -> pretty seldom nowadays since there are stage4-tarballs lying around :) )

VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
I had supposed that it was installed by the system-profile but I was wrong

I also noticed pci-utils no longer are installed with the system. Hence I put a usual lot of stuf in /etc/portage/profile/packages, example:
/etc/portage/profile/packages:
*sys-process/vixie-cron
*sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
*sys-fs/lvm2
*sys-boot/grub
*sys-apps/iproute2
*sys-apps/pciutils
*media-fonts/terminus-font
*net-misc/dhcpcd
*net-firewall/iptables
*app-admin/syslog-ng
*app-admin/sudo
*sys-apps/v86d
*net-misc/bridge-utils
*net-misc/ntp
*app-portage/gentoolkit
*net-fs/nfs-utils
*net-dns/openresolv
*app-admin/webmin

d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to Gentoo, if you want a good advice, read all the great documentation here and post a lot of questions :

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml?desc=1

You will see that Gentoo has a really good documentations :P
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

thanks for the int that lspci is part of pciutils :) And startkde is a good tip. Printed the KDE guide and went for xorg-X11 (despite the guide saying that the server should be enough).

So what I did was (after the basic gentoo was working)

Code:
emerge xorg-X11

Code:
emerge kde-meta

I will install lspci and then try to see if my wireless card will be recognised. Windows is saying that this card is an Intel 3945ABG. Does this help? Have some stuff on my windows drive that need to be copied first.

I think I tried startkde and gentoo didn't know what I was typing so I guess something went wrong according to the messages at the end. Where can I find the logs for the kde installation? Guess this would help me and more likely you guys to guide me there and give me some advice.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crisdean wrote:
Windows is saying that this card is an Intel 3945ABG. Does this help?

For sure! (for a change Windows proves somewhat useful! ;) )
Code:
emerge -avq iwl3945-ucode wireless-tools wpa_supplicant
and configure /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf according to the wireless network you'll use. Your wireless card will appear as wlan0. There will also be a master device wmaster0. Yo don't need to do anything with it, just leave it there, it won't bother you.

EDIT: As far as I can see, startkde is installed with kde-base/kdebase-startkde, which is a dependency of kde-base/kdebase-meta -- if you've used KDE split ebuilds.
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
crisdean wrote:
Windows is saying that this card is an Intel 3945ABG. Does this help?

For sure! (for a change Windows proves somewhat useful! ;) )
Code:
emerge -avq iwl3945-ucode wireless-tools wpa_supplicant
and configure /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf according to the wireless network you'll use. Your wireless card will appear as wlan0. There will also be a master device wmaster0. Yo don't need to do anything with it, just leave it there, it won't bother you.

EDIT: As far as I can see, startkde is installed with kde-base/kdebase-startkde, which is a dependency of kde-base/kdebase-meta -- if you've used KDE split ebuilds.

No I installed kde-meta which should include everything according to the KDE document. So I have no idea. I ran
Code:
env-update
and
Code:
source /etc/profile
According to the document the xserver was showing the grey screen and a cursor I could move. I will try to reconfigure the xorg.conf and take it from there. There must be a reason why KDE isn't starting.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have gentoolkit installed, run equery l kde and you'll get the (huge) list of installed KDE packages. See if kdebase-startkde belongs to the list. (You've installed KDE 3.5.10, did you?) FYI, by emerging kde-meta, you're de facto using KDE split ebuilds.
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
If you have gentoolkit installed, run equery l kde and you'll get the (huge) list of installed KDE packages. See if kdebase-startkde belongs to the list. (You've installed KDE 3.5.10, did you?) FYI, by emerging kde-meta, you're de facto using KDE split ebuilds.

Yeah it quoted KDE 3.5.1. However the document said full blown KDE environment. Is that probably an error? Will install that package and see if that will work. Thanks a lot :)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to the document the xserver was showing the grey screen and a cursor I could move. I will try to reconfigure the xorg.conf and take it from there. There must be a reason why KDE isn't starting.

you're running X with user privileges via startx ?

then you need something like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session` startkde

in your .xinitrc (residing in /home/user)

or select it at kdm ...

/etc/conf.d/xdm
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

or
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm-3.5"

then (re)start via

Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm restart

d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays I use kde-base/kdebase-meta even with Kde 4.x, because I'm sure that everything is included to have a minimal Kde that is working.

Kdebase-meta include kde-base/kdebase-startkde
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys. I will install gentoolkit and send a list to this board here.

Will keep you posted then. Just need to swapthe drive and off I go. Btw. I just saw that I can add some more flags to my make.conf. Only used 3 parameters :D
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, if you use the desktop profile, you don't need to modify a lot your Use flags.
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
In fact, if you use the desktop profile, you don't need to modify a lot your Use flags.

All I chose was acpi, X, sse2 and I think that's it. Thought my Thinkpad T60 would profit from some options there. Wifi would be a nice option.
Panko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivid? Or avid? My first distro of Linux was Ubuntu 8.10 with Gnome, and I didn't enjoy it. I felt as if it were a well-structured OS that had collided with the outcome of a love affair between Macintosh's and Microsoft's GUIs.Is it just me, or have a lot of other people started with Ubuntu as their first try with Linux?

Good luck installing it on your T60. I hope it goes well for you.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crisdean wrote:
Thought my Thinkpad T60 would profit from some options there. Wifi would be a nice option.

If you need help with your T60, I can help you with that, I have one too :P
crisdean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
crisdean wrote:
Thought my Thinkpad T60 would profit from some options there. Wifi would be a nice option.

If you need help with your T60, I can help you with that, I have one too :P

Hey sounds good to have back up but I haven't been working with the installation lately as I was hillwalking and getting the most out of the weather. So many things going on as well.

The only thing you could help me with would be some use flags for the T60 with KDE. My model is a 2007-66U
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: