View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: KDE only gives terminal window Reply with quote

My system comes up with my kde login. But when I log in, I dont get the full kde desktop. I just get a grey x windows background with a terminal in the upper left corner. I can't remember where this is configured.

Thanks,
Brian
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE only gives terminal window Reply with quote

There is an option for what type of session you want to use in the bottom of the kdm login screen. Did you choose kde-3.0.x in that?

axslinger wrote:
My system comes up with my kde login. But when I log in, I dont get the full kde desktop. I just get a grey x windows background with a terminal in the upper left corner. I can't remember where this is configured.

Thanks,
Brian
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That option is no longer available. It used to be there. And I don't recall making any changes.

Thanks,
Brian
phantasm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your not launching XDM instead of KDM? Just a guess
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some additonal info. When I boot, I get a KDE login, but my only session types are Default and Failsafe. Either one just gives me an X terminal. If I type startkde in that terminal, then KDE will start but if I close the terminal, KDE dies. It doesnt seperate from the terminal.

If I go to console #1 (the black, standard terminal) and type startkde, it can't find a display. It says 'Unable to open display' and 'Cannot connect to Xserver' as well as '$Display is not set'. To me, that means that there is no Xserver running.

If instead I just type KDM, I get the same 'older looking' KDE login with only the Default and Failsafe Session Types available.

Now, if I kill all kde and kdm tasks and type in startx, it goes right into KDE on console 7. But there are 2 things not quite right: 1) It doesn't go to a login. It goes straight to KDE and 2) It continues to send its output to console 1. If I hit Ctrl-C in conlole 1, it kills KDE. It used to run independent of the console it was started from. Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks,
Brian
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axslinger wrote:
Heres some additonal info. When I boot, I get a KDE login, but my only session types are Default and Failsafe. Either one just gives me an X terminal. If I type startkde in that terminal, then KDE will start but if I close the terminal, KDE dies. It doesnt seperate from the terminal.

This is expected. When you start up this way, the X session will be killed when the xterm goes away (standard xdm/kdm... behavior)

axslinger wrote:

If I go to console #1 (the black, standard terminal) and type startkde, it can't find a display. It says 'Unable to open display' and 'Cannot connect to Xserver' as well as '$Display is not set'. To me, that means that there is no Xserver running.

This is because you haven't set the display variable. If you do "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and then do startkde, it won't complain about the display. However, your X server may not have started, so don't do it yet :)

axslinger wrote:

If instead I just type KDM, I get the same 'older looking' KDE login with only the Default and Failsafe Session Types available.

We'll come to this later.

axslinger wrote:

Now, if I kill all kde and kdm tasks and type in startx, it goes right into KDE on console 7. But there are 2 things not quite right: 1) It doesn't go to a login. It goes straight to KDE and 2) It continues to send its output to console 1. If I hit Ctrl-C in conlole 1, it kills KDE. It used to run independent of the console it was started from. Hope this makes sense to someone.

This is correct too. startx starts your X session and not your kdm. It will send output to the console too. You can do:

Code:

startx &> /dev/null &

it will startx in the background and send output and errors to /dev/null. If this is OK for you, you can stop here.

Back to kdm. I guess you have emerged kde3. If you have, start kdm explicitly by doing /usr/kde/3/bin/kdm to make sure you are not running an older version. If this still does not work, you need to look at the directory /etc/X11/Sessions. It will list the available kdm sessions and as scripts. If you don't find something that says kde... there, you would need to dump the following code into a file "kde-3.0.2" (or "kde-3.0.1"):

Code:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/kde/3/bin/startkde

Make this script executable by doing:

Code:

chmod a+rx /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.0.2

This file should have come from kdebase already. So, you can also try re-emerging kdebase to see whether you get the file back instead of doing the above.
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doing
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
then running startkde and I got
Quote:
xset: unable to open display "0.0"

That message came up several times, then a slew of other failure messages came up. Just typing in kdm still gives me a login, and now I have a kde option for the Session Type, but when I select kde then login, I just get the X screen with xterm in the upper left corner. So basically, nothing has changed. But, StartX will still get me into a KDE session, without a login, and outputting data to vc1.

So thats where it stands right now. Ho hum.

Brian
axslinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has been resolved. My kdmrc file got whacked when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.0.2. Restoring an old file fixed it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: