Making an encrypted "folder"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwindoebler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Making an encrypted "folder" Reply with quote

So my lappy's hdd is encrypted with dm-crypt, but I wanted to have a seperate folder that I can leave locked until I want to save/view something. This is what I came up with after searching the internets for a little while, and I'm writing it down here so I can find it if I forget what I did somewhere down the road.

First I created an empty file. I chose 100MB because I didn't need much room.
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=./file.img bs=1M count=100

Then used losetup to create a block device using that file (or whatever it does)
Code:
losetup -f file.img
losetup -a
/dev/loop/0: [fd01]:5488872 (/file.img)

Then encrypt and open it with cryptsetup:
Code:
cryptsetup -y --cipher serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256 --key-size 256 luksFormat /dev/loop/0
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop/0 crypt

Format and mount:
Code:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/crypt
mkdir /mnt/crypt
mount /dev/mapper/crypt /mnt/crypt

From here I used it as a normal mounted device. To close it out, here is what I did:
Code:
umount /mnt/crypt
cryptsetup luksClose /dev/mapper/crypt
losetup -d /dev/loop/0

Bit of work, but file.img can be named whatever you want, and put wherever you want and will still work. I know losetup has an encrypt option, but I thought cryptsetup was a better choice. I've been out of things for a bit so I'm sure I've made this out to be more work than it needs to. Comments are welcome!
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make it even better, you could "append" the encrypted file onto a binary file, like a 600 mb avi video file, both losetup and cryptsetup support starting at offsets within the file/device specified.

It'd be easy to have a script around this to make setting it up easier, however I get the impression you want no trace left, so are you doing anything about your shell history?
edwindoebler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
If you want to make it even better, you could "append" the encrypted file onto a binary file, like a 600 mb avi video file, both losetup and cryptsetup support starting at offsets within the file/device specified.

It'd be easy to have a script around this to make setting it up easier, however I get the impression you want no trace left, so are you doing anything about your shell history?

I like the idea. Don't quite know how to do that yet (appending) but I'll look around. I read a few things on stenography (sp?) and figured I'd play around with things.

And I'll be doing something about my shell history now ;)
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add HISTCONTROL="ignorespace" to your shell profile (for example I have it in my /etc/bash/bashrc), then any command you enter preceeded by a space isn't saved in your history, which is quite useful.

As for appending, just record the size in bytes of a file (du -b filename), append your loopback image to the file with cat (cat file.img >> filename), then append the size in bytes of the loopback image to the losetup command with --offset, for example `losetup -f file.img -b 1234567`.

Only tricky thing is to remember the offset, but you can pick a number higher than what du reported, something easier to remember, although you should probably fill the space between the end of the (for example) avi file and the offset where the loop device begins with random data.
Although you'd still have the luks header...
edwindoebler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've got appending figured out.

As far as losetup goes, this is what I did.

My original filesize for the test was 81 (found through ls -la file). My test appendage (lol) was 10mb in size.

After the 'cat image.img >> oldfile.txt', I did:
Code:
losetup -f oldfile.txt -o 81

I had set up the appendage using cryptsetup, and it still opened up and accepted my password so I guess the luks header didn't get screwy. Thanks for the help!

I also uncommented the "clear" option in my /etc/bash/bashrc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: